Guns you own that are a surprise to you? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-09-2020, 08:13 AM

Guns you own that are a surprise to you?

And might be afraid to admit....

Here is my list:

- Rossi 22. This is the same rifle as the Mossberg. The gun is very light, very cheap, has great sights and shoots astonishingly accurate. Can get 25 round magazines for it too. You can find them new for $100....at least for now.

- Hi-Point PCC. Ugly, heavy....but bought new in 10mm for $219. Accuracy is stupid unreal. Unsupported with factory irons, will make one hole at 25 yards. And as a 10mm what’s not to like?

- RIA 1911 .22 TCM. OK...I used to be all high brow with 1911s, but no more. And I know some people make fun of Rock Island, but the gun is quality, shoots both the TCM rounds AND 9mm and all for under $500.

- Bersa....while I don’t currently own one, the Thunder is terrific and the BP9 when I bought it new for $200, owned it for 5 years and sold it used for $250 if a great gun even at $500

As to a brand that I once said I would NEVER own but probably will now....Taurus. Especially the TX 22

How about you guys?
Old 02-09-2020, 08:19 AM

Taurus G2c. 12+1 of 9mm. Great little EDC
Kel-tek PF9. Great little 9mm pocket gun
Old 02-09-2020, 08:25 AM

I have a not so little Phoenix .25 ACP pistol that turned out to be amazingly reliable, never missed firing and never misfed either. Accuracy was pretty good considering the sights on it.

I have a HiPoint .45 carbine that turns out to be very accurate, reliable and just plain works good all the time.

One of my favorites is a GSG 1911 .22LR pistol. I find it reliable, and it works well all of the time. Anyway it has a similar size and heft to a regular 1911, but much more cheap for shooting though. A lot of fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2020, 08:38 AM

I guess I'm missing out on something. Generally whatever I buy I'm neither expecting nor hoping that it'll be a surprise. That is anyway in the sense that I would buy something cheaper and expect more from it. I'm actually buying with the intent that it will be everything I hope it will be and often I spend more to ensure that is the case. Still don't and never did understand the philosophy of spending less with the hope of expecting great things. I'm always looking for hits and try my best to avoid misses.

Last edited by Dddrees; 02-09-2020 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dddrees View Post
I guess I'm missing out on something. Generally whatever I buy I'm neither expecting nor hoping that it'll be a surprise. That is anyway in the sense that I would buy something cheaper and expect more from it. I'm actually buying with the intent that it will be everything I hope it will be and often I spend more to ensure that is the case. Still don't and never did understand the philosophy of spending less with the hope of expecting great things.
You just described my dating life decades ago.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
You just described my dating life decades ago.
Generally speaking whatever and whenever I can avoid missteps or avoid risk I"ll always go for the route that guarantees the best results.

I've been extremely fortunate. Happily married for 37 years and counting.

Last edited by Dddrees; 02-09-2020 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall2011 View Post
Kel-tek PF9.
I agree- bought one many years ago just for a small, light, deep conceal option- assuming it would be unpleasant to shoot. After adding a northwoods trigger, mine shoots like a much larger gun... so much so that I bought a second one (and northwoods trigger for it) so I'd have one to shoot a lot and one to carry a lot, or a backup.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:57 AM

Bought an ATI 45 on sale for $389.
Hasn't choked yet, tight, good shooter; I'm pleased
Old 02-09-2020, 09:17 AM

Hmmm....Jennings J-22 a Bryco product found under the seat of a truck I had owned several years. Was trying to retrieve some ink pens from under the drivers seat and found this chrome plated thing... ugly...cheap and works fine!!

Steyr M1912 in 9mm Steyr….rather rough gun...well used and abused and bought cheap. First gun store I walked into after I bought it had two boxes of Fiocchi 9mm Steyr!!! I figured by the worn and pitted bore plus being worn and pitted in general it would be a problematic gun. Not so...runs like a new gun and pretty good accuracy too!

The infamous awkward and ugly Tec 9 'pistol...makes liberal gun-grabbers sweat! It was in my father in law's stash when he died. I had no expectation of anything from this huge 'pistol'. Ehh? works fine and reasonably accurate once you get it figured out.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:22 AM

I have a Tec 9 too, great shooter, eats anything, fun gun!
Old 02-09-2020, 09:26 AM

Biggest surprise on the upside are my 2 Walthers, 9 and 45 4" and 4.2 ". These shoot like 5" guns, have the accuracy of a fine 1911 at 25Y, and amazing triggers. Why was I surprised? Plastic at 450$ or so - never thought anything in this category would shoot so well. Minimal price, performance payback/$ unmatched in the gun industry.

On the downside? My two "2011s" STI and Infinity. Both amazing shooters (the Infinity which makes me feel like a Pro-Shooter because of the things I can do with it), but both rather temperamental. I will not be buying another from either (although I wanted a 1911-Infinity). Premium prices (esp. the Infinity which has a super-premium-price) but fall short of expectations.

Then there are my Wilson Combat's. Steady top-shooters, extremely reliable, top's in customer service. Premium price but worth every penny.

Upside in the revolver category, 586L comp, 3" 357M which shoots full power loads with aplomb. Miracle of a ported barrel :-). Ports don't always work so well, but on this gun it does.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 02-09-2020 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
Biggest surprise on the upside are my 2 Walthers, 9 and 45 4" and 4.2 ". These shoot like 5" guns, have the accuracy of a fine 1911 at 25Y, and amazing triggers. Why was I surprised? Plastic at 450$ or so - never thought anything in this category would shoot so well.

On the downside? My two "2011s" STI and Infinity. Both amazing shooters (the Infinity which makes me feel like a Pro-Shooter because of the things I can do with it), but both rather temperamental.
I'm surprised your surprised. Aren't these kind of known to be like this?
Old 02-09-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I'm surprised your surprised. Aren't these kind of known to be like this?
Well, 2 comments:

1) Many say so, but also their are many who are very happy with them.
2) There is nothing like first-hand experience to help reach one's own conclusions ;-).
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 02-09-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Well, 2 comments:

1) Many say so, but also their are many who are very happy with them.
2) There is nothing like first-hand experience to help reach one's own conclusions ;-).
I don't disagree with you on either count. I don't see it being mentioned a lot but still it's not a secret. In fact I wish more would say something but people don't always tend to mention the negatives.

I have to wonder if Atlas Gunworks does a better job at this.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I don't disagree with you on either count. I don't see it being mentioned a lot but still it's not a secret. In fact I wish more would say something but people don't always tend to mention the negatives.

I have to wonder if Atlas Gunworks does a better job at this.
Yea, it is important that both sides come out. I try to be fair about these sort of things listing both the positives and negatives, and hopefully it is obvious that it is only a sample of one on my part (but for me the most important sample :-)).
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 02-09-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Yea, it is important that both sides come out. I try to be fair about these sort of things listing both the positives and negatives, and hopefully it is obvious that it is only a sample of one on my part (but for me the most important sample :-)).
It's very possible that I heard it from you first in fact. I do get that people are happy with them as well, it's just I appreciate all of the facts before trying to make my decision so thank you for that.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:04 AM

It has never really been a 'surprise' to this old geezer that there are LOTS & LOTS of firearms out there that don't cost an arm and a leg and are perfectly functional for a lifetime.

Oh and since you didn't ask - lol - happily married for 30 years, now happily divorced for 19.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-09-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
It has never really been a 'surprise' to this old geezer that there are LOTS & LOTS of firearms out there that don't cost an arm and a leg and are perfectly functional for a lifetime.

Oh and since you didn't ask - lol - happily married for 30 years, now happily divorced for 19.
If I were looking for something that just functioned I could get nothing but High Points. From viewing a few You Tube videos they even function after you either shoot them or run over them. Heck even if they no longer function supposedly they are so cheap you can send it in and get a brand new one.

I have no interest in something just because it goes bang. There are other things than just the lowest common denominator of just functioning that I am more interested in. Cheaper is not the driving force or most attractive option for me.

Glad to hear your happy, just hoping I can remain married and still happy.

Last edited by Dddrees; 02-09-2020 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:13 AM

Norinco Tokarev 9mm. I didn’t expect much from it but it turned out to be a tack driver. How accurate? Let’s just say that it gives my HK P7PSP pistols a run for the money.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:17 AM

"often I spend more to ensure that is the case" ----------- ENSURE? No. You just increase your ODDS of of getting a good-working product. But it ENSURES nothing.

