New Competition... - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-24-2020, 05:57 AM

New Competition...

Have not bought a recently manufactured Colt since the TALO Commander .38 Super probably 9 years ago now and have been eyeing the Competition model...seems to have everything I want and nothing I didn't need...

Found a very clean stainless one GunBroker and won the auction last night...will get it into the house for a little under $800...

Anyone else have one...and how do they shoot...

Have a couple extra barrels around in 9mm and 9x23 that I may fit to the gun....

Bob
Old 03-24-2020, 07:21 AM
1911 Aficionado

I handled one the other day.
It felt very good in the hand, and the grip safety was actually disengaged by my grip, which I think is a first.
The trigger on this example had been massaged, so can't comment on what to expect in that regard.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

I don't have the stainless Competition, I have the blued 9mm one. I have over 1000 rounds through it and quite happy for my $800 purchase. The gun is reliable, I haven't had a malfunction.

Like all Colts, slide corners are sharp, thumb safety is mushy, grip safety is loose and rattles. But it's not a custom gun so don't expect crisp controls. I took a file to the corners and removed the sharp edges then used the blueing pen to cover the shiny bare metal. I don't like the long factory trigger so I replaced it with a Harrison short trigger. The trigger pull is manageable.

Overall it's a fun gun to shoot.
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2020, 04:19 PM

I have a stainless and a blue. Both work well, did a trigger job on both, now both 3-1/2 lbs. Extractors came well adjusted, probably just lucky, but no cases to the forehead. I would recommend one to anyone that wants a reasonable well built 1911. Both safety's on mine worked in perfectly after a 100 rounds or so. Grip safety on one was okay, other I adjusted the spring and now it is fine.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:14 PM

Thanks for all the relies...all but two of my Colt 1911s were made before 1985 and the TALO I bougth was perfect out of the box...

To me, his model has just about everything one would want in a GM size gun and nothing that you don't, unless you are a Leftie that is...
Navak sight cuts
Undercut triggerguard
Beavertail safety
Blue or stinless

It's no Wilson but I can buy a LOT of ammo for $2500....

What kind of ammo are you guys target shooting or carrying for SD....

Bob
Old 03-25-2020, 12:54 PM

Congrats! I bought its cousin in 2018. A Gold Cup Lite in 38 Super. Below shown field stripped just after I bought it. Lovely pistol but I got to look at it in a LGS before I bought it. I will probably replace the dual recoil spring with a regular single spring and guide rod. I will put the originals in the box it came in. I got this in Nov 2018 and it did have two mags that came with it.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:33 PM

put some vz aliens on mine
eta: the 8rd mag that came with my gcnm caused jams. immediately sold the 8's that came with this one i only run tripps now.
Attached Thumbnails
20190907_175701.jpg  

Last edited by filthy phil; 03-25-2020 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:05 PM

I have 3 Competitions. An older Series 80 blued 9mm. A stainless Series 70 38 Super and a Series 70 two tone in 45ACP. All are great shooters. The 9mm needed the extractor adjusted a little due to brass to the head but it's good now. I like all three and I'm glad I bought them.
Tommcatt
COTEP #022
Old 04-04-2020, 11:21 AM

Well I was finally able to pick the gun up yesterday...and am very pleased... Other than the idiot mark the gun is like brand new... Took the gun down and it was BONE DRY...I have never seen a gun this "lubeless". Don't think it was ever shot and if it was someone put it in a sonic cleaner....Trigger breaks clean at I'm guessing 4.5#. Will put it on a trigger gauge shortly... Barrel bushing has a no slop fit both bushing-to-barrel and bushing-to-slide. It is finger turn tight. Slide to frame fit and lockup are all tight... The flat composite mainspring housing will be replaced with a serrated arched matte stainless one. The grip safety is very attractive and nicely contoured but is the only undersized part on the gun...has a lot more play in it then necessary...but that said I think that all my Colts are like that to some degree...

And I had forgotten that this is a Pre-Series 80 non-firingpin stop model...happy day... Like the S&W IL...an answer in search of a question...

Sights are excellent for my old eyes... The red FO front really stands out... The rear is even adjustable but do wish it had two white dots or a white outline... It may get changed to a set of TruGlo TFX...we shall see...

Hope to shoot it this coming week...

Bob

Old 04-04-2020, 05:04 PM

If you go to Colts web site, they have a video on how to fix that idiot scratch.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:42 PM

I've had my Competition a year & half. Very happy with it. Flawless performance & operation. It looks a little different now than when I got it.
Attached Thumbnails
canvas_competition.jpg  
Old 04-04-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhills Write View Post
If you go to Colts web site, they have a video on how to fix that idiot scratch.

Thanks...
Old 04-06-2020, 07:04 AM

Got to shoot the gun yesterday...from the looks of the internals and barrel hood I don't think it had ever been fired...and as I said abbove it was bone dry...

First rounds were some 124 grain Berry's plated flat points...printed right to POA at the initial 15 yards... At 30 on plates as long as the trigger was squeezed the plates on a dueling tree swung right around...

Only problem, and it wasn't the guns, was some of the reloaded brass was made before I had purchased a Lee undersize die that irons out any case web bulge. For the last 20 years when Colt says MATCH on the barrel it is TIGHTLY chambered... Some of the 124s failed to completely go into the chamber. Switched to a 140 grain SAECO 383 and it fed every round...

