Good news, Bad news, Let the price gouging begin - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-21-2020, 06:08 PM

Good news, Bad news, Let the price gouging begin

Well, the stock market has dropped 30%, thatís the bad news.

But, right before the Coronavirus apocalypse I ordered a couple hundred rounds of Federal HST 124 gr for $29.95 a box. By the time it was delivered it was on line at $39.95 a box. So, Ammo went up about 25%.

I guess my inventory has gone up as much as the market has gone down. Thatís the good news, well sort of.

I guess supply and demand dictate market prices, but looking online I am seeing the days of cheap Ammo are over. In fact, as fast as prices went up, it looks like the price gouging has started.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2020, 06:13 PM

Welcome to America, but the best thing is if we don't pay the new price it will go back down. Let them ramp up supply and sit on it.
God is on the side of the best shots.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:17 PM

As we all know after Trump was elected ammo and .22's empty out of the warehouses. Some think its been a buyers market to some extent and dealers/LGS saw relieve on shipping. Just heard distributors are now raising their prices and shipping while the ammo manufactures took their normal price increase January of each year as they done for years. Ammo priced increased 3% to 5% this year but now you're right the 25% increase its the middleman doing it to us again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayor View Post
As we all know after Trump was elected ammo and .22's empty out of the warehouses.
Are you sure you're not confusing Trump with Obama? I don't remember a bit of panic buying when Trump got elected.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayor View Post
As we all know after Trump was elected ammo and .22's empty out of the warehouses. Some think its been a buyers market to some extent and dealers/LGS saw relieve on shipping. Just heard distributors are now raising their prices and shipping while the ammo manufactures took their normal price increase January of each year as they done for years. Ammo priced increased 3% to 5% this year but now you're right the 25% increase its the middleman doing it to us again.
You're confused. When Obama was elected, you can couldn't find .22's anywhere. When Trump was elected, nothing happened WRT ammo supplies or prices.

EDIT:.....BTW....if you're a free market capitalist, you can't be bitching about anyone raising the price of ammo. Demand went through the roof and the supplies are suddenly limited. You might not like it....but it's ECON 101.

Last edited by TRSOtto; 03-21-2020 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:54 PM
Administrator

The .22 ammo scare wasn't because of Obama but because of Sandy Hook. I still don't know why a mass shooting with a 5.56mm rifle suddenly caused .22 rimfire ammo to completely disappear, for it wasn't like they were about to ban it or anything. It's analogous to the toilet paper scare the rest of the country has caused. Somebody somewhere started a rumor that it was going to be hard to find, and like a bunch of bleating sheep everyone herded to the grocery stores and wiped them out.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
The .22 ammo scare wasn't because of Obama but because of Sandy Hook. I still don't know why a mass shooting with a 5.56mm rifle suddenly caused .22 rimfire ammo to completely disappear, for it wasn't like they were about to ban it or anything. It's analogous to the toilet paper scare the rest of the country has caused. Somebody somewhere started a rumor that it was going to be hard to find, and like a bunch of bleating sheep everyone herded to the grocery stores and wiped them out.
"I see what you did there.....", he said, flushed with excitement.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
My bad. You are correct. Obama's election caused the the run on 9mm and 5.56......then Sandy Hook caused the 22 shortage.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:24 PM

It's not just toilet paper. Today is my normal grocery day. There were lots of empty spaces on the shelves, the frozen food section is durn near empty, and the only meat left was corned beef briskets and porterhouse steaks.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:

I was sitting on 18k rounds of .22 when that happened. I'm like - "WHAT shortage?"

Of course, I'd been picking up a brick o' 500 with each Wal-Mart trip for years. I wonder if there's a lesson in that?
Old 03-21-2020, 08:29 PM

You have to go early when the store opens to buy groceries at present. Go later and the shelves will be empty. People are still panicking and hoarding.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:18 PM

Regarding grocery store needless shortages due to hoarding - store managers NEED to impose rational limits on individual item purchases and the normal supply chain would be able to keep up.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-21-2020, 09:35 PM

I love all of these panics.

It brings out all of the ding dongs and rank amateurs in force. It is amusing to sit back and watch.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:39 PM

When there was a shortage on 22 ammo I had a stash and traded some off to my LGS. To keep the 22 guys shooting. Here we are again full circle only worse. There seems to be a pandemic of gun and ammo sales more sales than in the past. They said there’s more new gun owners buying guns than in the past.

I always had supplies on hand enough food for a while. We are stretching meals already just incase my kids need help.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......

