Negligent Discharge at Home - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-27-2019, 06:48 PM

Negligent Discharge at Home

So I have been carrying and shooting handguns for almost 40 years...never an ND...til tonight.

Had been at range with my S&W Model 10 nightstand gun. After 24 rounds of factory Winchester Silvertips. it got sluggish in rotating. Then the cylinder froze/ Could not even cock single action. Opened and emptied cylinder. Cleaned chambers. Fired 12 more rounds. The same frozen action. Rounds seated properly!

Went home. Put CA Bulldog .44spl with CT grip in nightstand while I clean and look at Smith.
Got busy. Never looked at Smith.
In bedroom. Saw the Bulldog in drawer and thought since that gun had had a similar problem before going back to factory, I would try a rotation check twice around. Ok, ok, ok, ok, ok ,ok ok
BAM! So...after doing rotation checks thousands of times with revolvers, my finger slipped off the hammer and my finger was off the trigger just too late.

Makes you anxious. Bullet (165 grain Hornady) went through width of two pillows (maybe 36" of stuffing) and through the sheetrock. Nervously went outside to look. Relieved to find it did not penetrate the outer wall of plywood and siding.

At least this fool had the muzzle pointed in a "safe direction."

Have read an ND will happen someday if you handle firearms enough. Because you get (I got) complacent. Worked the action too fast.

I do feel ashamed. I post this as a reminder to others.

Oh-it is really true that low pressure rounds have a smaller sound signature. It was loud but not painful to my ears. I guess the .44spl and .45 Colt are well suited to HD....
Old 11-27-2019, 07:27 PM

Thanks for sharing. Glad there was no injuries.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:35 PM

Been there, done that. You'll get some grief from the membership, but thanks for posting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2019, 07:44 PM

I've done some dumb things and it usually is a result of having a problem with the gun and I'm stressing out and not thinking clearly. Sounds like you did the same.

Recently, I had some perceived concern about something about the way the slide on one of my 1911s was cycling by hand, so to confirm my concern (and I don't even remember the concern, now) I figured I'd try another one, so I grabbed another one and started cycling the slide back and forth until I realized that 2 rounds had hit the floor. I completely forgot that the mag was loaded. Could have been bad.
Lesson learned.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:20 PM

Thank you for sharing. This is an important lesson for all of us.

I do hope the Condition 2, 1911 guys are paying attention, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy9 View Post
BAM! So...after doing rotation checks thousands of times with revolvers, my finger slipped off the hammer and my finger was off the trigger just too late.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:29 PM

Been there and done something similar.

Bet that it does not happen again!
Old 11-27-2019, 08:58 PM

Hey it's not as bad as my dad setting off a supersonic rifle round indoors, whole freaking house shook and I felt it three floors up. Went downstairs to him holding the AUG with a "oh no" look on his face and a picture frame and wall nuked by a A-max.

Told him a million times a AUG doesn't have the same manual of arms or mechanical an AR and that you should never cycle a gun for dry fire with a loaded mag partially in the magwell even if the AR lets it happen.....

Guns are actually quite quiet indoors for what they are, rifles I found are better than handguns weirdly enough in some cases
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 11-27-2019, 09:19 PM

My numbers yet to come up but I felt it when working a CZ 75, lowering a hammer on a live round. I just didnt like doing that so i ended up selling it instead. Glad it all worked out well and seriously thanks for sharing.
Captain, Sons of the American Revolution
Old 11-27-2019, 09:35 PM

Thanks for sharing, we all need reminders when dealing with firearms on a daily basis. Glad no one got hurt!
Old 11-27-2019, 09:54 PM

Thanks for reminding us to tripple check firearms to see if they are loaded before we do anything with them.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:36 PM
Administrator

A lot of gun owners tend to get into the habit of checking the chamber without actually CHECKING the chamber, if you know what I mean. It becomes a force of habit and you end up just going through the motions without actually using your Mark I eyeball to make sure it is indeed clear. Massad Ayoob has called it "the look that doesn't see". I know it doesn't apply in the OP's case because he was using a revolver, but I'm just throwing it out there anyway because it's a common occurrence.

Many years ago, in US occupied Japan my dad was hanging out in a Japanese cemetery late at night with some fellow USAAF buddies when they were supposed to be somewhere else. One of them was playing with his M1 Carbine when it suddenly went off, scaring the bejeezus out of everyone and making them run out of the cemetery before the MP's showed up. After awhile, when the coast was clear one of them thought maybe they needed to go back and see where that bullet might have gone, since there were some houses nearby. So back in they went, searching the cemetery with flashlights when one of them spotted a pockmark in one of the granite tombstones. It turns out it was the same one my dad had been leaning against moments earlier, and the bullet had missed his head by just inches.

Anyway Oldguy9, thanks for having the guts to share it with us and glad that the only casualties were two pillows, two pillow cases, a wall and a previously clean pair of undershorts.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:10 PM

Not a criticism, but I do have a question. Why didn't you unload before going through the motions? Is there a specific reason or did you just not think of it?

www.blackrivertraining.com
Old 11-27-2019, 11:11 PM

Thanks for sharing, glad no one was injured only embarrassed!