The most expensive guns still screw up sometimes and a look at their sub-forums and the makers offering/doing warranty work shows that.

Then throw in this wild card: If you get a truckload of 50 of the same model guns from the same maker there will likely to be variances in how they perform.

I spoke to a vet who mentioned that his outfit was issued brand new guns and after proper cleaning there were still a few turkeys in the batch.

Bottom line is that it's as we all know: Dumb Luck is a component in this. There are many factors but luck plays a significant role. Sometimes a cheapie works great & sometimes an awesome product fails.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
"often I spend more to ensure that is the case" ----------- ENSURE? No. You just increase your ODDS of of getting a good-working product. But it ENSURES nothing.

The most expensive guns still screw up sometimes and a look at their sub-forums and the makers offering/doing warranty work shows that.

Then throw in this wild card: If you get a truckload of 50 of the same model guns from the same maker there will likely to be variances in how they perform.

I spoke to a vet who mentioned that his outfit was issued brand new guns and after proper cleaning there were still a few turkeys in the batch.

Bottom line is that it's as we all know: Dumb Luck is a component in this. There are many factors but luck plays a significant role. Sometimes a cheapie works great & sometimes an awesome product fails.
^This

But you also generally get better design, better materials, better details, better finish, better trigger, better QC, better overall product, and sometimes better customer support such as Wilson Combat.

Last edited by Dddrees; 02-09-2020 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:50 AM

Yes, no doubt.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Norinco Tokarev 9mm. I didn’t expect much from it but it turned out to be a tack driver. How accurate? Let’s just say that it gives my HK P7PSP pistols a run for the money.
I own one of those!...the old Norinco 213 9mm....chrome bore...sort-of rough machining...the markings look like they were stamped by hand with two different size font letter stamps. Works fine and is pretty decent for accuracy.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:24 AM

Something that has served me in good stead since I first began acquiring guns in the early 1970s is to avoid inferior, second or third tier firearms. It's better to do without, to just not go there, no matter how tempting, unless one is supplying a critical immediate need on very limited funds. For most who regard firearms and their acquisition as a avocation over and above a real need it's too easy to just wait add good guns when funds permit. The money actually saved through avoiding sampling the bargain guns will be your own.

I grew up around guns in the family and extended family and they were all good serviceable ones. Even when I was young and broke I avoided acquiring "cheap-jon" guns that appeared such a bargain at the dealer. I just waited until I could save to acquire something better.

I've never bought second rate guns (well ... one KelTec P3AT that my brother-in-law talked me into to my chagrin) and have always enjoyed extensively using the good guns acquired even decades ago and with perfect satisfaction.

I like steel, forged steel. That's all. Other materials for firearms components including plastics (even if it's termed polymer), any non-ferrous alloys of any kind, MIM or cast steel, investment cast or otherwise... I just don't want to know. There are very few firearms here containing any of those materials and I make little use of the ones that do (ok, one Ruger 77V .220 Swift is esteemed for the purpose despite the investment cast receiver).

I'll retreat to my old fogy corner now.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I guess I'm missing out on something. Generally whatever I buy I'm neither expecting nor hoping that it'll be a surprise. That is anyway in the sense that I would buy something cheaper and expect more from it. I'm actually buying with the intent that it will be everything I hope it will be and often I spend more to ensure that is the case. Still don't and never did understand the philosophy of spending less with the hope of expecting great things. I'm always looking for hits and try my best to avoid misses.
I think the OP was referring to guns that you bought without expecting much, only to find they turned out to be really good guns. Of course another thread could easily be started about guns that you had high expectations for that didn't deliver on the goods. I could probably fill two pages of that kind of thread.

Anyway, on to the surprises:

1. Jennings J-22. Everybody told me it was a waste of $55. Funny enough, it has actually functioned better than many .22s I bought that were more than quadruple the price.

2. Rossi 971 .357 revolver. Another gun I bought because it was cheap ($250-ish), yet so far it has continued to run 100% and is more accurate than I am.

3. Sendra M15A1. A cheap M16A1 clone I bought used and which was actually missing some parts, but once I got it running it's proven to be my most accurate AR.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.