Last edited by 1911crazy; 03-21-2020 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:43 PM
Administrator

This time the problem is compounded by the fact that we have both gun people AND first-time gun buyers trying to all fit in the door at once. A perfect storm, unfortunately.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:26 AM

Beaware when this crisis is over there will be lots of new unfired guns at your LGS. The ones who purchased them who never owned a gun will sell them.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 03-22-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
Beaware when this crisis is over there will be lots of new unfired guns at your LGS. The ones who purchased them who never owned a gun will sell them.
I hope this ends up being true. My purchase was planned before this all happened, but patience can be rewarded.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:18 AM

I have never really understood a run on rim fire ammunition. I only have 3 guns that will shoot it, and only shoot rim fire when Iím bored. I know all ammunition can kill, but IMHO rim fire sucks at self defense. Itís pretty much only good for shooting rats, snakes and armadillos. I have not been impressed with 22 reliability in gas guns. So, I generally donít use it much, cause I believe in a humane kill that doesnít make animals suffer, and donít want to shoot any animal with something that wonít put it down, then and there.

I know 22 is light, small and a person can carry a lot of it, but so is 5.7 ammo, but 5.7 has a lot more punch. Other than its relatively cheap cost, I donít see any reason to hoard 22. Most gun owners I know are stocked on what matters and have been stocked ever since the gun-hating-confiscating-demon-wannabe evil Hilary got nominated back in 16. Then, most of those people I know bought a can of .223 everytime they went to Walmart until the stores quit stocking it.

There has been a run on guns by first time buyers. Has everyone of them felt compelled to buy a 1,000 rounds with every gun? I doubt many of those first time buyers will immediately start to carry, and if they have them in their homes, but have no training or experience, the effectiveness of those gun owners in defending themselves is going to be questionable. Further, while the virus is running amuck, there wonít be much personal firearm training courses, so it may be awhile before the new gun owners learn the basics about how not to accidentally shoot themselves or someone else.

We are charting untested waters here as a country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopknockious View Post
I hope this ends up being true. My purchase was planned before this all happened, but patience can be rewarded.
Amen to that!
Old 03-22-2020, 08:37 AM

I think about all the new gun owners who can not buy ammo to practice assuming they would want to. I know a friend of my wife's who never liked guns before wants to get one and just enough ammo to fill her "clip" so she is safe. No practice, no training, just the assumption that shooting is easy.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivoak View Post
..... I have not been impressed with 22 reliability in gas guns.....
A .22 gas gun??? Can you name one????
Old 03-22-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
I think about all the new gun owners who can not buy ammo to practice assuming they would want to. I know a friend of my wife's who never liked guns before wants to get one and just enough ammo to fill her "clip" so she is safe. No practice, no training, just the assumption that shooting is easy.
These are the people that make me nervous. Maybe someone will persuade her to make a range trip with them.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:30 AM

I think I remember reading an article some time ago that the profit margin for companies manufacturing .22 ammo is a lot smaller than for other calibers. It's more profitable to make larger calibers. Besides, many gun owners would stop shooting .22s if they were paying $20 for a box of 50 rounds. On another note if members know any first time buyers it might be advisable to reach out and emphasize safe gun handling practices. The last thing we need to happen is a surge of newbies shooting themselves or family members by accident. The media would have a field day and the liberals would howl for more laws.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
I was sitting on 18k rounds of .22 when that happened. I'm like - "WHAT shortage?"

Of course, I'd been picking up a brick o' 500 with each Wal-Mart trip for years. I wonder if there's a lesson in that?
Every paycheck i buy a few boxes of .. something. Could be .45, could be 9, could be 30-30, could be 30-06.

I do my hoarding a few boxes at a time. I'm about to amend that to I do my hoarding one case at a time.

I suspect this is the event that turns me from being a mild prepper (I grew up dodging hurricanes) to a full-retard, ham-radio licensed, armed-for-the-invasion-of-Normandy, stocked food and drinkwise for Armageddon prepper.

That, or I could ditch this matchbox of a house in Florida and move up to Wyoming, where the cold keeps the riffraff away, there's space between neighbors, and if we have to live off the land, it can be done.

Try getting a rabbit in South Florida. And I don';t mean buying one in the store...
-----------------^--------------
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, FL Carry
Old 03-22-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grey Hare View Post
...That, or I could ditch this matchbox of a house in Florida and move up to Wyoming, where the cold keeps the riffraff away...
The cold hasn't kept the Hollywoods away. They are inundating Teton county at this very moment

Their money will drive up real estate prices, and they will influence local politics

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association