1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 11:55 PM

Looky

Found this photo on the interweb. Appears to be done by WC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WC23371F.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	423.3 KB
ID:	567416
Old 11-09-2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpaxton View Post
Found this photo on the interweb. Appears to be done by WC.

Attachment 567416
I think there is an option listed on the custom worksheet as an Xtac barrel
Old 11-09-2019, 02:06 AM

OOOOh!

Sorry. I've just become a bit damp. Somewhere. Let me work this out and I'll get back to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2019, 06:42 AM

Yes, George has that WC on his site. It’s an option now.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:34 AM

Whats the purpose????
Old 11-09-2019, 09:20 AM

Pimp My Xtac.......
Old 11-09-2019, 09:29 AM

As long as its in Chrome with fake pearl grips - LOL!
Old 11-09-2019, 11:12 AM

That option has been around for some time. One of those “buried” ones everyone breezes past on the build sheet. I saw that on George’s page a week or so ago and it was the first time I have seen one “in the wild”, though I imagine it’s not the first one ever built.

Like anything, different strokes for different folks.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytown1911 View Post
Like anything, different strokes for different folks.
So true, not my cup of tea.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 11-09-2019, 06:35 PM

Nothing I would be interested in but different strokes for different folks.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:04 PM

I had a spiral flute on a Nighthawk

Click image for larger version

Name:	7882745_DSC-3009.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	567498
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: ACW Brimstone, Les Baer Stinger, Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, NH T4, NH Counselor and a G43 -- 38 Super's: GI Government, WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, DW Guardian, WC Sentinel Compact....and oh 3 mid 70's Colt Commanders out for a builds; NH, KGB and Mr. Yost.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1834 View Post
Whats the purpose????
First, fluting or cutting like that cuts down on friction; less surface area to make contact. Less friction means better reliability. The grooves also give dirt a place to go instead or riding on the barrel.

That aside it has an aesthetic appeal to some.

But it is functional as well as aesthetic.

I always have my chambers and barrels fluted on my WCs. I do it for function and aesthetics.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:42 AM

Wilsonís had big time success with the X pattern theme. From the not so well received launch of the X-Tac to the X themed EDC9. The X has gained popularity and wide spread appeal. They now offer X pattern grips, MSHs, knives, slide top serrations and more.

The X barrel adds another customization option for those who wish to further accentuate the theme. I for one dig it, too bad itís only for 9mm barrels.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrish View Post
First, fluting or cutting like that cuts down on friction; less surface area to make contact. Less friction means better reliability. The grooves also give dirt a place to go instead or riding on the barrel.

I always have my chambers and barrels fluted on my WCs. I do it for function and aesthetics.

I understand everything youíre saying, but regarding better reliability.. there is no evidence that I have ever seen produced regarding the relationship between any type of pistol barrel fluting and reliability. Donít get me wrong, Iíve got guns with fluted barrels, but in no way do I believe they increase reliability in any way that is actually quantifiable.

I do like some types of barrel fluting, but only as an aesthetic touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erf7 View Post
I understand everything youíre saying, but regarding better reliability.. there is no evidence that I have ever seen produced regarding the relationship between any type of pistol barrel fluting and reliability. Donít get me wrong, Iíve got guns with fluted barrels, but in no way do I believe they increase reliability in any way that is actually quantifiable.

I do like some types of barrel fluting, but only as an aesthetic touch.

Agreed, but have to add one thing. If less contact/friction increases reliability then why do we go through all of the trouble of hard fitting barrels, including the barrel hood lockup, barrel bushing, and barrel lugs? Never have I heard it posited that less contact and friction increases reliability.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:

Sorry.....any claim of increased reliability is BS from the marketing department. The number of 1911's that have ever failed due to dirt between the barrel and bushing is the same number as politicians who have never lied.

That would be zero.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:41 PM

now, fluted barrels, in rifles, do have a purpose, to dissipate heat, weight and sometimes fix harmonics. On a handgun...mmmm Hell no. Just cosmetic.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:06 AM

I really like the X-Tac grip pattern, at first I didn't like it on the slide. That has grown on me . I really don't care for the Xtac barrel.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozz007 View Post
now, fluted barrels, in rifles, do have a purpose, to dissipate heat, weight and sometimes fix harmonics. On a handgun...mmmm Hell no. Just cosmetic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Sorry.....any claim of increased reliability is BS from the marketing department. The number of 1911's that have ever failed due to dirt between the barrel and bushing is the same number as politicians who have never lied. That would be zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erf7 View Post
I understand everything you’re saying, but regarding better reliability.. there is no evidence that I have ever seen produced regarding the relationship between any type of pistol barrel fluting and reliability. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got guns with fluted barrels, but in no way do I believe they increase reliability in any way that is actually quantifiable. I do like some types of barrel fluting, but only as an aesthetic touch.

I assure you on a fully fluted barrel or X-Tac patterned barrel, if the gun is run a long time without cleaning, the dirt will get pushed into those flutes/cuts and help it cycle longer without failing. Want to test it? Take two of the same Wilson's, BUT one has a fluted barrel and one has no flutes or cuts. Run both without cleaning until it starts jamming/not fully cycling. I guarantee you, the one with the flutes will run longer without cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starship Enterpris View Post
Agreed, but have to add one thing. If less contact/friction increases reliability then why do we go through all of the trouble of hard fitting barrels, including the barrel hood lockup, barrel bushing, and barrel lugs? Never have I heard it posited that less contact and friction increases reliability.
You want a hard fit in the right spots/places. That doesn't mean you want a hard fit everywhere.

