Pocket Carry - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-24-2020, 02:46 PM

Pocket Carry

Hey all, I’m new here. I’m looking for a new pocket carry. I have a s&w bodyguard 380, but I really hate the long heavy double action trigger and the finger groves on this handgun. I was almost set to buy a Glock 42 until I picked up a Springfield 911. Now I’m looking at the 911, kimber micro, sig 238, any others? Would these make a good pocket carry? Would it bother any of you to carry a single action cocked and locked in your pocket? Is it safe to do so (would probably use a remora style holster)? Would it be better to carry without one in the chamber? Or carry one in chamber and carry half cocked? Sorry for all the questions. I’m completely green when it comes to 1911. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:50 PM

i have some bdu's i can carry a g19 in. a 26 even easier, of course
Old 03-24-2020, 02:55 PM

If you think the .380 is adequate, look at the Browning 380 1911.

I almost always carry in a holster...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browning300 View Post
Or carry one in chamber and carry half cocked? ... Iím completely green when it comes to 1911. Thanks.
Sure, there may be somebody that carries a single action auto on the half cock, but nobody is going to teach that. I wouldn't do it.

If I were carrying a single action auto in my pocket, I'd use a holster, and probably a kydex holster to make sure nothing is moving the levers or trigger.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:05 PM

Kahr builds a few good pocket carry alternatives, most in 9mm or .40 s&w. They are a fairly unique option.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:26 PM

I will pocket carry a Sig P938 or a LCR. Both reliable, light and compact for pocket carry in a Desantis holster.

Also as someone else stated, Kahr has a reliable line such as the PM9, CM9, and PM40, etc.

All are about 18 to 20 oz loaded.

For a semi-auto, I prefer something with a thumb safety like the P938... just to reduce the unlikely even of a negligent discharge!
Old 03-24-2020, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Cocked n' locked should be okay for pocket carry, or at least as safe as a DAO without a safety is. Always carry it in a holster that covers the trigger. Never simply put it in your pocket w/o a holster. Also be aware of two potential issues: One, the hammer can snag on the pocket during the draw, and Two, be aware that pocket lint can collect in the gap between the hammer and firing pin and cause a misfire.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:40 PM

Cocked and locked is fine for pocket carry, but absolutely use a good pocket holster for it.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:16 PM

Thanks for the replys and other suggestions. I’m not limited to manufacture or caliber (mainly just size as I want a pocket gun), I just want to make sure I get it right this time and not buy another one like my bodyguard that I don’t like. The grip and trigger felt awesome on the 911 which got me to thinking a mini 1911. I actually did have the guy at the gun counter tell me if I’m going to pocket carry to carry half cocked. If I do get one I just want to make sure I’m carrying safely.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:19 PM
Administrator

The guy at the gun counter was an idiot. Never carry a single-action semi-auto half-cocked as it's dangerous for a number of reasons.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
The guy at the gun counter was an idiot. Never carry a single-action semi-auto half-cocked as it's dangerous for a number of reasons.
I’m completely new to 1911 and just trying to learn. Please explain how it’s dangerous.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:39 PM

Dale Fricke makes a great mini holster that fits over the trigger guard. It absolutely prevents something getting in the guard & pulling the trigger. It's the Zacchaeus.
Hope the link comes up.
www.dalefrickeholsters.com
Old 03-24-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Iím completely new to 1911 and just trying to learn. Please explain how itís dangerous.
THe safety in the 1911 actually *locks* the hammer. It sticks a cam into a notch in the hammer.

When you half-cock, you cannot engage the safety. Hammer coming down from half-cock could ignite the round in the chamnber.

The thing is perfectly safe cocked, one in the chamber, and locked with the thumb safety. Ever hear the saying "Cocked and Locked"

The 1911 is where it came from.

Any other way is opening yourself up for disaster. Empty chamber? now you have to rack the slide, under duress. It could end up costing you your life.

One in the chamber, hammer down? Now you ahve to cock the hammer fully, risk your thumb slipping off, disaster. Could end up with you getting shot, or having a negligent discharge *or both at the same time*.

One in the chamber, cocked and locked -- all you do is push down on the thumb safety. You should be pushing the safety down as you draw anyway, finger off the trigger.

The 1911 and anything along those lines (sig p238, p938, pocketlite Mustang, real Mustang, baby .380 1911 -- all work along the same lines.

This is bound to descend into another of the thousands of threads on how to properly carry a SAO 1911-esque pistol.

For me there's only one proper way -- Condition One -- hammer back, safety on, one in the chamber. In a good holster.

I have a P938 and carry it every day almost. In a 4 o'clock in the waistband holster. It's always cocked and locked unless I'm cleaning it or shooting it.

