Will a 22 cal really have any value? - Page 6 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

View Poll Results: a 22 cal rifle or pistol if SHTF would be my?
22 cal would not be first choice 360 75.79%
22 cal is my first choice 115 24.21%
Voters: 475. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2016, 10:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giddyupsut View Post
I would probably take my Glock 9mm and my Oly Arms 9mm carbine.
I can't seem to find .22 anywhere and 9mm is everywhere.
Not a lot of meat left to eat after you hit a squirrel/rabbit with a 9mm.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:39 PM

Best thing you can do is be FAR from "civilization" as possible. There won't be the degree of competition. But you better take everything you need & hide well.
This does not sound very attractive or practical, unless you had the means to have the bug-out destination, supplies, & transport arranged ahead of time.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:54 PM

The 22lr's value is that you can carry/store a lifetime supply of ammo and any animal can be killed with it with the right shot.

The disadvantage is that it would have terrible stopping power against an attacking force.

In a true global SHTF scenario, it seems to me that the first battle is the population crash due to lack of support systems and lack of ROL. That is where the AR & pistol come in. After the population crash, a nice 5.56 bolt rifle would be ideal, imho.

In Katrina, we only had partial ROL failure and a partial loss of support systems in a localized area....in a nutshell, I'm screwed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2016, 04:58 PM

For survival, I would consider a 22lr rifle for light duty. For the Bush, a M1 Carbine or Mini 30. Pistol, nothing beats the ol' 1911.

Of course if one wants long distance hunting, in a SHTF situation it most likely be dependent on the terrain/environment and shots over 400 meters for game is most likely not too practical.

Horace and Alexander Suvorov
Old 01-17-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in TX View Post
You mean other than being able to . . .
Carry 1,100 rds in two small cartons weighing only 8 pounds for both cartons.
Allow an elderly, disabled shooter or younger shooter to use a lightweight, accurate weapon without a lot of recoil.

The .22 is actually a great game-getter if you know what you're doing and you can actually hit the rabbit or squirrel.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but what you very seem to be saying is that everyone should buy/carry scarier looking guns for the purposes of intimidation so that their robberies after TSHTF go a little easier or to try and intimidate people into doing what you want by brandishing a gun.

Was that what you're saying?

During disasters or civil unrest a thief, armed robber or looters chances of getting shot, stabbed or beat in the head with something heavy are way better than what they are currently and around here they're dying and getting jacked up with some regularity.

Might work for a little while, but that sort of thinking will get you killed eventually.
Excellent points!
Old 01-31-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Jackson View Post
Even if its just 1 outage in a major city and the people cannot get out. If its Martial Law and you are stuck. Weather related etc.... I just do not see the use of a 22 over just about anything else. Give me a scenario where the 22 rifle is best choice.
A 22 has no recoil. They are accurate. Ammo is cheap, less bulky, and weighs nothing. Many have high cap mags. Easy to care for.

Many deer are poached each year with a 22. I have seen treed bears and cougars taken with them. They will kill small game quickly and with little tissue damage.

They will kill a human. Or zombie.

My bug out bag has two 22s. A 10-22 with a half dozen 25 round mags and a Browning Buckmark 6" with 4 mags. I carry 1000 rounds.

As for wanting a scenario well if I shoot you twice in the head with a 22 or once in the chest with my 45 will you be any less dead?
Old 01-31-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKandU View Post
Again where is the Proof, rumors of wars, and economic collapse have you living a life of fear. Possible what you are really doing has become a HOBBY that gotten out of control, and has NO real possibility of working, but its fun to think it will. Yea you maybe fine for a while till You know exactly what's lacking for preparedness runs out water, fuel or spare parts what ever that might be, but there will always be just one more thing that won't be there. If you could only get THIS, and then If you could only get THAT. As for the bears, your really more afraid of the two footed ones than the four aren't YOU,
Hmmm. Katrina, Andrew, tornadoes, Mt Saint Helens, earthquakes, unemployment, fire, etc etc etc.