I have 3 Wilson Carry Comp 9mm pistols. Two are X-Tacs Elites and one is a regular carry comp compact (will arrive this week). One of my X-Tac Carry Comps has the rails partially cut away and a lug-less barrel. This was done to reduce friction and resistance. The thinking is the less friction/resistence, the less likely it will have a failure. Think of it this way. If I run all 3 of my carry comps without cleaning them, at some point they will start having failures because the dirt and carbon fouling will choke up the system. I would imagine my Carry Comp with the lug-less barrel and cut away frame rails will go the longest before a failure if not cleaned.

My X-Tac Elite 9mm Carry Comp Frames. Note the rails are partially cut away on the top frame

My X-Tac Elite 9mm Carry Comp Barrels. Note the barrel on the bottom has no lugs.

Last edited by Harrish; 11-11-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I assure you on a fully fluted barrel or X-Tac patterned barrel, if the gun is run a long time without cleaning, the dirt will get pushed into those flutes/cuts and help it cycle longer without failing. Want to test it? Take two of the same Wilson's, BUT one has a fluted barrel and one has no flutes or cuts. Run both without cleaning until it starts jamming/not fully cycling. I guarantee you, the one with the flutes will run longer without cleaning.

You want a hard fit in the right spots/places. That doesn't mean you want a hard fit everywhere.

I have 3 Wilson Carry Comp 9mm pistols. Two are X-Tacs Elites and one is a regular carry comp compact (will arrive this week). One of my X-Tac Carry Comps has the rails partially cut away and a lug-less barrel. This was done to reduce friction and resistance. The thinking is the less friction/resistence, the less likely it will have a failure. Think of it this way. If I run all 3 of my carry comps without cleaning them, at some point they will start having failures because the dirt and carbon fouling will choke up the system. I would imagine my Carry Comp with the lug-less barrel and cut away frame rails will go the longest before a failure if not cleaned.....
I've got a Baer TRS that's fit tighter than anything Bill Wilson ever dreamed of building. It's sitting at around 8,500 rounds since it was last cleaned. It hasn't choked on a round a single time in those 8,500 shots.

I have a Colt with Accurails that Rob at Alchemy built for me. It's likely the tightest 1911 ever built as after 3000 rounds it still takes a pop on the nose to open. It has never been cleaned....nor has it ever choked.

There simply isn't enough dirt or carbon to ever get on a barrel in the area where the flutes are cut to ever stop a 1911.

Sorry. Your claim is unproven, nothing more than gun rag hyperbole and remains categorized as total BS.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:52 PM

Also, take a look on YouTube of the EDC9 reviews (not EDC X9) and you will see examples of those frame and rail cutaways or whatever they are not improving reliability a single bit. Not saying theyíre not a good idea and Wilson wasnít trying to innovate or do something to improve reliability, but these things are extremely non-quantifiable. Barrel flutes increasing reliability are snake oil. Damn good looking snake oil in many cases, though.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:11 AM

My CQB has about 10,000 rounds and I cleaned it at the 8,000 round count mark. Not because it was unreliable but because it was just so filthy. I just squirt some oil on it and keep shooting. No fluted barrel and dead nuts reliable.

Please don’t spread misinformation - there’s enough of that as is.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddi_Nugget View Post
My CQB has about 10,000 rounds and I cleaned it at the 8,000 round count mark. Not because it was unreliable but because it was just so filthy. I just squirt some oil on it and keep shooting. No fluted barrel and dead nuts reliable.

Please don’t spread misinformation - there’s enough of that as is.
I'm pretty comfortable promoting less friction = greater reliability. Pretty basic principle of Physics. The more you reduce surface on surface contact, the more reliability will be enhanced.

That does NOT mean, you don't want ANY surface to surface contact. You certainly do. If you fit a barrel on a 1911 perfectly, then cut vertical groves in the barrel, the barrel fit will still be exactly the same, but you have reduced the surface area and surface contact by 50%. The result is less friction between the barrel and slide/bushing. That reduction in friction can only help reliability.

Let's say you touch off a weak round, the friction created by the contact of the barrel to the slide/bushing may keep the slide from going far enough rearward to properly eject the empty. Had you reduced the friction/surface area by 50%, the slide is far more likely to go all the way back and eject the empty case.

You can make the exact same point using the Slide and partially cut away Frame Rails.

"Misinformation"? No, just basic science and 1911 gunsmithing.

Last edited by Harrish; 11-12-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty comfortable promoting less friction = greater reliability. Pretty basic principle of Physics. The more you reduce surface on surface contact, the more reliability will be enhanced.

That does NOT mean, you don't want ANY surface to surface contact. You certainly do. If you fit a barrel on a 1911 perfectly, then cut vertical groves in the barrel, the barrel fit will still be exactly the same, but you have reduced the surface area and surface contact by 50%. The result is less friction between the barrel and slide/bushing. That reduction in friction can only help reliability.

Let's say you touch off a weak round, the friction created by the contact of the barrel to the slide/bushing may keep the slide from going far enough rearward to properly eject the empty. Had you reduced the friction/surface area by 50%, the slide is far more likely to go all the way back and eject the empty case.

You can make the exact same point using the Slide and partially cut away Frame Rails.

"Misinformation"? No, just basic science and 1911 gunsmithing.
Show me a 1911 that ever had enough carbon and fouling buildup on the barrel in the area of the flute cuts, such that it caused the gun to stop running. I'll tell you it doesn't exist. Carbon fouling doesn't exist in that area of the gun. It simply doesn't. Your claim is utter nonsense. I won't argue less friction...that's physics. What I'll argue (and have been) is that your claim of increased reliability is rubbish. 1911's simply do not fail due to too much friction in that area of the assembly. They just don't.

You chosen an odd sword to die on.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
You chosen an odd sword to die on.
It was just a few months ago he was complaining about the same rail cuts.
Your just wasting your time responding to him.

Now, if your doing it for sport.... have at it!!!
Closed Thread