Pocket carry is for movies. Or people with gigantic pockets. If you do pocket carry at least stick it in a decent pocket holster.
-----------------^--------------
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, FL Carry
Old 03-24-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Iím completely new to 1911 and just trying to learn. Please explain how itís dangerous.
The original and traditional modern designs of 1911s don't have a trigger block safety. Some actually do, but many of us don't want to get into bad habits since the original design was only safe when fully cocked and locked. Hammer down or half cock notch can potentially allow an impact to the hammer to send the inertial firing pin to the primer.

Not having a round chamber is generally a bad idea for a civilian. When you need your gun, you don't want to be fiddling around trying to rack it especially if you are in a tussle.

Though I love all steel, at least all metal hammer fired guns including DA/SA, the striker-fired 9mms have found a role in my pocket. The Beretta NANO was my original winner because it doesn't print "gun" in some of my pockets. Could be the holster combo (always use a holster including pocket carry). You won't like the NANO however, because you don't like that long DA revolver-like trigger pull that is relatively heavy. That said, I still like it, but I've grown to the like th Sig P365 even better. Still a striker fired gun but with more capacity and a sweet shooter to boot -- relatively light trigger pull.

Good Luck!
Old 03-24-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grey Hare View Post
Quote:
I’m completely new to 1911 and just trying to learn. Please explain how it’s dangerous.
THe safety in the 1911 actually *locks* the hammer. It sticks a cam into a notch in the hammer.

When you half-cock, you cannot engage the safety. Hammer coming down from half-cock could ignite the round in the chamnber.

The thing is perfectly safe cocked, one in the chamber, and locked with the thumb safety. Ever hear the saying "Cocked and Locked"

The 1911 is where it came from.

Any other way is opening yourself up for disaster. Empty chamber? now you have to rack the slide, under duress. It could end up costing you your life.

One in the chamber, hammer down? Now you ahve to cock the hammer fully, risk your thumb slipping off, disaster. Could end up with you getting shot, or having a negligent discharge *or both at the same time*.

One in the chamber, cocked and locked -- all you do is push down on the thumb safety. You should be pushing the safety down as you draw anyway, finger off the trigger.

The 1911 and anything along those lines (sig p238, p938, pocketlite Mustang, real Mustang, baby .380 1911 -- all work along the same lines.

This is bound to descend into another of the thousands of threads on how to properly carry a SAO 1911-esque pistol.

For me there's only one proper way -- Condition One -- hammer back, safety on, one in the chamber. In a good holster.

I have a P938 and carry it every day almost. In a 4 o'clock in the waistband holster. It's always cocked and locked unless I'm cleaning it or shooting it.

Pocket carry is for movies. Or people with gigantic pockets. If you do pocket carry at least stick it in a decent pocket holster.
Thank you for the reply and the informative post. I have tried and tried iwb carry. Got pants on me size bigger, got a big hefty belt, tried hybrid holsters, kydex holsters, and fabric holsters. I’ve tried with a Glock 30, smith and Wesson shield, and a j frame. No matter what I do or try I’m extremely uncomfortable and also fear the butt of the gun will show and end up leaving the gun in the truck. Pocket carry actually works for me and is the only way I’ll actually carry the gun all day. I always use a remora holster with my bodyguard.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveVK View Post
Quote:
The original and traditional modern designs of 1911s don't have a trigger block safety. Some actually do, but many of us don't want to get into bad habits since the original design was only safe when fully cocked and locked. Hammer down or half cock notch can potentially allow an impact to the hammer to send the inertial firing pin to the primer.

Not having a round chamber is generally a bad idea for a civilian. When you need your gun, you don't want to be fiddling around trying to rack it especially if you are in a tussle.

Though I love all steel, at least all metal hammer fired guns including DA/SA, the striker-fired 9mms have found a role in my pocket. The Beretta NANO was my original winner because it doesn't print "gun" in some of my pockets. Could be the holster combo (always use a holster including pocket carry). You won't like the NANO however, because you don't like that long DA revolver-like trigger pull that is relatively heavy. That said, I still like it, but I've grown to the like th Sig P365 even better. Still a striker fired gun but with more capacity and a sweet shooter to boot -- relatively light trigger pull.