Very happy with the gun. Friend who was I was shooting with was very impressed also...he hit every plate he shot at but one...

Bob
Old 04-07-2020, 02:31 PM

I purchased a series 80 stainless competition in 38 Super a couple of years ago. Had a few problems with it and in a moment of weakness sold it.

Had thought many times of trying another and recently got one of the "jungle green" framed ones in 9mm. Love it, but still missed the Super.

Picked up a series 70 stainless in 38 Super last week and look forward to trying it soon. Hopefully it will perform better than the 80 series I had before.

One thing my 9mm does is occasionally ejects brass at my head. It never fails to eject and only does it once in a while so I hesitate to mess with it yet. I only have 100 rounds through it so far.

To those of you who have had similar ejections towards the head, would you mess with the adjustment or see if it gets better with a couple hundred more rounds?
Old 04-07-2020, 02:45 PM

I have had a blue model since December 2016. It has been outstanding, great trigger and very accurate. It has an issue with Remington nickle plated target ammo. A friend in Indiana had the same issue and he reported a friend in KY had the same issue. Failure to go into battery. No problem with a myriad of other brands.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:11 PM

Excellent, I have one just like yours. Every friend I let try it gives it back to me with a smile - even the polymer crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan View Post
Got to shoot the gun yesterday...from the looks of the internals and barrel hood I don't think it had ever been fired...and as I said abbove it was bone dry...

First rounds were some 124 grain Berry's plated flat points...printed right to POA at the initial 15 yards... At 30 on plates as long as the trigger was squeezed the plates on a dueling tree swung right around...

Only problem, and it wasn't the guns, was some of the reloaded brass was made before I had purchased a Lee undersize die that irons out any case web bulge. For the last 20 years when Colt says MATCH on the barrel it is TIGHTLY chambered... Some of the 124s failed to completely go into the chamber. Switched to a 140 grain SAECO 383 and it fed every round...

Very happy with the gun. Friend who was I was shooting with was very impressed also...he hit every plate he shot at but one...

Bob
Old 04-08-2020, 05:35 AM

Clay...the 9mm ejector is much longer than a .45 or .38 Super. I recently shortened one in a 9mm Defender so it could eject live rounds when using a newly fitted .38 Super barrel. Has not effected the ejection of 9mm...you may want to try shortening the ejector so it ejects the brass at a slightly different timing....

webley...the Colt chambers are REALLY tight... Try measuring the outside diameter of several different rounds and see if the nickeled cased Remington is larger...that would be my guess...

Bob
Old 04-08-2020, 08:55 PM

I got mine in March. Gave it a 2.5# trigger pull and an EGW NM bushing. 800 flawless rounds so far, I couldn't be happier with it.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:09 AM

2.5#!!! Would be very happy with 3-3.5.... Most of mine are in the 4+- pound range...2.5 is a Bullseye gun....
Old 04-09-2020, 08:21 AM

Mine had erratic ejection and was throwing brass at my head from day 1. I switched out the factory 2 spring system for a new guide rod and a 10lb spring and it helped but hasn't fixed it 100%. From reading and researching it sounds like I have an issue with the ejector or the extractor. Some say the Wilson Bulletproof extractor fixes this issue.
Thoughts?
I love how accurate this gun is but I want it to run without any issues.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:53 AM

Congratulations Bob, on the (new to you) Colt Competition! Looks like a great Colt!!
Old 04-09-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan View Post
2.5#!!! Would be very happy with 3-3.5.... Most of mine are in the 4+- pound range...2.5 is a Bullseye gun....
That is pretty much what I'm using it for. I don't compete anymore, I just wanted something that I can chew the middle of a target out at the range. All of my target guns have 2-2.5# triggers.

Last edited by RB211; 04-09-2020 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:14 PM

Chen magwell .
Egw mono .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergy7 View Post
Mine had erratic ejection and was throwing brass at my head from day 1. I switched out the factory 2 spring system for a new guide rod and a 10lb spring and it helped but hasn't fixed it 100%. From reading and researching it sounds like I have an issue with the ejector or the extractor. Some say the Wilson Bulletproof extractor fixes this issue.
Thoughts?
I love how accurate this gun is but I want it to run without any issues.

From what I have read, if the angles on the extractor are not right it will have erratic ejection and can cause feeding issues as well... It may also be loose in the channel causing it to be in slightly different position each shot.

Yesterday I changed out the stock barrel for a Colt 9x23 Winchester Conversion barrel. These were marketed back about 10 years ago when Colt was marketing guns in 9x23. In addition a 22# recoil spring and a Kings Recoil Buffer that looks like a standard recoil spring guide but this one has a spring loaded tip that helps slow the slide down the last 3/8" of an inch or so.

I don't reload 9x23 so all were the Winchester factory whitebox 125 grain soft points.

Accuracy was about as good as the Super and the ejected brass landed about 7' to the 4:00 o'clock position. Chronographed velocity with this ammo is right at 1460 fps... The 125 Silvertips 1540 fps... Probably leave this barrel in for a while...

Great gun for the money...

Bob
Old 04-17-2020, 04:07 PM

Checked the trigger pull on the Competition today... 4 pounds 6-7 oz.... The DW Guardian .38 Super I bought in December is 4 pounds 9-10 oz...