Shooting CHRONY Beta model - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-11-2020, 12:02 PM

Shooting CHRONY Beta model

Have any ever made a spare interconnecting cable for the remote??

I have tried, but always get ERRL message. I have studied and examined the cable with Ohm meter and can find not difference between what I made and the company one??
I would like to have a spare, but the company one is pretty expensive and see no reason why a home made one is different. Any help is appreciated
Old 03-11-2020, 02:39 PM

Post a request to buy in the WTB section. It seems that "cronos" have a short life span....heard it from a friend!

Smiles,
Old 03-11-2020, 03:11 PM

Chrony life is very shot if you shoot over them "free hand" and I have killed 3 in the past like that. Shoot over them from a steady rest and that extends the life span.
I have had one cable the connecter broke at the release lever and got a replacement from Chrony. Way over priced. I am not a newby in electronics and have examined the cable and connectors, but any difference isn't obvious to me. Their cable and my replacement made cable has 6 wires, same connections, same looking connector. Was only wondering if any others had made a replacement cable and could inform me on what they did?? No replacement cables on Ebay either?

Will post in WTB section, if no one has info on making them.

Thanks for your reply

Last edited by lashlaruhe; 03-11-2020 at 03:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2020, 07:35 PM

Thanks for admitting to..….

I'm absolutely sure that they are magnetic to "lead"!

I shot mine when anxious to test a load with a new powder. I was mounted to the top of a camera tripod. Who knew that a gust of wind from the left across the "sky screens" would lift it up! Bam , 230 grains of 45ACP dead center of the LCD!

Now I only shoot across mine at the indoor range with the new one!

I will double check to see if I have the aforementioned cable. If I do I'll send it to you.

Smiles,
Old 03-13-2020, 04:50 AM

Chronograph.....

I purchased a "Green" Chrony chronograph that is now over 35 years old, and still use it to check the power factor of my reloads. I do not let others shoot over my chronograph, but I will shoot their gun for them once I have established the POA vs. POI at 15-20 ft. It is surprising how different people see the sights differently than others!

My "no frills" Chrony cost $99, and I have taken the liberty to make some modifications that allow proper functioning on bright sunny days. I made a thin wood two piece top with the underside painted white, that allows better readings since it provides the proper shade. If the sun is low on the horizon, I will staple a USPSA cardboard target on the wood top to allow more shade on one side than the other.....

I use an old artist tripod to mount my chrony, and test this using a sand bag rest or at the minimum, my gun range bag as a rest. I have tested my Chrony for accurate readings several times over the years by using a Pact Chronograph, set up in-line with my less expensive Chrony, and the results were excellent when shooting across both chronographs at the same time.

My modified Chrony set up is placed in an old shoe box, so it is very portable! I have used it to check the velocity of my reloads for my pistols and rifles when needed.....
Attached Thumbnails
Chrony Chronograph.jpg  

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 03-13-2020 at 04:58 AM.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:45 PM

Shooting Chrony Beta at Optics Planet $131.79

X 3 = $395.37

Lab Radar that stays on the bench behind the muzzle, $559...

put that way it's only about a hundred sixty bucks more, (about the cost of one more Beta without the aggravation) it will be more reliable and potentially far more accurate and not subject to variations in cloud cover, tree cover, muzzle blast effects.

I think I know what my next big purchase is going to be!

Last edited by Capt. Methane; 03-14-2020 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post
I purchased a "Green" Chrony chronograph that is now over 35 years old, and still use it to check the power factor of my reloads. I do not let others shoot over my chronograph, but I will shoot their gun for them once I have established the POA vs. POI at 15-20 ft. It is surprising how different people see the sights differently than others!

My "no frills" Chrony cost $99, and I have taken the liberty to make some modifications that allow proper functioning on bright sunny days. I made a thin wood two piece top with the underside painted white, that allows better readings since it provides the proper shade. If the sun is low on the horizon, I will staple a USPSA cardboard target on the wood top to allow more shade on one side than the other.....

