Input requested for a pistol build - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-23-2020, 08:50 PM

Input requested for a pistol build

Due to being stuck indoors for a few weeks I have decided to build another pistol, my only requirements are .300 black and 8 inch barrel. Hit me with what else it should have on it, I remember someone here had some really nice wood furniture on a .300 pistol.......I am leaning that way as far as dressing it up.

Anyhow let me know what parts/optics/options I should use guys!
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland

Last edited by Striker2237; 03-23-2020 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Due to being stuff indoors for a few weeks I have decided to build another pistol, my only requirements are .300 black and 8 inch barrel. Hit me with what else it should have on it, I remember someone here had some really nice wood furniture on a .300 pistol.......I am leaning that way as far as dressing it up.

SB3 or SB4 brace. Looks like a stock, has positions like a stock, but legal on a pistol.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 03-23-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
SB3 or SB4 brace. Looks like a stock, has positions like a stock, but legal on a pistol.
SB4 is on the list, thank you!
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2020, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Remember with an 8" AR "pistol" there won't be much to hang onto, so make sure whatever handguard you use will allow a proper hold and keep your hand from the muzzle. And don't waste much time with mounts for accessories, as there really isn't room for both your hand and accessories aside from a small light. I've got a finger stop on mine and that's about it. I also have rail covers on it because that little handguard gets really hot in a hurry.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Remember with an 8" AR "pistol" there won't be much to hang onto, so make sure whatever handguard you use will allow a proper hold and keep your hand from the muzzle. And don't waste much time with mounts for accessories, as there really isn't room for both your hand and accessories aside from a small light. I've got a finger stop on mine and that's about it. I also have rail covers on it because that little handguard gets really hot in a hurry.
I have another in this size but am trying for something a little different but still keeping the same caliber/barrel length. What stop are you using? My older one is kinda just a collection of parts I had laying around other than the folder and muzzle device......input on an upper and other parts would be appreciated since this time I will need to buy those part since I only have some BGCs laying around right now and not much else. Lower is just a poverty pony since I have a literal pile of them already!

I would like this one to be a bit better planned out, below is the older one for reference

Old 03-24-2020, 10:56 PM

I am a big fan of the JP enterprises silent captured spring for my AR builds.

Other parts I generally keep consistent on my builds:
Geiselle SSA-E trigger
Daniel Defense pistol grip.

Also if you haven’t bought the receivers yet the M4E receiver Set from Areo Precision Has some pretty nice improvements from a standard receiver set.
Screw instead of roll pin for bolt catch.
Screw instead of roll pin for forward assist.
The rear take down hole for the spring and detent is also threaded, to make install easier.
Finally, there is a tension screw in the lower that can be used to ensure Tight fit between the upper and lower

Last edited by DS01; 03-25-2020 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:37 AM

Quote:

KNS 1913 type folding adapter and a Sig MPX brace?
Old 03-25-2020, 06:37 AM

Quote:
What stop are you using?
I really like the ZeroBravo hand stop, because of itís minimalist design.
https://www.zerobravo.com/zerobravo-...op-m-lok.html#

For a less costly alternative, the Magpul hand stop kit is fantastic, very lightweight and fully customizable, in that you can only use the section that you want.
https://magpul.com/catalog/product/v...obal_color=118

Pic of the ZeroBravo. It serves a dual purpose, obviously as a hand stop, but also as as an index for my thumb to be able to activate the laser without needing to visually see the switch.

Pic of the Magpul. I only used the small hand stop part of the kit.
Attached Thumbnails
BD8C6389-3B17-4D3A-AC55-C7595B0220DA.jpeg   D79BB010-A056-4634-BA11-BF3DF0005777.jpeg  
Old 03-25-2020, 06:38 AM

I have a couple of small SBR's and they wear the same Knights Armament hand stop. Its a nice size (small) and pretty inexpensive at about $25.00. And works well.
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod80110.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6558.jpg  
Old 03-25-2020, 07:08 AM

I like the hand stop. For a pistol, I would also use an upper without a Forward Assist.

Maybe you should consider an Ambi-Lower?
Old 03-25-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
I like the hand stop.
I think the hand stop is an absolute neccessity. Naroh Arms makes a nice low profile unit that I find very comfortable, YMMV.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:29 AM

I bought/assembled:

300 BO upper from PSA.
AP lower
Rise Armament Trigger
KNS pins
SBA3 Brace
LAW Tactical folder
BAD Lever
Hogue grip
Holosun HS510C
BCM Charge Handle
Sig 7.62 Ti direct thread can
I cannot remember the bolt, LPK, and spring I used.

