9mm 1911 possibility - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-31-2019, 07:43 AM

I’m considering ordering a new 9mm, can’t decide between full size or commander 4.25. Any guys that own both have any input as far as recoil impulse? Some 9mm 1911s particular the full size seem to have an odd impulse like the slide it moving slower than normal, in my experience anyway. Gun will primarily be for concealment, maybe occasional exterior duty use. Any input is appreciated.

Last edited by 1054FPS; 10-31-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:21 AM

I own full size and 4" in 9mm, no 4.25 commander built by WC.

I run the flat wire recoil springs and WC Lite oil on the full size 9mm Wilson's. I do not notice it being slow or sluggish. If it is going to be a range gun, then the full size would be my choice. Really a blast to shoot at range.

I really think the secret to the 9mm full size, is using the lite oil, one day I was to lazy to walk and get the right oil, I used the WC Universal on a full size 9mm, it was sluggish, and would not lock back. Wiped off and used the Lite oil and back to running like a scolded dog.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1054FPS View Post
I’m considering ordering a new 9mm, can’t decide between full size or commander 4.25. Any guys that own both have any input as far as recoil impulse? Some 9mm 1911s particular the full size seem to have an odd impulse like the slide it moving slower than normal, in my experience anyway. Gun will primarily be for concealment, maybe occasional exterior duty use. Any input is appreciated.
I have a WC 9mm in Professional size (4-inch barrel) EDC X9 (4-inch barrel) and Full Size Supergrade (5-inch barrel). I also have a Nighthawk Custom in 9mm Commander (4.25-inch barrel).

I prefer the standard round wire recoil springs, not the flat wire recoil springs as I can tell the difference when shooting. This may seem strange to some, but I can actually hear and feel the differnece in how the gun cycles with flat wire recoil spring. The standard round wire recoil spring is smoother cycling.

As far as felt recoil impulse, the 9mm is easily manageable, It's much weaker than 45 acp.

Regarding the difference in Commander and Full-Size recoil impulse, the Full-Size has noticable lighter recoil by a little bit. The Full-Size slide has more weight to move rearward, and possibly has a longer cycle (as you mentioned). My Full-Size Supergrade 9mm feels like I'm shooting a .22 caliber.

Since you mention using the gun primarily for concealment, I'd go with the Commander.

I have never carried the Full-Size concealed, It just appears to big to conceal and may be uncomfortable. I conceal carry my Professional size 99% of the time and Commander 1% of the time.

Last edited by tjpaxton; 10-31-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2019, 11:13 AM

I have a full size steel 9mm and a Commander size Lightweight 9mm. The full size gun runs in slow motion sort of. Heavier slide I guess. I like both. For carry it would be the lightweight Commander every time, even in .45 cal. Note, the Lightweight 9mm Commander recoil is a whole lot less than a G19, seems like half to me.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:52 PM

I had a full size Classic 9mm. I have a Professional 9mm and a Commander 9mm. To me, the Classic didn't balance well as I found it heavy on the muzzle end. No problem with the Pro or Commander. I also noted after break in with the Classic and I changed to the heavier recoil spring, the slide slowed down. Functioned fine but, just felt like it was running slower. Switched back to the lighter recoil spring and all was well. I found (actually Wilson's directions) clean and lube 9mm pistols every three hundred rounds and they run fine. Just my experience.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:15 AM

I have a 5 inch CQB in 9mm. If I had to do over again, I'd go with a 4/4.25. I'm thinking with the 9mm cartridge a little less slide mass would be a good thing. I'm also just preferring 4" guns these days. Seem to work a little better with my aging eyes.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:23 AM

My 5 inch 9mm SG is the softest shooter i own and a pleasure to shoot. It does ‘feel’ like it cycles slower, but who knows if thats actually true. I have found that FS 9mm require more frequent cleaning/lubing vs 45s. I have a GI commander 9mm inbound as we speak so i dont have any comparison to offer yet. If concealed carry is a primary purpose I’d imagine a commander size would be better. You might want to consider looking at GI. My son carries his NN CCO in 9 mm off duty and loves it. It conceals great and is crazy accurate.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:08 AM

With a full-size if you run a normal spring it cycles super slow and weird, a flat wire solves all of that though and make the gun feel more responsive but has slightly higher muzzle rise.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 11-01-2019, 04:08 PM

I have a full-size CQB in 9mm and ULCC Commander in 9mm. I shot both today and the CQB did seem a little sluggish and failed to lock back twice in 50 rounds. It was about 32º outside and I had standard WC oil in it. The recoil on the CQB is sweet though! Very soft shooting and I tend to simply hit what I'm aiming at.

But, I recently added a shock-buff to each pistol. Maybe this is why the CQB didn't lock back a couple of times?

The ULCC is much more snappy and I'm not as accurate with it. I have not noticed any "sluggish" behavior when running it. Of course, it's much, much lighter and easier to conceal.

Both guns were purchased second-hand and I haven't upgraded or replaced any springs yet, so I'm not sure what I'm running there. But, when the time comes for my next Wilson it will probably be an all-steel Commander size.

