1970 Colt Commander - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-04-2020, 04:52 PM

1970 Colt Commander

Have the opportunity to pick up a Commander with alloy frame built in 1970. The guy that has it is a retired LEO and bought it new. He claims he has only put about 500 rounds through it but carried it often, hence the holster wear. I am not experienced with Colts so don’t know if it’s worth buying over something newer. Would it be a good base for a build?
Attached Thumbnails
31F2C011-917B-4816-B60C-0B0FAD4B5B46_1583362347526.png  
Old 03-04-2020, 08:15 PM

I think it's a good gun, but what is he looking to get for it? Brand new commanders from Colt are running about $900.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:57 PM

That slide looks rusted and/or pitted. The plum color sometimes develops after 40-50 years (especially with holster carry), so it could be correct for a 70's vintage, but it could also be a sign that the slide was reblued. If you have the opportunity, take the grips off and check the frame as well--the aluminum won't rust but it can corrode and rubber grips are known to trap moisture.

All said and done, if the price is right for you, buy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanator View Post
i think it's a good gun, but what is he looking to get for it? Brand new commanders from colt are running about $900.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:40 AM

550$ is max top end on that gun.

Even if it is all clean inside I would no way go over five bills. And just so you know. When you go to buy a used gun. Buy the gun, not the story.

Unless you know what you are looking at when you examine it. You will likely be a lot happier spending a little more money on a nicer gun. Or better yet save up and buy a new one. You will get much nicer gun with a good warranty. You can hunt around and get new ones for about eight bills and change.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:10 AM

Just going by the picture, $550 is a bit high for me. If the trigger is good and the slide/frame fit is good then I might try haggling a bit if I liked it enough to shoot as is.

I don't know what you intend to do with it as a "base for a build" but if you are thinking new sights, new barrel, trigger job and refinish you would be better off buying new, as USMM guy recommends. You can easily end up spending way more than the cost of a new Commander, especially if you want a checkered front strap (aluminum, remember). You also may have to wait a long time for a big-name "pistolsmith" to do the work.

If your lgs has a new Commander in stock you can handle it, make a decision and maybe even take it home the same day (I have to wait 2 weeks every time, even though I've been buying guns for 40 years). Who knows, maybe in 50 years you'll be the guy selling his Colt.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:11 AM
1911 Aficionado

I walked away from a number of very similar Commanders tagged $650-$750, fifteen years ago.
If that gun were in a gun shop local to me, it would be tagged at least that, today.
Check the condition of the frame feedramp; 500 JHPs can chew them up.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:17 AM

Ten or fifteen years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
I walked away from a number of very similar Commanders tagged $650-$750, fifteen years ago.
If that gun were in a gun shop local to me, it would be tagged at least that, today.
Check the condition of the frame feedramp; 500 JHPs can chew them up.
That is what they would be tagged out around here also. But since Colt lowered their prices on new ones. Nobody is willing to pay much for the older used ones unless it is really clean or something special.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:30 PM
1911 Aficionado

I was surprised to recently see a new Colt Classic tagged $695, right next to a used NRM 1991 tagged $950!
Old 03-05-2020, 02:36 PM

Looks like sound advice so far...see if the gents open to negotiating a better deal for you.
Maybe you can get together and fire it to check function and accuracy.
If you find great accuracy, points in it's favor, if it's poor then think twice.
If your going to send it out...well think about what you plan to have done to it.
Colt's Wiley Clapp Edition Commanders are very nice.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:20 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. My intentions were to use it as a base gun. I am able to shoot it and disassemble before buying so I’m going to give it a shot tomorrow.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:46 AM

These are great carry pieces, and would be an awesome base gun for a high-end build! Scarf her up!!
Old 03-07-2020, 11:06 AM

My question is "base" for WHAT? I have a Commander that is slightly tarted up but I no longer enjoy shooting it more than a couple of mags.

The first thing I would look at is the frame ramp. If it is not mucked up, all else is manageable.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:41 PM
1911 Aficionado

When all of the "upgrades" that would be added are already available on a new Colt, then an old gun would be a base for something closer to a restoration.

I back-dated my early Series 80, replacing the duckbill with a Commander grip safety, replacing the sights with visible versions that used the stock mounting system, etc. If I'd wanted a beavertail, Novaks (yawn), maybe something radical like an undercut trigger guard? Well, that's all available from the factory.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdy74 View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. My intentions were to use it as a base gun. I am able to shoot it and disassemble before buying so I’m going to give it a shot tomorrow.
Did you get it?
Please let us know.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:02 AM

Unless you can get it for a song (<$550), i’d spend the money on a new Colt Wiley Clapp Commander or CCO. So many fine upgrades for the money. Checkered front strap and MSH, undercurrent trigger guard, beavertail GS, brass bead front sight and wide notch (.170) rear sight which is better for aging eyes. NM barrel, lowered ejection port, alloy frame Available . Also has a nice non billboard rollmarks on the slide.
Many available in the $1100 range on GB.

Just a thought if you were planing on sinking money into a build.

Another option would be a Dan Wesson Valkyrie. About the same price as the Colt WC. Great gun also.

NRA Life-Benefactor