No Gun Transfers???? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-19-2020, 10:08 PM

No Gun Transfers????

I'm hearing that transfers are a no go in Tennessee?
Old 03-19-2020, 10:11 PM

If it's not registered , how would they know .
Old 03-19-2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB6464 View Post
If it's not registered , how would they know .
Well, I understand what you're saying. The thing about it is I just ordered a rifle and now who knows how long the wait will be?

Very frustrating!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2020, 11:01 PM

A local LGS owner tells me that NICS Checks initiated now will not come back until 4/1/2020.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:09 PM

^^^

I'm fine with that.

Thanks
Old 03-19-2020, 11:20 PM

Well guys, living in Tennessee I've never had to wait days for a transfer.

My wife just now texted me and asked how I was doing? I told her I was frustrated because the gun I've been wanting forever is going to be in jail when it arrives at my FFL.

She said no it ain't, it's going to be quarantined.

I kid you not!!!!
Old 03-20-2020, 12:35 AM

-

Last edited by megafiddle; 03-20-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:41 AM

PA is closing all non essentials orgs as of last night at 8pm ... one of the larger LGS’s posted they were closing ... 2 other facilities said they would be open. Gov Wolf said he will fine any non essential orgs come Sat. If anyone is interested here is the PA listing of company types.

https://htv-prod-media.s3.amazonaws....1584656193.pdf
Old 03-20-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonHyphenAmerican View Post
A local LGS owner tells me that NICS Checks initiated now will not come back until 4/1/2020.
I don't recall the specifics and don't have time to check right now, but I recall when the NICS was first put in place, there was a concern that this kind of quasi-gun control would occur. The law has a provision that if the approval/denial doesn't come back in X days, the transfer is de facto considered approved under the law.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:50 AM

Tennessee doesn’t use the NICS system. It uses state data.

My FFL guy says this is news to him, and he made a transfer this morning.

Last edited by Northface; 03-20-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northface View Post
Tennessee doesn’t use the NICS system. It uses state data.

My FFL guy says this is news to him, and he made a transfer this morning.
This is very good news. Thanks
Old 03-20-2020, 10:37 AM

Maybe the system is just flooded with requests, I know here in AZ the stores have been virtually over-run with 1st time buyers.
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: Benchmark Precision bobtail, Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, WC EDC X9S, NH T4, NH Counselor, Staccato C and a G43 -- 38 Super's: GI Government, WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, WC Sentinel Compact and a mid 70's Colt Commander (for a build, off to NH already)
Old 03-20-2020, 10:41 AM

How long will we have social media . Don't want people to organize. JMO
Old 03-20-2020, 11:25 AM

CO. Has no waiting period, but now it is taking 3 to 4 days to get the state run background check approved and returned due to the high number of mostly first time firearms buyers.
There is a 3 day clause in the background check if an official hold is put on an individual, then the firearm can be released without a positive response. But the CBI is skirting this by saying this delay is caused by overwhelming background check volume verses placing a hold an any individual.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderboss1 View Post
I don't recall the specifics and don't have time to check right now, but I recall when the NICS was first put in place, there was a concern that this kind of quasi-gun control would occur. The law has a provision that if the approval/denial doesn't come back in X days, the transfer is de facto considered approved under the law.
This is from the FBI website and confirms my previous comment that the transfer can take place if the NICS doesn't provide a "fail" after three days. A "fail" can't be the cause of a state-run system being unavailable.

Quote:
Should a state choose to limit their days of operation or close state offices, this could potentially impact the Brady Transfer Date (BTD) by changing the time in which an FFL can legally transfer a firearm in a delayed status. The NICS Section urges FFLs to be cognizant of the impact this may have to your day-to-day operations, and also to stress the importance of adhering to the BTD that is provided to you at the time a transaction is put into a Delay status. The Brady Act does not federally prohibit an FFL from transferring a firearm after the third business day expires, even if the NICS Section has been unable to provide a proceed response, pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 922(t)(1).
Old 03-20-2020, 02:41 PM

Tennessee goes through the TBI. I bought a rifle yesterday at lunch and the backround didn't go through until 2:00. It's usually 3 or 4 minutes.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderboss1 View Post
This is from the FBI website and confirms my previous comment that the transfer can take place if the NICS doesn't provide a "fail" after three days. A "fail" can't be the cause of a state-run system being unavailable.
I have read an article of a case where the background check approval timed out after 3 days, and the customer got his gun... only for them to come up with something like a pending domestic abuse restraining order weeks later.

The local PD was then tasked with retrieving the gun with a SWAT force.

It will be interesting to see if more of these 'timed-out' transfers happen with harden criminals taking advantage of Corvid virus NICS blackout.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
I have read an article of a case where the background check approval timed out after 3 days, and the customer got his gun... only for them to come up with something like a pending domestic abuse restraining order weeks later.

The local PD was then tasked with retrieving the gun with a SWAT force.

It will be interesting to see if more of these 'timed-out' transfers happen with harden criminals taking advantage of Corvid virus NICS blackout.
This is the problem that was shown after a couple of the mass shootings last year, including the church shooting in Texas. The system is only as good as the data provided to it. If the locals aren't providing the data, then the system doesn't know. But liberty must be preserved before anything else.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:19 PM

Was at the LGS in Clinton TN this afternoon, they said background checks were taking about two hours. Normally they take about 5 minutes.

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/lo...2-0d6bac48e001

Last edited by mk70ss; 03-20-2020 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:15 PM

Today was the last day in PA, according to my local shop.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:12 PM

On the Nash vegas news today they had a news report about transfers in Tennessee. They said one of the people that work in the department that does the transfer is currently out with the virus. And the number of background checks has more than doubled in the past couple of weeks. So transfers are very slow.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:31 PM

I just got a tracking number for my order. It is scheduled to arrive at my FFL 3/26. Kinda makes a person wonder how things will be by then. Time will tell.

Just want to throw this out, I don't want anyone on the forum to get the impression that I am being selfish.

First and foremost is that we get through this terrible time in our lives safely. I hate that our nation and others are going through this. Really hating that people are losing their lives over this.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:33 PM
Administrator

I hate that people are losing their lives and their life savings, while the top 1% have been doing things to protect theirs for a couple of months already.

I have a new toy sitting in gun jail as well, and I'm beginning to wonder if I'll be able to pick it up next week. Right now the gun shop is still open and doing a ton of business, but the governor could shut their doors any day now.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:05 PM

I live in Alabama and went to Pawn Shop in Mississippi and bought a Bush Master AR they ran the check and took no more than 5 minutes and brought it home with me no problems. Love living in Alabama..
God is on the side of the best shots.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:08 PM

In Michigan, if you have a CPL, you walk out with the gun.