I'm no expert, but I think the sweet spot for carry combined with shoot-ability is 4.25 bushing/barrel, full-size grip, and all steel for the weight. Just my opinion.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobconroy75 View Post
I have a full-size CQB in 9mm and ULCC Commander in 9mm. I shot both today and the CQB did seem a little sluggish and failed to lock back twice in 50 rounds. It was about 32º outside and I had standard WC oil in it. The recoil on the CQB is sweet though! Very soft shooting and I tend to simply hit what I'm aiming at.

But, I recently added a shock-buff to each pistol. Maybe this is why the CQB didn't lock back a couple of times?

The ULCC is much more snappy and I'm not as accurate with it. I have not noticed any "sluggish" behavior when running it. Of course, it's much, much lighter and easier to conceal.

Both guns were purchased second-hand and I haven't upgraded or replaced any springs yet, so I'm not sure what I'm running there. But, when the time comes for my next Wilson it will probably be an all-steel Commander size.

I'm no expert, but I think the sweet spot for carry combined with shoot-ability is 4.25 bushing/barrel, full-size grip, and all steel for the weight. Just my opinion.
For that weather go to the Lite oil, especially on a full size, and take the Shok Buf out of the full size 9mm as it is not needed.

I have an all steel commander in 9mm, and I'm running Lite oil in it in this recent 30 - 50 degree weather; runs great. As far as carry, that is personal choice based on many criteria, but mine is still .45 ACP in the Professional configuration.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 11-01-2019, 07:42 PM

I use standard 14# pound springs in my CQB 9mm and primarily shoot 124 or 147g Federal. It’s insanely smooth and soft. Zero issues in cold weather and I run Lite Oil as well. It’s got about 8k rounds down the pipe and is very well worn in, and even rattles a tiny bit. Does not feel slow at all. It’s the softest gun I own and I am also the fastest with it.

I have a 4.25 custom Colt in 9mm, and I think it balances perfectly. I run a 12# spring in it. It’s still a soft shooter but does recoil more than a government size. I would say probably the same recoil force as a P226, but much less muzzle flip since it has a different bore axis.

I’m willing to bet the 4” Professional or TE Professional is the best size for a 9mm. Lots of barrel mass and much less slide mass for great balance and a shorter recoil impulse. We’re splitting hairs here though with the Commander size.

I do think all 5” models are a little nose heavy, even the .45 ACP models. I balance it out a bit with VZ Palm Swell grips which add more mass to the back. I also run really thick G10s that are custom made from SGM. Helps the balance and fill my hands.

Don’t worry, you’ll end up buying both sizes in 9mm 🙂. There’s no “better” here, just what you’re looking for.

I think my next 1911 will be a Flanged Barrel Professional with a rail in 9mm. Heavy, but the weight is close to your hands so you can still transition quickly.

Last edited by Puddi_Nugget; 11-01-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddi_Nugget View Post
I use standard 14# pound springs in my CQB 9mm and primarily shoot 124 or 147g Federal. It’s insanely smooth and soft. Zero issues in cold weather and I run Lite Oil as well. It’s got about 8k rounds down the pipe and is very well worn in, and even rattles a tiny bit. Does not feel slow at all. It’s the softest gun I own and I am also the fastest with it.

I have a 4.25 custom Colt in 9mm, and I think it balances perfectly. I run a 12# spring in it. It’s still a soft shooter but does recoil more than a government size. I would say probably the same recoil force as a P226, but much less muzzle flip since it has a different bore axis.

I’m willing to bet the 4” Professional or TE Professional is the best size for a 9mm. Lots of barrel mass and much less slide mass for great balance and a shorter recoil impulse. We’re splitting hairs here though with the Commander size.

I do think all 5” models are a little nose heavy, even the .45 ACP models. I balance it out a bit with VZ Palm Swell grips which add more mass to the back. I also run really thick G10s that are custom made from SGM. Helps the balance and fill my hands.

Don’t worry, you’ll end up buying both sizes in 9mm 🙂. There’s no “better” here, just what you’re looking for.

I think my next 1911 will be a Flanged Barrel Professional with a rail in 9mm. Heavy, but the weight is close to your hands so you can still transition quickly.

You’re right, I’m looking right now to order either a 9mm commander or 4” AND a 5” 9mm. Most likely the 4” since I’d like a spare compensated barrel with it and not sure if Wilson can do that with anything other than a 4”. Most likely both will be blued and both will get rmr’s for sure.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:23 AM

I would go Professional or EDCX9 but YMMV.

I’d be interested in trying the Carry Comp barrel and Flanged Barrel so the Professional model leaves those options open. It’s also hard to dispute the reliability and weight savings of the EDC X9.

I doubt either the Flange or Comp will rival a Government size 9mm though.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:

I’d be interested in trying the Carry Comp barrel and Flanged Barrel so the Professional model leaves those options open. It’s also hard to dispute the reliability and weight savings of the EDC X9.

