1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-11-2020, 12:17 PM

9mm load for a 1911?

Hi

Everyone I have a quick reloading question.

If you were the proud owner of a new DW Vbob dt 9mm

What handload would you put through it?
Old 02-11-2020, 02:42 PM

What is you intended purpose?
Duplicate factory
EDC
Target
General Range

Smiles,
Old 02-11-2020, 03:14 PM

My competition load, and a very nice shooting one for plinking/target:

Mixed range brass
147gr Bayou Coated Flat Nose bullets
2.9gr or 3.0gr Titegroup powder (gets you a PF of around 128 to 130)
COAL: 1.135"
Crimp: 0.378"

I shoot this load through my DW PM9s in Steel Challenge and USPSA.
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2020, 04:20 PM

TBH . . . the very same load developed by the very same process to meet whatever my purpose that I'd put through any other 9mm pistol.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:32 PM

Target shoot for this one!
Old 02-11-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fatman View Post
Although there are hundreds of good recipes and combinations out there, My DW P-MC loves the 124 gr. JHP RMR (multi purpose rounds) over Silhouette. Work up your charge but I'm running them right at 1100 fps with great accuracy and comfortable recoil. I use them for steel, paper and carry around the ranch. So far they solve all my 9mm needs in a single load.

I also recently tried the 135 gr. RMR matchwinners (since I was loading them in 38 Super already) and they are extremely accurate and again with Silhouette, they are pretty soft on recoil in my all my 9mm pistols.

Both can be bought in bulk for 8-9/ea. cents, delivered. (even less if you catch one of the 3-4 sales they have each year)

https://www.rmrbullets.com/product-c...istol/9mm-355/

And like any other handloading scenario, your gun my hate what mine loves... there aren't many real shortcuts in this game.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:20 PM

My go to for all my 9mm's is a 147gr. DG FP over 3.4gr of VV N-320 @ 1.148" I increased from 1.135" because the 1911's feed the longer length better. Clean, low smoke and flash compared to other powders including TG, and is nice and soft. Easily makes 135PF from a 5" barrel and about 127-129PF from our 4-4.25" 1911's. Wife and I use this in USPSA and IDPA.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:39 PM

Target: your gun may hate what mine loves...!! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flechero View Post
Although there are hundreds of good recipes and combinations out there, My DW P-MC loves the 124 gr. JHP RMR (multi purpose rounds) over Silhouette. Work up your charge but I'm running them right at 1100 fps with great accuracy and comfortable recoil. I use them for steel, paper and carry around the ranch. So far they solve all my 9mm needs in a single load.

I also recently tried the 135 gr. RMR matchwinners (since I was loading them in 38 Super already) and they are extremely accurate and again with Silhouette, they are pretty soft on recoil in my all my 9mm pistols.

Both can be bought in bulk for 8-9/ea. cents, delivered. (even less if you catch one of the 3-4 sales they have each year)

https://www.rmrbullets.com/product-c...istol/9mm-355/

And like any other handloading scenario, your gun my hate what mine loves... there aren't many real shortcuts in this game.
I load .357, 135 grain LRNFP plated in 9mm, 38 Spl and 38 Sup at target and Minor velocities with great results.

Smiles,
Old 02-16-2020, 12:43 AM

That’s the fun of reloading, so many more choices! There are lots of powders and bullets that work well and I’d bet your Dan Wesson is a great shooter.
Good luck 👍
Old 02-17-2020, 08:43 AM

Berry's 124 HBFP-TP or a Speer 124 TMJ over 4 grains of W231.
Very accurate bullets in my 9mm 1911.
Congrats on the DW.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:10 PM

Just out of curiosity, what components do you have on hand?
Old 02-17-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fatman View Post

I use 124 grain X-Treme bullets over 5 grains of CFE Pistol.
Nice accurate (5" Range Officer) easy shooting load.

A while back I posted a real nice chrono report, but it seems to have
been long enough back that it has fallen off the site.

This load ran 1069 fps for a PF of 132.
Old 03-01-2020, 04:41 PM

Congrats again on the nice pistol.

I have a couple DW 9mm's that I've been breaking in.

I'd like to work up a range load that handles similar and hits to same point of aim as the factory carry loads I'll run in them.

I'd guess the first step I need to make it is deciding on which carry load I"m going to run. Lots of compelling reports on the HST loads.

My range loads will be coated lead. I've got some Blue Bullets on hand and will be trying SNS & Bayou next. Various powders on hand to start out with: Sport Pistol, HS-6 and Titegroup.

Looking forward to seeing the further suggestions you get in this thread.

Great pistol you bought.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:35 AM

Target work? Competitive (precision) or plinking? If it’s precision pistol avoid coated or lead bullets for 9mm. The only bullets I’ve found that work at 50 yds are the Hornady XTP/HAP. Power Pistol is also a great powder.

To get really spectacular results from 9mm you need light bullets and a slow twist (1:32) barrel to send them, KKM is a good bet. Around 1100 FPS seems like the general sweet spot for 50 yard work.

Federal Gold Medal Match primers
New Starline brass
4.9 - 5.0 gr of VV N330 or 6.0 - 6.2 gr of Power Pistol (6.4 max)
1.085 - 1.090 OAL
Hornady 115 or 124 gr XTP or HAP bullet (note: Increased weight may be required with fast twist barrels)
Avoid excessive crimp

Distinguished Pistol #388

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02; 03-02-2020 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavelamb View Post
I use 124 grain X-Treme bullets over 5 grains of CFE Pistol.
Nice accurate (5" Range Officer) easy shooting load.

A while back I posted a real nice chrono report, but it seems to have
been long enough back that it has fallen off the site.

This load ran 1069 fps for a PF of 132.
============
I don't have a 1911 but I did do a project to make a cheap imitation of Speer Gold Dot 124 ammo. I ended up with Xtreme 124 Hollow pts and 5.4 gr CFE pistol. Load dimensions were same as factory ammo. Appearance, velocity, recoil and POI was very close to factory at a fraction of the cost.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:46 PM

I'd use the same loads I use in my other 3, 9mm pistols. My favorite and "Just in Case" load is Universal under a 125 gr. JHP, either a Nosler or an RMR, giving my about 1,000-1,100 fps depending on the gun...

I usually don't post my load data because of my Rule #1; I pay no attention to any load data I see on any forum or "pet loads" website, hear from any range rat, gun counter clerk, well intended friend, or gun shop guru. I get 98% of my data from published reloading manuals with the rest from powder manufacturere/distributors web sites. Normally I get starting loads and use my notes/logs for subsequent loads.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:31 PM

If its target shooting, the sky is the limit! There are only about a couple thousand combinations you can load....LOL...I have a DW Valor in 9mm and have used everything from 90 to 147gr projectiles, and one of my fav powders is Winchester 572.
Philippians 4:13
Old 03-02-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikld View Post
I'd use the same loads I use in my other 3, 9mm pistols. My favorite and "Just in Case" load is Universal under a 125 gr. JHP, either a Nosler or an RMR, giving my about 1,000-1,100 fps depending on the gun...

I usually don't post my load data because of my Rule #1; I pay no attention to any load data I see on any forum or "pet loads" website, hear from any range rat, gun counter clerk, well intended friend, or gun shop guru. I get 98% of my data from published reloading manuals with the rest from powder manufacturere/distributors web sites. Normally I get starting loads and use my notes/logs for subsequent loads.
I do the opposite with great success (using sources I trust or folks I know are competent). If you want to be competitive in Bullseye (precision pistol) you’ll probably have to depart the load book unless you're a sponsored or military shooter using factory ammunition. The load I listed above is based on the AMU load produced by Atlanta Arms for the Team that Dave Sams developed while he was there. His is the test target above. The factory is simply mass producing his load(s). Most factory ammo (Atlanta Arms Elite, Zero, and a few others being the exception) will not hold the 50 yard 1.77" X-Ring with 10 shots. Factory ammo is often a poor performer at 50 yards as price vice performance is the priority or its geared toward self-defense. Many of the great 9mm, 38 special and 45 ACP target loads are lighter than factory, which is great because it reduces recoil, flash, noise and barrel wear aside from the greater accuracy.

If you look at what precision pistol high master and record holding bullseye shooters are shooting, it will often not be in a load book and may require spring adjustment(s). Nothing wrong with either approach just what works for each purpose/person. I don't know what level/intensity or interest the OP has. If by target, that translates to "plinking" then I would concur, look up a solid factory load and probably use the same ammunition across a variety of pistols without worry.

Pet Loads of High Master Shooters...significant enough that we keep it in a sticky on the Bullseye Forum

Bullseye Forum - Pet Loads of High Master Shooters - Hyperlink

Chris & JJ are spot on. Components and purpose would help guide the discussion. I may and often am, probably completely misaligned.

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02; 03-03-2020 at 05:28 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkNavy02 View Post
Target work? Competitive (precision) or plinking? If it’s precision pistol avoid coated or lead bullets for 9mm. The only bullets I’ve found that work at 50 yds are the Hornady XTP/HAP. Power Pistol is also a great powder.

To get really spectacular results from 9mm you need light bullets and a slow twist (1:32) barrel to send them, KKM is a good bet. Around 1100 FPS seems like the general sweet spot for 50 yard work.

Federal Gold Medal Match primers
New Starline brass
4.9 - 5.0 gr of VV N330 or 6.0 - 6.2 gr of Power Pistol (6.4 max)
1.085 - 1.090 OAL
Hornady 115 or 124 gr XTP or HAP bullet (note: Increased weight may be required with fast twist barrels)
Avoid excessive crimp

That’s impressive, someday I’m going to have to try VV powders.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
If you want to be competitive in Bullseye (precision pistol) you’ll probably have to depart the load book
Are you saying one would have to go under and/or over published load data?
Old 03-08-2020, 11:08 AM

Mikld,

I believe JHN is saying that load data from an experienced source is helpful and that some of the most accurate loads are often not published for general use. Nothing more, but he can answer for himself.
Actual data is helpful, just do your own homework.

What good is the reloading area if we don't compare notes on our load data?
Should we just talk generally about our favorite powder we like? Provide a legal disclaimer and a factory starting point only?
I understand your reservations, but don't throw shade on those of us that may like to share data.

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 03-19-2020, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikld View Post
Are you saying one would have to go under and/or over published load data?
Under for 38 special and 45 ACP.

For 9mm itís in line with published load data.