As an instructor I learn and practice the manual of arms for each of the variety of firearms I train to. It keeps me on my toes for sure. But I practice and train to announce "Unloaded firearm" as firearms are unloaded and empty chambers are verified. If someone else is in the vicinity they are asked to also check the chamber and announce "empty firearm". This doesn't guarantee a safe firearm because of the human element but it helps!

Because we tend to use the same firearms most frequently we fall into a routine. When our routine is changed or interrupted is when most accidents occur.

Smiles,

Last edited by jjfitch; 11-27-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:12 AM

I real happy to hear no one was harmed.

I'm extremely glad this has not yet happened to me.

I'm also thankful that people are willing to share these incidents with others here so it will serve as a reminder so it may never happen to some one else.

Last edited by Dddrees; 11-28-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:41 AM

Yes thanks for sharing. These are learning tools for all of us. I have never had a ND but am wise enough to know it can happen. Ahhh the human element.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
Been there, done that. You'll get some grief from the membership, but thanks for posting.
Not half as much grief as from one's spouse.

A few years ago, I had a Sig P938 that developed a case of hammer follow. It never had a ND, but it got me thinking about loading mags, releasing slides, and having a ND. I filled a 5 gallon plastic bucket with packed sand, put a target on the lid, and placed it in the garage beside the door to the house. Every time I chamber a round in a gun at home, the muzzle is pointed straight down at that target. No holes in the lid... yet.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:29 AM

A few months ago my son (step son but I don't like that term and only mentioning it because if he was my blood child I would have beat him senseless) was going out back to shoot his shotgun. Why he chambered a round in the house I don't know but while walking across the living room he tripped on the vacume cord and again don't know why he had his finger in the trigger guard but blew a 12ga slug into the floor.

Luckily the house is only a single story but after going thru the floor he hit a water line going to that end of the house. The plumber said it was a perfect shot. Nailed it dead center and in 40 years has never fixed a leak due to a gun shot.

He no longer has the shotgun.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:28 AM

Glad you’re ok and didn’t get hurt other than your pride. Always a good thing to remember the rules of handling a firearm and always check to make sure it’s unloaded before disassembly or function checking. Then check again.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:46 AM

Yep, had mine a few years ago while training with some friends, all Vets & LEOs.

After cycling through a drill I attempted to manually decock on a hot pipe. Uhuh, the hammer slipped through my grip, the gun went BANG and my buds went OHHH!

Because we always practiced range safety, the muzzle was down range and the only casualty was my pride. We made it a learning experience for the newer folks there so it so we made it a positive event.

I now carry a pistol with a decocker and when I run one without the weapon gets cleared first thing.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:59 AM

I guess that you really have to be extra careful.

When "cleaning" your gun.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ing/ar-BBXqiVd
Old 11-28-2019, 11:01 AM

Be thankful for NO injuries....when you do that...you will guaranteed NEVER do it again. It only takes that ONE time!
Philippians 4:13
Old 11-28-2019, 11:09 AM

Wife at a sanctioned IDPA match on an indoor low light stage. After "Unload and show clear" I hear BANG. She had a poor stage, I guess was a bit frazzled, and forgot to drop the partially loaded mag in her 1911 first. Neither her or the SO had noticed. Fortunately, she had it pointed downrange at the backstop. She had a shortened match.

Not really an ND, but similar, I remember once being all alone at the outdoor range sighting in one of my 5.56 "sporting rifles". It has a Lantac Dragon muzzle brake. I was under the steel roof and after making some adjustments to the optic,(which required a different pair of eyewear). I set it back up on the sandbags and touched one off. BLAM! Under that tin roof, with the Pro Ears Gold still sitting there on the bench where I had put them while adjusting the optic. The hearing in my left ear hasn't been the same since!
Old 11-28-2019, 11:37 AM

And do not forget to watch out for those hunters in Wisconsin.

They can be a menace.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...son/ar-BBXheiU
Old 11-28-2019, 11:44 AM

Thank you for sharing
Old 11-28-2019, 12:24 PM

Why When Loaded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastoff View Post
Not a criticism, but I do have a question. Why didn't you unload before going through the motions? Is there a specific reason or did you just not think of it?
Reasonable question. The fact a cylinder rotates freely when unloaded reveals nothing about what it will do when loaded with your defense rounds. Some possible problems when loaded:

1. One or more chambers has something in it that prevents full cartridge seating. It does not take much foreign matter to do this. Like a stray thread from a cotton patch.

2. One round has a high primer. (Can this happen with factory ammo? Yes. Have experienced this with a PMC round and a Winchester round.)

3. A round has a bullet that is seated out of spec. It might have just slipped through QC.

I am sure others here came name more possibilities.

Rotation checks are like condition 2 carry. Pregnant with negative possibilities.
Hence the 3 feet of pillow in front of the muzzle.

I just wish I had done this slowly. But I did not.