Needing help buying a 1911 in California - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-08-2019, 04:39 PM

I have shot 1911s when I was kid and now that I am the legal age to buy handgun, I not sure what 1911s are legal. I did some reasearching but its kinda confusing. It would be very be helpful to find out what 1911s are good and legal to buy in California. And yes I know California laws suck. Also I am not sure if this is the right section for this topic.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:52 PM

Les Baer makes about 9 or 10 Ca compliant models. Check out his website.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:00 PM

The roster of handguns allowed to be sold to commoners is at
https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/certified-handguns/search
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2019, 05:25 PM

Good place to start, Stop in a local gun shop and check out what they’re selling.
A quick google search says 10 rounds.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:50 PM

Welcome to our world of confusion, obfuscation and good ole gun hating liberals.

As some mentioned, do research on what is on roster that is new. Then research what you can and CANNOT buy used and how to do that process.

Join CalGuns forum and look around there. That is a great group of people and an incredible amount of good information. LEOs and very informed and active 2A folks in there. They are a bit rough at times...you have been warned.

Good luck OP...welcome to the gun world...and good job wanting a real gun and not one of those plastic thingies...
Old 11-08-2019, 05:59 PM

What the gunshops have (new & used) are legal. Visit a few over the weekend & you'll see plenty.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
What the gunshops have (new & used) are legal. Visit a few over the weekend & you'll see plenty.
Not all are legal for non LEO to buy. Most shops separate out the LEO section from the ďlegalĒ guns for us mortals to buy...
Old 11-08-2019, 09:24 PM

Tarmy --------- Yes, Of course. But since those are unavailable to him it doesn't matter. Obviously I meant the ones on offer to us common muggles.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:45 AM

If you are not a roster-exempt person, you pretty much have two options to acquire a 1911 pistol:

1) Purchase an on-roster 1911 from an FFL dealer - You can check the Attorney General's Firearms webpage for a listing of all on-roster handguns. I'll second the recommendation for the Les Baer California 1911's. I've been told, but don't know for certain, that his California 1911's differ from the others by using a titanium firing pin to pass the drop-testing requirement. Les' 1911 design differs slightly from the John Browning 1911 design, but I actually like Baer's design better.

2) You can buy an on-roster, or an off-roster, 1911 from a private party. You'll still need an FFL to process the transaction. Both parties have to personally appear before the FFL and both buyer and seller must be California residents.

Be careful not to ever fit a threaded barrel onto your 1911 in California (like for a compensator). Doing so creates a California defined "Assault Weapon" and is a felony to possess unless registered or permitted. Registration is only currently available to roster-exempt folks and I haven't seen any instances where permits have been issued.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:37 AM

Thank you so much for the replies and I am glad to join such a great community!
Old 11-09-2019, 09:49 AM

Like many have said above, check the CA roster on DOJ site.
I believe Dan Wesson also offers a 1911 that is still on roster until 01/01/2020

NRA Life-Benefactor
Old 11-09-2019, 10:11 AM

Earth, can't help with your question, BUT WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!
Old 11-09-2019, 03:06 PM

The only thing you are prohibited from owning are:

Threaded Barrel

10+ magazines.

Other than that you can have any 1911 you want.

It's a matter of semantics how you acquire them.

If you want it new from the dealer then you have to abide by the approved list. Anything else can be acquired PPT between two CA residents.

Kimber, Springfield, Les Baer, Wilson, Night Hawk,, and others all have approved list options.

Throw enough money at it and you can have anything you want in CA minus threaded barrel and 10+ mags.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
still on roster until 01/01/2020
don't be scared by the expire date. most nearly everything gets renewed.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
The only thing you are prohibited from owning are:

Threaded Barrel

10+ magazines.

Other than that you can have any 1911 you want.

It's a matter of semantics how you acquire them.

If you want it new from the dealer then you have to abide by the approved list. Anything else can be acquired PPT between two CA residents.

Kimber, Springfield, Les Baer, Wilson, Night Hawk,, and others all have approved list options.

Throw enough money at it and you can have anything you want in CA minus threaded barrel and 10+ mags.
Snoopy,

It's perfectly legal to own a treaded barrel in California.

It's also perfectly legal to mount the threaded barrel on a revolver, or on a semi-auto having a fixed magazine.

It's only when you mount it on a semi-auto having a detachable magazine that you become a felon.

Please refer to CPC 30515(a)(4).
Old 11-09-2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD427 View Post
Snoopy,

It's also perfectly legal to mount the threaded barrel on a revolver, or on a semi-auto having a fixed magazine.