Good Luck!
Thank you. Have you pocket carried the 365? That gun and the hellcat seem very nice, but I’m worried they will be too big and heavy.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:24 PM
Administrator

I pocket carry a P365 all the time, and I'm a little guy. Relaxed-fit or one size-over jeans does the trick.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Thank you. Have you pocket carried the 365? That gun and the hellcat seem very nice, but Iím worried they will be too big and heavy.
Indeed I have, as well as the Beretta Nano and a light weight revolver. Do you wear skinny jeans? If so then maybe too big. Non-Levi Jeans work ok as do Cargo pants and shorts. At work, straight leg cotton Dockers (standard pockets) conceal nicely. The fancier dress pants with light weight material tend to show the outline more readily if that is a concern. Some "khakis" have really deep pockets that I THOUGHT would be nice, but when the gun goes even further down the thigh it is more visible yet and may actually flop around when you walk. In general, I prefer OWB carry. If concealed (and weather appropriate) an over sweater does great to cover up a fairly large compact gun on the hip. The "high ride" OWB works best unless you are wearing a trench coat or winter coat where some of the (really nice) low ride snap affairs shine. I can still OWB a low ride 3" barreled gun with an over-sweater covering everything up. The same style of holster with a 4" barreled gun will sometimes peak below the sweater. I've never really liked the IWB method. If the pocket isn't good enough, then a belly band or shoulder holster can work. The belly band under weak side arm pit, especially if a phone, pen, etc. rides into a dress shirt pocket conceals even a full size gun nicely.

Regardless of carry style, practice the draw with an unloaded firearm until you gain confidence. One can non-nonchalantly put a hand in the pocket without raising many alarms which would allow for a quick draw if the situation evolved into it. Otherwise, the process might be slower than you think. It requires situational awareness to know whether you should have your hand(s) in your pocket. A pocket gun is great to have at bed time despite what everyone recommends in a full size affair. You might not put your full size night stand gun in your robe or PJs when getting that morning coffee or going to the bathroom. . . You don't pick the time and place when you need to defend yourself; better to always carry!

I practiced the under armpit tucked in dress shirt draw to the point where the wife had to teach me to sew my own buttons back on! JK!
Old 03-24-2020, 05:40 PM

I bought a Kimber Micro 9. Mine is the Shot Show model that came with a IWB holster. It is not uncomfortable to carry.

At the gun show I was able to side-by-side compare the 911, P-365 and the Micro 9.

No problems so far but I've only put about 500 rounds through it.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
I will pocket carry a Sig P938 or a LCR. Both reliable, light and compact for pocket carry in a Desantis holster.

Also as someone else stated, Kahr has a reliable line such as the PM9, CM9, and PM40, etc.

All are about 18 to 20 oz loaded.

For a semi-auto, I prefer something with a thumb safety like the P938... just to reduce the unlikely even of a negligent discharge!
I pocket carry a Sign P938 in a Desantis also. Before that for a few decades, a Colt Pocketlite .380 in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster . I carry chambered round, hammer down, safety off. I thumb cock it when I draw. Been doing it almost 40 years with no problems. Someone will now tell me I'm wrong.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:50 PM

Pocket carry?

Lighter
1. A smaller H&R snubnose 22lr revolver. 2” or 4” barrel maybe a 22 magnum revolver.

A tad heavier
2. A cz82’s in 9 mm mak
3. A cz83 in 380 acp, 32 acp, 9 mm mak

I like the chambered, double action first shot of the cz pistols.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 03-24-2020, 05:51 PM

Just don't do as Plaxico Burress (former NFL) did. Far higher risk to himself and others than self-protection gained. Choose the high road in regard to carry practices and gear.

A lot of really good, detailed advice in preceding responses. An obvious common denominator is use of a good holster...not the Plaxico Burress method. (Plaxico appears to have stuck his gun in his waistband, so not technically pocket carry, but still similar safety principles and concerns).

Personally, I don't pocket carry. Prefer to carry heavier metal in a good OWB holster, one designed for easy, fast draw. But that's me. People with different circumstances might find OWB +heavier gun to be ill-suited for their purposes.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 03-24-2020 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grey Hare View Post
Not exactly true, Old Grey.

The Sigs 283 & 938, at least, have a completely different mechanism and work
completely different.

You CAN rack the slide with the safety on. Can't do that with a true 1911.

They have a trigger block mechanism.
Dropping the hammer without the trigger pressed won't fire.

I obviously would not carry a true 1911 with a live chamber and the hammer down.

But the little Sigs are actually completely safe that way.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:49 PM

Currently pocket carry S/A Hellcat 9x19 - previously pocket carried:
XD9,
EMP 9
XDS .45, and
G42 .380

Hellcat ideal size and great capacity

Grant

NRA - Life Member
NRA - LE Instructor. Member IALEFI
Old 03-24-2020, 07:03 PM

I love my 1911's, but the Ruger LCPII is what I pocket carry. It has been completely dependable since new. It fits my hand well, and of all the pocket guns I have tried, I can shoot it best. At 7 yards I can quickly empty it into a fist sized group. If I take a little more time, I can cut that group size in half. On top of all that, it's easier to pocket carry than my phone. Do use a holster, whatever pistol you end up with.