There are many reasons to be prepared. Not just wars.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In MT View Post
A 22 has no recoil. They are accurate. Ammo is cheap, less bulky, and weighs nothing. Many have high cap mags. Easy to care for.
if you search hard you can get 9mm for about the same price as 22lr these days. not saying 22lr is not a useful round, but in this context i think i would have stock of stuff bigger than 22lr. thats just me.

for "preparedness", i would opt for a larger round than 22lr. ballistic tip 22mag might be in my inventory for certain use (longer range deer, coyote, turkey, etc), but i would probably seek to stock up on 9mm.

Last edited by 1911_Kid; 02-01-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:47 AM

I enjoy .22LR and stock some ammo for a couple firearms as a form of *be prepared*...

That said, there is a reason most 20th and 21st century warfare (so far) was (is) not fought with a .22LR rifle or handgun.

For me, the above is evidence enough to opt for a centerfire chambered arm in a running around, end of days scenario.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:21 PM

IMO, if someone finds value with 22lr today, then they will find value with it during a time of crisis. If you small game hunt today with 22lr, then no reason to not do so later. It of course would not be my first choice for home defense but then I have plenty of other guns for that. However I do find uses (value) for the caliber.

1) Due to cost per round, where I might stock a few thousand rounds each of the big boys, I can stock tens of thousands of 22lr.

2) During a time of crisis, I will have some folks on my property that are not shooters. Last thing I want to give them is a large caliber gun, be it pistol or rifle. They will get one of my 15-22s, where I know they will not be intimidated by the gun. Such a gun makes a great trainer for moving up to a real AR.

3) No weapon I have is quieter than my bolt action 22lr CZ with suppressor attached. My suppressed 9mm & 300 Blackouts are nice but the CZ sounds like a pellet gun. That gun with a Leupold is also exceptionally accurate. There is great value in being stealthy.

Last edited by Redneck Jim; 02-01-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:29 PM
Administrator

In my opinion this argument is really moot, as any firearms you have are going to be taken away from you either by the military/LE or by roving packs of wild humans if you're out there by yourself. Unless you're bringing lots of friends with guns it won't matter if you're carrying a piddly little .22 or a full-blown tactical M1A rig. I'd almost say you'd be safer sticking things out in the city, for every single hardcore or wannabe survivalist is going to be hitting the woods and picking each other off trying to compete for that last wild deer that's still out there. I doubt there are even enough squirrels out there to feed everybody. The survivors will be the ones who band together and form new communities complete with the ability to grow their own food and all the weapons needed to keep others away. Of course as we've seen in a certain popular television show even that doesn't always work out well.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
The survivors will be the ones who band together and form new communities complete with the ability to grow their own food and all the weapons needed to keep others away.
Agree however I do think these communities will need to be prepared to assimilate many of the folks fleeing the city... not keep them away. Folks need hope & the vast majority will be willing to work to survive. Weapons will be needed to keep & maintain order as I have little faith in our government doing even that.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:44 PM

I think you are right, a .45 or 12 gauge is a better choice. I could stop a mob with either of those, or scatter them out, never to return.
Shoot somebody with a .45 JHP or 00 Buck and down they go.
You can't do with I can't do that with a .22 LR.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
Not a lot of meat left to eat after you hit a squirrel/rabbit with a 9mm.
Someone has never hunted squirrel. Head shots leave all the meat to roast.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMills357 View Post
I think you are right, a .45 or 12 gauge is a better choice. I could stop a mob with either of those, or scatter them out, never to return.
Shoot somebody with a .45 JHP or 00 Buck and down they go.
You can't do with I can't do that with a .22 LR.
yeah, but a good 22 rifle lets you plink them from 100+ yds away, and with a silencer attached they pretty much would not know where its coming from.

sniper vs too close for comfort, etc

in my view, each has its own use/purpose.

post #136 - sure, but better off to die trying if the outcome is about the same. i'd rather attempt survivalist mode then to be stuck in a situation which could be much worse.