My department won’t test the Edc X9 or x9L, they accidentally said Wilson double stacks were authorized so I ended up having to sell the edc x9L which was easily my favorite gun. I’m for sure going with professional to get a comp extra barrel though. Still not sure if I need a full size 9mm Wilson since I have a full size 45 Wilson already.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:

It doesn't, it destroys it. No contest at all. My .45 carry comp is faster than my full-size 9mm since it doesn't leave the target, tested it MANY times on the clock since I didn't believe it myself.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 11-02-2019, 07:03 PM

I bought a professional with magwell (4" gun) and thought first day, yep, that sucker too damn heavy. But it is a dream to shoot.

Ended up buying another Wilson in the Bill Wilson Carry Special (or whatever it called), 4" with aluminum officer frame. That one does get carried. For me, the weight really makes a difference.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Quote:

It doesn't, it destroys it. No contest at all. My .45 carry comp is faster than my full-size 9mm since it doesn't leave the target, tested it MANY times on the clock since I didn't believe it myself.
What are your split times with a 9mm government and a .45 Carry Comp?

Are you reloading?

If not, what bullets are you using? Most commercial .45 won’t generate the gasses required for that single port compensator to do what its intended to do.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:17 AM

Quote:

Are you reloading?

If not, what bullets are you using? Most commercial .45 won’t generate the gasses required for that single port compensator to do what its intended to do.
I shoot mostly HST 230 (regular) and a little PMC 230...Through the comped guns they are noticeably softer to the body, and the sights settle faster, vs non comped guns (all WC)...At least a 20-25% increase in speed as a conservative estimate. Qualitatively, what it accomplishes is to allow one to shoot 45 duty ammo approximately equal to just under major power factor 38 super or the 9mm PFs near the 9mm PF top end.

I do find that my STI CC is softer and faster than my WC CC, likely because it has a noticeably bigger comp chamber (vs the WC) and the poly-grip.

The theory about gasses is a popular one, but I haven't seen much evidence it is a consistent theory vs hearsay. Some people who shoot 9mm with comps say they can't tell any difference vs 9mm out of there non-comped guns - so who really knows...The shooter, the gun, the specific comp size and type, the ammo, the type of gun powder (I am told but have no clue about reloading), likely all have an impact on the result...Maybe a re-loader here can volunteer to do a controlled experiment (not that easy) to find the "real" key determinants to a soft'n-fast blaster ;-)... But for now, I'd say, the best/easiest way is just to go out shoot your loads with a timer and find out what the reality is for you, your own guns, and with the ammo one uses.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 11-04-2019 at 04:45 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Are you reloading?

Federal 230, vs 115 blazer and 124+P vs 230+P HST, the .45 is .11-18 the 9mm is .15-.21 and the comp absolutely works. I have two otherwise identical guns and the comped one simply doesn't leave the target or beat the hell out of my wrist.

Timer doesn't lie, I can do a I'll concealed cold FAST in 4.8 average with my comped and 5.8 non comped or about 5.5 with a non comped 9. Similar results in all other drills
Old 11-04-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Are you reloading?

Federal 230, vs 115 blazer and 124+P vs 230+P HST, the .45 is .11-18 the 9mm is .15-.21 and the comp absolutely works. I have two otherwise identical guns and the comped one simply doesn't leave the target or beat the hell out of my wrist.

Timer doesn't lie, I can do a I'll concealed cold FAST in 4.8 average with my comped and 5.8 non comped or about 5.5 with a non comped 9. Similar results in all other drills
Impressive times. Although I digress, a 9mm Government is probably softer than a Carry Comp .45. If I wasn’t on a mission to be 100% debt free I’d buy a Carry Comp today.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:34 PM

Placed an order today for an XTac elite commander w/ rail with the following-
Baron blue with polished flats
Thick flange bushing (AT black)
AT black barrel
Flat trigger
Rmr 6.5 moa red dot
Vickers front and rear slide serrations
Naked slide
Ambi safety
Vickers high ride grip safety
Ryan Wilson High grip mod
Plus some other small stuff

The full size 9mm will waits few months for now.

Last edited by 1054FPS; 11-04-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:04 PM

That will be a great gun!

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 11-04-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apipeguy View Post
That will be a great gun!
Definitely a unique gun for everyday carry, this is my fourth Wilson so I’m just going to get what I want. AT is great but I want a blued gun finally.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Definitely a unique gun for everyday carry, this is my fourth Wilson so I’m just going to get what I want. AT is great but I want a blued gun finally.
You won't be sorry, the Baron blue is really something very special, as you will find out once you get it. Lots of guys get one and can't bring themselves to shoot it because it is so rich and beautiful, but mine got shot the day I received it, and has 8k+ rounds on it - it's still as beautiful as the day I got it (at least to me). Congrats on a great set of specs!

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 11-04-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
Quote:
You won't be sorry, the Baron blue is really something very special, as you will find out once you get it. Lots of guys get one and can't bring themselves to shoot it because it is so rich and beautiful, but mine got shot the day I received it, and has 8k+ rounds on it - it's still as beautiful as the day I got it (at least to me). Congrats on a great set of specs!
Looking forward to it, I don’t have any guns I don’t shoot. This will be shot a lot, I’m curious how it will hold up to hard use and daily carry.