Indoor Range Closing Due To COVID-19 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-22-2020, 03:33 PM

Indoor Range Closing Due To COVID-19

Our private club has an indoor range that myself and another guy open up on Tuesday mornings throughout the winter for open shooting. We usually only get 8 or so regulars throughout each four hour session and they are the regular rofís.

Just got a notice that we will be closing for the rest of the season. We only had four Tuesdays left but it is somewhat disappointing, even though understandable.

Too cold here in Michigan for the outdoor range as we are supposed to get 1-3Ē of snow tonight.

Anyone else have their indoor ranges closed?

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 03-22-2020, 04:03 PM

Yep. At least four indoor only ranges within a 25 mile radius from me are closed.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:39 PM

Even our outdoor state ranges are closed. PA
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2020, 05:04 PM

Yeah, Iím not surprised on indoor ranges closing. I shoot only at an outdoor range, but for the short term I am curbing that activity due to my wife being extremely at risk. I simply canít take the chance of bringing this home.

NRA Life Member, Patron Level
Old 03-22-2020, 05:09 PM

Even though STL city and county are going on lockdown, our range is deemed necessary since so many LEO/security people train there. We're staying open for business.
Equal opportunity, not equal outcome.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:33 PM

So far our indoor range here (middle Tennessee-ville) is still good to go.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:39 PM

The great Governor Murphy shut down all ranges, both outdoor and indoor, due to a restriction on "recreational activities".
Old 03-22-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Pistolero View Post
The great Governor Murphy shut down all ranges, both outdoor and indoor, due to a restriction on "recreational activities".
He also ordered the State Police to turn off NICS for all transfers until further notice... Murphy needs to take a page from Illinoisí Governor.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:50 PM

He also ordered the State Police to turn off NICS for all transfers until further notice...[IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/pukehead.gif[/IMG] Murphy needs to take a page from Illinois’ Governor.[/QUOTE]

I just read that a few minutes ago too. I dont know how he's legally allowed to do this stuff. But the ANJRPC is going to be suing him soon because of this.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:25 PM

At some point this will become a challenge to the FIRST Amendment.
The right of citizens to assemble peacefully.

What then?
Old 03-22-2020, 06:28 PM
Administrator

In times of emergency individual rights are often the first casualty.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:29 PM

Royal Range, a very large indoor range, training academy, and retail store in Nashville is closing until further notice, just received the e-mail.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:31 PM

All my ranges are closed. Good thing I got the M1 zeroed in (25 yards, but that's exacly the zero I look for) last sunday. A week ago. I *knew* it was a distinct possibility they'd be closeing all of 'em.

If SHTF, I want this thing with me. And she's ready. By jove, I got it all done in the nick of time.

I really did want to go Markham Park 100 yards yesterday, for relaxation. To have fun with it. But nooooo. Didnt even bother posting it on the front gate.

I hope this thing illuminates the clueless as to why depending on ****ing China for so much is just wrong, and how all these anti-2A measures are also ****ing wrong.

I can dream.......

Or I can pack a 30 cal can full of 35 clips of 30-06, which is what I'm doing right now. Well right now is intermission. Once I'm done with dinner is back to The Longest Day and packing that can.
-----------------------^--------
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, FL Carry, USCCA
Old 03-22-2020, 07:42 PM

Got an email yesterday that our local indoor range is closed.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:54 PM

Ohio's new "shelter-in-place" order allows gun stores to stay open. Mine just happens to have an indoor range. I'll be going there tomorrow.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
Weapon capacity is important for those planning to miss a lot.--Bruce Nelson
Old 03-22-2020, 07:56 PM

Our local range is still open - but not on Weekends.
Limited to 10 people at a time on the line.

For now.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:24 PM

Perhaps those of us who have guns and ammo should be thankful. I certainly consider myself fortunate. If I can’t shoot for awhile, I doubt my skill will deteriorate enough to consider it an emergency. I’m not sick, don’t want to get sick and certainly do not want to be a carrier to spread the virus to others. I suggest everyone act responsible and dig in. Positive attitudes are contagious. I ask our military family to use our years of leadership to demonstrate to the non military folks that this uncharted journey we find ourselves on is an opportunity to overcome new challenges. Remember to smile so you don’t scare the passengers.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:27 PM

I belong to two clubs. The indoor is closed the outdoor is still open.

When all else fails I just open my home range. I usually don't shoot here on trying to be a good neighbor.

As in the above post most centerfire if sighted in properly at 25 yards will be within 1.5 inches to 200 yards.

All the best,
Old 03-22-2020, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Some local indoor ranges are closed, some are still open to their members only. One allow non members to enter the store section only, and only in a small group at a time, I guess to maintain the clear space between customers.

All the organized matches, events are closed at all indoors and outdoor ranges/clubs.

But outdoor clubs are still allowing members to use the facility as normal. I went yesterday just in case and burned 250 of those precious ammo that are now sold out everywhere.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky T View Post
Some local indoor ranges are closed, some are still open to their members only. One allow non members to enter the store section only, and only in a small group at a time, I guess to maintain the clear space between customers.

All the organized matches, events are closed at all indoors and outdoor ranges/clubs.

But outdoor clubs are still allowing members to use the facility as normal. I went yesterday just in case and burned 250 of those precious ammo that are now sold out everywhere.
That's the spirit my friend, and a wonderful thing to do. I burned some last weekend for a Pistol Instructor class that I was assisting in; still shot 184-7x on the DE course of fire exercise. My younger brother, who was also an assistant instructor, shot the remaining iterations of his DE course of fire to earn his DE cert and medal; definitely a fine day in spite of the sloppy and muddy conditions. Life is good.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 03-22-2020, 08:50 PM

The only public shooting range on Oahu (pop. 1,000,000) is now closed indefinitely. A lot of new gun owners are screwed because in order to get a permit to acquire a handgun you have to take a "safety course" that includes live fire. There's only 2 private indoor ranges; I heard that one now charges $300 for their "safety course."
Old 03-22-2020, 09:01 PM

I live in central Kentucky and Bud's is local to me. They sent a very recent email saying the local store would be open Monday, but the indoor range would be closed. This afternoon, the governor announced the closing of "all in-person retail businesses that are not life-sustaining" beginning Monday at 8:00 p.m. Listed among those to close to in-person sales are sporting goods stores. The businesses can still deliver locally and provide curbside delivery of online and telephone orders.

https://governor.ky.gov/attachments/...246_Retail.pdf
Old 03-22-2020, 09:18 PM

The OUTDOOR range at Island Lake is closed due to the Governor's "mandate". (privately managed on State land). Interestingly the INDOOR gun shop that you walk through to get to the range (and generally where much closer contact is possible) remains open.

Now there are "rustic" ranges (last I knew, but haven't used in many years) at the same park where one can target shoot, rabbit hunt, etc. I guess I'm not sure if the people are able to practice social distancing at their discretion in the state park woods trying to fill their freezers with rabbits with the run on meats at grocery store or not. . .
Old 03-22-2020, 09:20 PM

Mid-West Shooting Center, South of Lima, OH, has vowed to remain open for the duration of this pandemic. I was there for a couple hours today and while their gun selection was pretty thin (everything under $800 was gone) the range itself was busy as ever.
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:29 PM

The indoor range in Ann Arbor where I meet every couple of weeks with my instructor is temporarily closed as well. Last I heard the retail portion is still open but are only letting a certain number of people in at any one time. Supposed to be getting a little warmer here this week so I guess I'll be going out back between the rain days.