I also bought the 300 BO trim die for my Dillon RT1500 as well as the other dies to reload 300BO. I use Lil' Gun powder. Commercial 300 ammo is pricey.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Due to being stuck indoors for a few weeks I have decided to build another pistol, my only requirements are .300 black and 8 inch barrel. Hit me with what else it should have on it, I remember someone here had some really nice wood furniture on a .300 pistol.......I am leaning that way as far as dressing it up.

You're probably talking about mine as it's the only one I've seen with really nice wood furniture on here. It's Cocobolo, but it's not a .300, it's a .556/223 pistol and the furniture is by a company called "Indignant Arms" Enjoy.
Definitely put an Echo II by Fostech binary trigger on it.
Build Specs.
1. Fostech Binary II Trigger w/upgraded trigger spring.
2. Strike Industries Angled Foregrip.
3. Timber Creek Skeletonized Enlarged Trigger Guard.
4. PDW Collapsible Arm Brace.
5. Sig Sauer Laser Sight.
6. M-Bus Rear Sight.
7. Odin Skeletonized Extended Mag Release.
8. Phase 5 Skeletonized Extended Bolt Release (one piece).
9. Geislle Super Charging Handle.
10. Anti-Walk Tigger Pins.
11. Indignant Arms Coco Bolo Grips and M-lock Panels.
12. Trigger Depot "Mil-Spec" Ambi-Selector Switch.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0425.jpg   IMG_0424.JPG   IMG_0447.JPG   IMG_0431.JPG   IMG_0432.JPG   IMG_0433.JPG  

IMG_0434.JPG  

Last edited by tray burge; 03-25-2020 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tray burge View Post
You're probably talking about mine as it's the only one I've seen with really nice wood furniture on here. It's Cocobolo, but it's not a .300, it's a .556/223 pistol and the furniture is by a company called "Indignant Arms" Enjoy.

Beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papay.223 View Post
Beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you paypay, she was a work of love.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papay.223 View Post
Beautiful!
I agree! Not many AR style guns look good with wood, but Tray pulled it off. He was able to create a modern design with stunning wood accents, I dig it, allot.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:09 PM

The wood reminds me of a guy that I used to shoot with.

The guy had a G-3 that he paid extra money to get the wood forend on. It looked cool except when you lit that thing up in full auto you would start to smell the wood burning after a couple of magazines.

As it has been pointed out, you are going to be short on real estate for lights, etc.
You might want to consider some kind of a reflex sight, or an Aimpoint/ Eotech set up.
Of course use will dictate what you need for optics. But I am thinking of going this way on the REC-7 that I got a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited by USMM guy; 03-26-2020 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1911 View Post
I agree! Not many AR style guns look good with wood, but Tray pulled it off. He was able to create a modern design with stunning wood accents, I dig it, allot.
Thank's US1911, a lot of thought and planning went into this gun.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
The guy had a G-3 that he paid extra money to get the wood forend on. It looked cool except when you lit that thing up in full auto you would start to smell the wood burning after a couple of magazines.

As it has been pointed out, you are going to be short on real estate for lights, etc.
You might want to consider some kind of a reflex sight, or an Aimpoint/ Eotech set up.
Of course use will dictate what you need for optics. But I am thinking of going this way on the REC-7 that I got a couple of weeks ago.
lol, haha, That's funny because the first time I ran about 300 rounds through it with the binary trigger it got so hot the front wood panels fell off because the heat melted the blue lock tight off the screws holding them on. Red lock tight fixed it right up and now they stay on after she gets hot, but I don't run 300 rounds at a time anymore though it either.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:49 AM

Sig Romeo 5, and BUIS set or your choice for the top. I personally like having a standard A2 sight base for the front. You can mount flashlights on these to save handguard space. The only issue is that you'd need a 10.5 inch barrel for this. Boyd's sells some nice wood grips, and handguards.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNHipowerluv View Post
Sig Romeo 5, and BUIS set or your choice for the top. I personally like having a standard A2 sight base for the front. You can mount flashlights on these to save handguard space. The only issue is that you'd need a 10.5 inch barrel for this. Boyd's sells some nice wood grips, and handguards.
I second the SIG Romeo 5. With one recommendation of getting the 5X model. The difference between the two is the X uses a common AAA battery directly under the sight, making the body more streamlined and symmetrical. And always, use Lithium AAA batteries. They never leak.

Post #9 shows my Romeo 5X.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:13 AM

Lightbulb

T-1/T-2/H-1/H-2

NOT an SBR, but I run 'em on everything - including my Bren 805.

Old 03-28-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Check out the Gearhead Tailhook Mod 2, I have both the SBA's and Tailhooks and like the Tailhook a lot better.
They were 100.00 here the other day
https://www.gunprodeals.com/product/...sition-black-1