I use an old artist tripod to mount my chrony, and test this using a sand bag rest or at the minimum, my gun range bag as a rest. I have tested my Chrony for accurate readings several times over the years by using a Pact Chronograph, set up in-line with my less expensive Chrony, and the results were excellent when shooting across both chronographs at the same time.

My modified Chrony set up is placed in an old shoe box, so it is very portable! I have used it to check the velocity of my reloads for my pistols and rifles when needed.....
Nice mods.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:06 PM

When I shot my Crony, the factory had a program. I traded it up for a Master so the display is on my bench. It cost about 1/2 a new one. I looked in the latest manual and I did not see that program.

That cable sure looks like a phone cable.....

David
Old 03-14-2020, 04:10 PM

Tried a phone cable. It plugs in but mine only has 2 conductors.

Its true, don't let any one use your chrony.

David
Old 03-14-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_root2000 View Post
When I shot my Crony, the factory had a program. I traded it up for a Master so the display is on my bench. It cost about 1/2 a new one. I looked in the latest manual and I did not see that program.
They will take any manufacturers chrono in on trade, even if it’s been destroyed.

http://www.shootingchrony.com/products_TTIYC.htm

I too have an old green one, made my own push button to access the other features it has. It’s the cheapest chronograph I own and the one I use most. Whenever it’s an overcast day, my first though is if there is anything I need to chronograph. Just flip it open, turn it on and go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDToNDyiGQI
Old 03-15-2020, 05:43 AM

Green Chrony model F-1 chronograph

I purchased my Chrony F-1 chronograph in the mid 1980's for $99. The on/off switch is on the inside of the Chrony, and the unit uses a 9 volt battery. There isn't an input jack on the side of my green Chrony to be able to add a switch to view different data on the front display screen. On the inside of the Chrony, it has a printed label that recommends using shade and not to use direct sunlight over the screens.

I made the modifications to my green Chrony to provide a consistent source of shade, which is a thin wooden two piece top with the underside painted white. It has worked very well over the past 30 years, and I still use it one or two times per year to check the velocity of my pistol and rifle ammo in my guns.

JPMorris stated in his video that he purchased his F-1 Chrony introductory model 15 years ago for $20, which I assume is a later model than my F-1 model. However, for $20, even if it is not new, it was a great price!

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 03-15-2020 at 05:46 AM.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:12 AM

Yeah you canít use direct sunlight but an overcast day is perfect.

That one was bought new in Ď02-Ď03 with a coupon out of the paper at a Sportsmans warehouse, thatís no longer around. I purchased it because it was much more compact than my other chronograph that and with such little invested, itís been a travel companion for many years.

Attached is a method I have used to chronograph in the dark in the past, a roll of white cardboard with the Chrony set on the seam where the ends come together forming a circle and a right angle flashlight.
Attached Thumbnails
26B0F8A5-7C97-4605-A19C-FBA7CFD18A26.jpeg  
Old 03-15-2020, 02:08 PM

Used mine today in bright sunlight with sky screens Never missed a shot.

DAvid
Old 03-15-2020, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
Yeah you canít use direct sunlight but an overcast day is perfect.

That one was bought new in Ď02-Ď03 with a coupon out of the paper at a Sportsmans warehouse, thatís no longer around. I purchased it because it was much more compact than my other chronograph that and with such little invested, itís been a travel companion for many years.

Attached is a method I have used to chronograph in the dark in the past, a roll of white cardboard with the Chrony set on the seam where the ends come together forming a circle and a right angle flashlight.
Mr. Morris, this may be the most ingenious thing you've come up with and that's saying a lot because I've been totally impressed through the years with all of your gadgets.

NRA Life Member
Old 03-15-2020, 09:14 PM

Thanks, sometimes I sit and think, other times I just sit.

Quote:
Used mine today in bright sunlight with sky screens Never missed a shot.
Yes, should have said direct sunlight, without them.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:37 PM

I mount my chrony on a tripod without sun shields. If the sun is too bright, I tilt the unit away from the sun.
But then you might start shooting all gangsta-style.😃