Are 2011's chambered for 45 ACP reliable? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-21-2020, 12:37 AM

Are 2011's chambered for 45 ACP reliable?

Title pretty much says it. Are 2011's chambered for 45 ACP reliable or are they inherently less reliable than the 9mm guns?
Old 03-21-2020, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_byf View Post
Title pretty much says it. Are 2011's chambered for 45 ACP reliable or are they inherently less reliable than the 9mm guns?
1911 platform was originally designed around 45acp round which is usually 1.200 or longer. This puts the round closer to the barrel and increases reliability of feeding. 45 should be as, if not more, reliable than 9mm. My question is, are you looking at 2011 in 45 for competition? Carry?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2020, 01:13 AM

Well I only have three in 45 but they are fine, only problem I had with them is the Gen1 magazines, Gen2's are great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2020, 08:17 AM

No problem w/ mine using Gen-2 mags. The only problem w/ .45ACP STIs are that they are no longer made. Buy one before they disappear, which is what I did.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 03-21-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_byf View Post
2011's in 45 are reliable. 45 is the original! Reliability is all build dependant and magazines are a big part of the equation too.
SVI is highly recommended. STI is in the midst of change.

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 03-21-2020, 09:42 AM

When I was looking at picking up my first 2011, I was also torn between 45 and 9mm. I am a firm believer in 1911s in 45, so that’s the direction I was leaning for my 2011. Then I started reading forums and it seems that a lot of people state that 45acp doesn’t feed as well in double stack mags as it does in single stack mags. That’s probably true of any caliber, but I kept finding people with both who said their 9mm 2011s were much more reliable than their 45 2011s so I went with 9mm. On the other side of that argument, I’ve fired HK and Glock pistols that were double stacks in 45 that didn’t have issues so I don’t know if it’s a 2011 thing or if a lot of people just had faulty mags. Either way, it was enough to keep me away from a 2011 in 45.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:49 AM

My .45 Buzzard (An Eagle type built in a local shop.) is a fine shooter but is limited to roundnose bullets. Probably because I furnished the gunsmith with a plain ramp STI barrel I got off a match prize table. A proper STI integral ramp will serve you better.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:10 AM
1911 Aficionado

While not a 2011, I had a Springfield Hi-cap .45, and it was sensitive to case rims being oversized or out of round.

If cases were new, or fed through a push-through sizing die (better) before reloading, it ran great, but if I used old, range pick-up brass, the mags were very difficult to load to capacity, and I'd sometimes experience "stalling" during feeding, with the stack not smoothly or quickly snapping up to feed position.

I decided it was because the sides of the mags were flat, so the entire length of each cartridge was in contact, creating drag, rather than riding only on ribs pressed into the tube as with smaller calibers.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:12 AM

OP, I've had some issues with my 45 STI Costa Cary-comp over the last 2 years. As others mention, the Gen 1 mags suck. They just came out with the 10R 45 Gen 2 and I hope to solve some of the issues I've had now that I have them in hand...

Also, my slide cracked...Now STI is not the only company who ever had a cracked slide, but there is anecdotal evidence it happens more often likely then say on a Wilson Combat. This really has nothing to do with the fact that it is a 2011, more likely manufacturing inconsistencies. I have no idea if this shows up more in their 45's than 9's though.

Outside this stuff, the gun is indeed a "race-horse" (but not a "tank" which is what I would use to refer to a Wilson). I am hopping with the new Mags I will love it again, and hope the slide doesn't crack again.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 03-22-2020 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:54 PM

They *can* be. Are they, out of the box? Not always so much.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:56 PM

I don't know, but I do suspect, that there are two seperate issues that are uniquely at play with the 2011 .45- 1) the magazine, and 2) the feed geometry.

I have no experience with the 2011 .45 magazine, but it does seem that STI has made serious strides with the Gen 2 2011 magazine.

Regarding the feed geometry, everything I've read indicates that the ramped barrel in .45 is steeper than the 2-piece feed ramp. I'm interested in this, because I have a STI single stack full-length pic-rail frame destined to be a .45, already cut for a ramped barrel. I wonder if the feed ramp inserts meant for repair work could be used to convert it back to 2-piece design. I have also heard that the ramped barrel can be re-worked into something somewhat approximating the 2-piece.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:40 AM

The feed ramp can be re-cut to a more shallow angle without losing any more support than a typical GI-style barrel. I've personally never had to do that. There also needs to be a radius at the top of the ramp to allow cartridge rollover (which is something I have had to do.) Infinity and Schuemann barrels that have curved feed ramps which help feeding when the bullet strikes lower on the ramp.

The thing that seems to give me the most consistent problems is the slide stop. It can interfere with feeding and be a subtle thing to troubleshoot. If you still want the mag to lock the slide when empty, it can require some finesse to shape the slide stop lug to miss the bullet while still engaging the follower.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:26 PM

I have put about 750 rounds thru mine, including 50-rounds of Winchester Ranger-T (nee Black Talon). No issues whatsoever.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 05-16-2020, 04:53 AM

I got 2 new 10R 45 acp G2 mags from STI (and also purchased one from Dawson) a few months ago...The NRA affiliate is suing NJS to open the outdoor ranges here so I should be able to try them out soon.

Love the way the CCC shoots, and really appreciate STI sending me two mags for free, I want to love this gun again, and hope these mags seal the deal.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper