1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-28-2020, 02:35 PM

Going to need some pointers on getting started reloading

Hi All

I ordered a lee turret deluxe kit from Midway. I plan to reload .45 only. I ordered the 4 die set, 500 pcs of Starline brass, a lb of bullseye a lb of clays, 1000 large primers (win) and Berrys .230g plated rn. Have lots of factory 230 stockpiled that will be reloaded once shot.

I want to start with a softer shooting .230 and then get into the 200g lswc . Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced accurate LSWC to buy? Are the plated Swc any good?

As I get my equipment and set it up I am sure I will have questions for the experienced reloaders here.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:23 PM

I've used 200 gn SWC from Missouri Bullet (they call it Bullseye #1). You can get coated or just lead. I prefer the coated, but it's a few dollars more.

Have also used 200 gn plated SWC from Xtreme and I have good luck with their product as well.

Assume you are shooting 1911 given this forum? This bullet profile works great in all my 1911s and my Glock 21 but doesn't feed well in Glock 30 (presumably due to feed ramp angle).
Old 02-28-2020, 03:47 PM

I'd like to add a second recommendation for Missouri Bullet. Have used them for many years. Check out their FAQ to see how to get the most bang for your buck when ordering.

They use USPS flat-rate shipping boxes which means "if it fits, it ships." My postman hates them... :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2020, 05:05 PM

Clays and Bullseye are two great powders for low recoiling loads. A couple other bullets you might try would be a 185 LSWC or a Zero 185 JHP. If you order 1,000 bullets from Rose Distribution, shipping is included. MBC is a great company to do business with, nice folks and fast order processing & shipping.
Have fun!
Old 02-28-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordyt View Post
I'd like to add a second recommendation for Missouri Bullet. Have used them for many years. Check out their FAQ to see how to get the most bang for your buck when ordering.

They use USPS flat-rate shipping boxes which means "if it fits, it ships." My postman hates them... :-)
I'll add a 3rd for missouri bullets. Last time I ordered a bullet bundle I had to go to the post office to pick it up. Mail lady said nope ain't lifting that one LOL

Spend the few extra bucks and get the coated bullets
Old 02-28-2020, 10:39 PM

If you haven't done so, pick up a copy if the Hornady Handbook of Reloading and read chapter 1. Tons of vital information in there, especially for a beginning reloader.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:09 AM

4.5gr of Bullseye and 200gr LSWC from Bayou Bullets have worked well for me.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:19 AM

Before starting to load SWC's, pick up a U-Die (undersized die) and avoid the frustration that will come with bullet setback and feeding issues. You'll thank me later.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:25 PM

Instead of posting a long suggestion(s) on getting started reloading and suggesting specific load data, I'll say just get a copy of The ABCs of Reloading. After you read that, try a Lyman 50th Edition Reloading Handbook before you buy any more components.

When you have an idea what reloading is all about, start with a tried and true load, right out of your reloading manual. For a 45 ACP the "classic" load is a 230 gr. FMJ over Bullseye (I have about 1,000 rounds of this as my "Just in Case Load" and keep them handy, just in case). After you get the hang of this 45 ACP load (loading methods, accuracy, feeding, ejecting, etc.), then branch out to other bullets and powders. K.I.S.S.

Go sow. Double check everything. Most important, have fun...

One suggestion I make to anyone that will listen is my Rule #1; I pay little (no) attention to any load data I see on any forum, any "pet loads" website, hear from any range rat, gun counter clerk, good intended friend, or hear from any gun shop guru. I get my basic load data from published reloading manuals. I have tried a bit of data from powder manufacturer/distributor websites, but prefer hard data. In nearly 40 years of reloading I have had one squib and no Kabooms, and have developed some very impressive loads without and damage to me or my guns...

Last edited by mikld; 02-29-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:09 PM

Also, instead of buying this book, and that book, just download some of the older versions of those which have all the beginner info you need and then some. Get them here.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:43 PM

Plus one on this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
If you haven't done so, pick up a copy if the Hornady Handbook of Reloading and read chapter 1. Tons of vital information in there, especially for a beginning reloader.
You need a manual. You can get a lot of load information from powder company web sites. But you still need a good manual.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:24 PM

Second the suggestion of a manual, and you might peek at Badman Bullets...I like 'em, and free freight if you buy 'em by the thousand...think you will be well served with the Lee Turret, get a GOOD hand primer...and I like the Lee auto drum powder measure, have one on my Lee Turret, and three on my Dillon..

Last edited by Oldspad; 02-29-2020 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC17A View Post
Before starting to load SWC's, pick up a U-Die (undersized die) and avoid the frustration that will come with bullet setback and feeding issues. You'll thank me later.
Not needed by everyone. I've loaded/shot thousands of 185 & 200gr LSWC's without the use of a U-die and not had any setback or feeding issues.

NRA Life Member
Old 02-29-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikld View Post
Instead of posting a long suggestion(s) on getting started reloading and suggesting specific load data, I'll say just get a copy of The ABCs of Reloading. After you read that, try a Lyman 50th Edition Reloading Handbook before you buy any more components.
^^^^^ Yes, this ^^^^^
Old 03-01-2020, 07:14 AM

OP do you have an experienced reloader in your area who would be willing to help you get started? I have mentored several new reloaders over the years.

If you are anywhere near sw ohio pm me.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:09 PM

I was in a similar boat as the OP. I started on a single stage loader, got a few manuals and referenced powder manufacturing sites for data. Started easy with Berry's 230gr RN, loaded those to make sure they cycled, no issues. Once I got confortable, moved to Brazos 200gr hi-tek coated SWC.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:36 PM

i like coated>plated but fmj is beta still
Old 03-02-2020, 12:30 PM

By having trained a few apprentices in Automotive Electronics and Heavy Equipment Electronics, I have found the best, longest lasting method is K.I.S.S. Start simple. This is why many recommend a single stage press for beginners; simple straight forward reloading, and a single stage allows the new reloader the opportunity to learn to reload vs. how to operate a reloading machine. Starting with a basic, tried and true load also allows learning the reloading process without bothering with component intricacies, like getting a SWC to feed in your semi-auto and all solutions of new reloader's problems have been worked out and they are well known and most published.

Having a lot of years of reloading under my belt I have tried most available variations on 45 ACP handloads, but one of my most favorite is the "classic" load of Bullseye under a 230 FMJ. When I started using this load it had been in use by many thousands of reloaders, for probably 75 years, and had proven itself many times over.

Go Slow. Double check everything. K.I.S.S. and have fun...

Last edited by mikld; 03-03-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:29 PM

Thanks for all the sage advice! Once I get my press and supplies I am sure I will have some questions. Will get a manual.

I have years spent in a production machine shop running presses, brakes and other equipment so I am able to pay attention during monotonous operations for long periods of time. Otherwise I would be missing some fingers.

Thanks again!
Old 03-02-2020, 07:02 PM

Have you considered casting your own SWC's?
Old 03-03-2020, 04:25 AM

Double check everything.....

I found the comment from one of the posts rather funny.....

Quote:
Go sow. Double check everything. Most important, have fun...
I guess he forgot to double check his post, since he meant to type "Go Slow" instead of "Go Sow!"
Old 03-03-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post
I found the comment from one of the posts rather funny.....

I guess he forgot to double check his post, since he meant to type "Go Slow" instead of "Go Sow!"
That IS funny
Old 03-03-2020, 12:00 PM

OK, I'll take the ribbing! My fat fingers often go faster than my old, slow eyes. Lemme try this again Slow, Slow, Slow. I think I got it now...
Old 03-03-2020, 01:48 PM

Well I could see you needed pointers when you said you bought a Lee press. First off, dump the Lee and buy a quality press. Lee has a so called "2 year warranty" that they do not stand behind, everyone else offers a LIFE TIME warranty they DO stand behind. That alone should tell you what Lee puts out, and what everyone else puts out.

I love the Lee factory crimp die, recommend it highly, as well as pretty much all Lee dies. Sure other companies put out dies in various cartridges that are better than the Lee dies, 7.5x55 Swiss for example, buy RCBS. Costs more but worth it! Buy carbide straight cased pistol dies. With carbide pistol dies lube the first and third cases and then every fifth case after that. Makes life easier and the dies last longer. With all other dies, lube EVERY case!

As far as cast/swaged bullets, swaged bullets are softer, but that often is a good thing as they expand into the rifling and do not lead unless run much too hot. Bullets that are hard and undersized do not expand and will lead like the devil. Bought cast bullets from just about everyone, and if sized right, have worked fine in my guns. Can't say any one brand of cast/swage/plated is "better" than any other, but try several and see what works best for you.

Get all the reloading manuals from the library (interlibrary loan system) and read them before buying anything! I like Lee 2nd ed (ignore all the lies about how great all Lee stuff is, some is, some is worthless trash) and the "love it or return it" guarantee (a sick joke) or "2 year warranty" (also a sick joke). Lyman is great and worth every penny. If you shoot a brand of bullet, say Hornady, get the Hornady manual. If you shoot Speer, get the Speer manual, so on and so forth.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:04 AM

Hint for new reloaders; ignore Lee Haters. Your choice of the Lee Classic Turret press is a good choice. The Lee turret is one of the best presses available on the market. I used an old style Lee turret for over 15 years, trouble free, but I disabled the auto index and just hand indexed for everything from 380 ACP through 7.62x54r (when I was setting it up for the first time it would index when I didn't want it to, so I took out the auto-indexing parts). I preferred hand indexing because I batch load...