Last edited by 1911_Kid; 03-24-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma3034 View Post
Someone has never hunted squirrel. Head shots leave all the meat to roast.
It's a rare dude who can pull off head shots with a 9mm handgun on a squirrel. Tree rats are typically 25-20 yds up a tree....so using only the side of the tree or some other object in the woods and someone's going to hit ole bushytail in the head with a 9 mm handgun????

Show me..... and I ain't even from Missouri.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:21 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Jackson View Post

Am I right or wrong?

So you're saying, you WON'T be afraid/hesitate to jump in front of one?
Old 03-28-2016, 12:33 PM

I think there's an easy answer to this question.

For all of those who don't think there's any "Value" to .22's, I'll be happy to take all of your .22 ammo and .22 pistols and rifles off your hands.

Free of charge, as they're of no value.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:24 PM

I can see the .22LR being handy for small game, but you have to get away from the cities, before it becomes impossible to do so. People will be the problem. So you need weapons that can deal with people effectively, while you make your escape from the city. The cities will quickly degenerate into chaos and anarchy, with gangs taking over. Of course getting hooked up with a gang or other group may be a even better successful approach too.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:47 AM

In the majority of realistic SHTF events you will not be running around the woods like Rambo. Likely scenarios include economic collapse, severe weather, civil unrest and rioting - rather than bugging out into the wild, you will more likely remain in your home or the home of a friend or family member. At home, I have plenty of choices for firearms available to me and my favorite in the case examples given above, would be an EDC handgun that I carry anyways and a long gun for home defense with multiple intruders in mind.

A more personal, smaller SHTF scenario is getting lost while camping, hiking, boating, etc. In these cases a .22LR rifle would be fantastic to have as a survival gun. Me, I have a 10/22 takedown.

If you really are bugging out into the woods, you're going to be mobile and, as they save, ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain. A .22LR rifle makes great sense here because you can carry a 500-round brick with ease.

I'm having a really tough time imagining a situation where I'd be engaged in urban combat with heavily armed adversaries and I'd need something like an AR. It just doesn't seem realistic. Basically, if I'm bugging in I'll have all my guns anyways. If I'm bugging out, my Glock and my 10/22 takedown are likely all I will ever need.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:04 AM

For hunting small and medium sized game another good option is a .22 air rifle. Ammo is even more compact and lighter and a fraction of the cost of .22lr
Old 03-29-2016, 08:23 PM

Well if you are worried about it?

When things go sour. Just give me all of your twenty two caliber firearms and ammo, and I will take care of you. At least until I can find someone to sell you to.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:01 PM

AR15 for me and my .45 and 9mm. Pretty much most all bases covered with those, I could be wrong but I dont think a .22 would be a great self defense weapon, unless your using it to snipe with and have it suppressed. Hope it never comes to that.!
Old 03-29-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
When things go sour. Just give me all of your twenty two caliber firearms and ammo, and I will take care of you. At least until I can find someone to sell you to.
That's so cold, it's funny! As far as .22 is concerned, all firearms become hammers and paddles, absent ammunition and bartering material for someone with said ammunition. Having made that comment; a .22/.22 ammunition will always have value.

Last edited by 1toughdog; 03-29-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:03 PM

I have to go with the .22lr. I have 125 rounds in 25 round magazines, back up rifle 50 rounds in 10 round magazines and 50 rounds in 10 round magazines for my Buckmark. I also have a 20 gauge Mossberg 500 pump gun that holds 8 rounds. That's my go to house gun. My wife can fire all of there guns. I have about 4,000 rounds of .22lr ammo. In two weeks I'll buy 5,000 more rounds. There was a time I would have been very good with any of these guns. That was a long time ago. Now I'm in my early 70's, both knees replaced. I walk without a cane but I move slowly. I can't move fast if I have to. My eyes are still very good. I live about 1 1/2 hours north of Detroit. If the SHTF I think driving south would be like having a death wish. It might take an act of God to reach the UP. I have family out west if we could make it out there. I pray this never happens but deep down I think it's going to.