It's only when you mount it on a semi-auto having a detachable magazine that you become a felon.

Yes, you can have a threaded barrel in your tool box, not attached to a fire arm.

Yes, a revolver can have one, which would be strange given the gasses escape out the cylinder.

I have a Compensator on a Glock 17, but was welded on by a smith. So the slide and now the barrel comp combo are all now one piece. The operating threads were never attached to a frame before the weld.

So generally for someone that is looking to buy a first 1911 a threaded barrel falls into the category of not worth the trouble.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:45 AM

Earth:
It is a bit of an arduous task sorting out what is available in California. Regarding 1911 type pistols, some manufacturers have California Compliant webpages. Following are three: Les Baer, Ed Brown and Wilson Combat.
http://www.lesbaer.com/Calif.html
https://www.edbrown.com/californiaseries/
https://www.wilsoncombat.com/california-models/
Following is Smith and Wesson's state compliant page but one has to click on the left hand box for the state of interest.
https://www.smith-wesson.com/state-compliance
As mentioned earlier, you can scroll through the California DOJ Handguns Certified for Sale Roster:
https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/certified-handguns/search
Or visit your local gun stores to see their offering.
Good Luck!!
Old 11-10-2019, 11:51 PM

Welcome to the forum.

As a California gun owner you should spend some time at the below link to familiarize yourself with how the list works. Because this probably isn't going to be the last time that you have a question about what guns are legal and/or if a specific gun is on the roster or not. It's pretty straight forward.

If you go down to the "MFG" box you can filter for your brand of preference. Pick "Dan Wesson," for example and you'll get the Dan Wesson guns that are legal. When the models come up you can then do a google search off of name/model number to see what they look like.

https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/cert...andguns/search
Old 11-11-2019, 05:23 AM

When i look at this list, some of my pistols which have all been legally acquired in NJ and not more than 10 rounds aren’t on the list. Does that mean if I was to move to Ca, i cannot keep them?
Old 11-11-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD427 View Post
Snoopy,

Good Lord. That's the dumbest gun law I've heard yet.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:11 AM

So you can put a threaded barrel on your Steyer 1912 pistol because it feeds from the top.

I'm sure that Steyer makes a lot of carry options of that handy little gun
Old 11-11-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesaun View Post
Good Lord. That's the dumbest gun law I've heard yet.
Naw, it's not the dumbest. My nomination would be CPC 25120(a). California has a "Safe Storage" law. But if you leave your loaded shotgun lying around in your living room, and your four-year finds it and blows his head off, the police have to wait seven days before arresting you.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
When i look at this list, some of my pistols which have all been legally acquired in NJ and not more than 10 rounds arenít on the list. Does that mean if I was to move to Ca, i cannot keep them?

El Correcto! Whole new set of communist laws there.....
You canít have anything with the Betsy Ross flag and they search you to buy 22 ammo.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
When i look at this list, some of my pistols which have all been legally acquired in NJ and not more than 10 rounds arenít on the list. Does that mean if I was to move to Ca, i cannot keep them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post

El Correcto! Whole new set of communist laws there.....
You canít have anything with the Betsy Ross flag and they search you to buy 22 ammo.
Actually. No es correcto.

If you move to California as a new resident, you can bring in all of the off-roster handguns that you want, just so long as they are in a California legal configuration.

On "off-roster" handgun is not illegal. It's just that an FFL dealer cannot sell you one.

If you are a new, non-military, resident all that you have to do is fill out the "New Resident" report and pay $19.00 to register all of the weapons. If you're here on PCS military orders, you don't gotta do anything until you separate in the state.

OTOH is you're a returning California resident, and you bring in a handgun that you acquired out of the state, then you're a felon. You're only a misdemeanant if the weapon is a other than a handgun.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:25 PM

This is not a tough issue. If you can buy it from an FFL, it's legal. If you buy it from an individual & transfer it through an FFL it's legal.

You'd have to try really hard to screw that up. Just go 1911 shopping & quit worrying.

Stressing out is a East Coast thing. Here in CA we chill. Go shopping & buy whatever 1911 you like, from one of hundreds of shops. Then get some awesome carne asada for five bucks, sit on your car hood and watch the sun set over the waves.

Or speedwalk, to avoid being trampled, all over Manhattan trying to find a gunshop (there aren't any) then have a $15 tourist burger and watch the sun set over a New Jersey impound yard.