1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 03:10 PM

Dan Wesson is not the DW of old!

I recently purchased two Valors. One in 45, and one in 10mm. DW claims the parts to be hand fitted. That may be so, but the parts are not polished and in some cases the sear does not make the right contact with the connector. Both sears were rounded on mine. Do the guys at DW not even have a sear jig?
The ejector on my 10mm was an old style 45 ejector. So the brass hits the side of the slide and the ejector leaves a heck of a crease on the bottom of the brass. What is up DW?

I was going to purchase a Bruin or Kodiak. But now I see that I would have to purchase one and send it out for retro-fit.

I have numerous Dan Wessons and when I got the Valors I thought that they would be up to the high standards of the past. 2002-2008. I was wrong. I have tried to call DW, but the phone is always busy, or they are closed. I live on the west coast.

Sorry guys and gals, just venting. Now I have to correct the problems.

COTEP-is a way to express yourself.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:14 PM

Welcome to the disgruntled DW owners club!! My new Kodiak is a POS and I have called multiple times every day this week. No answer and no returned calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2019, 03:15 PM

You could send them back to DW for repair. I bought a Valkyrie Commander last year, it's near perfect, all I did was replace the sear spring to get the trigger pull down a tad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2019, 03:20 PM

I forgot to mention that the slide release on the 10mm did not make full engagement with the slide. Only about 50 %. This would cause an early failure. The triggers on both measured about 4.5 pounds.

Old 10-10-2019, 03:25 PM

My membership began when I bought my 1st DW 9mm valor Commander. Wouldn’t run so I took it back. I then bought a Valor Commander in 45. More problems with reliability sent it back 2 times came back still unreliable. Had to dump it also. Never again.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
DW claims the parts to be hand fitted.
That would be the assembler using his hand to pick parts out of a box and assemble the gun.
Although they no longer use MIM and cast parts, I doubt there is much if any “hand fitting” done at the sub $1500 price level.
I know there was no sign of it on my PM9 which, as good looking as a gun it was, it was not very accurate.

Jim

Last edited by laytonj1; 10-10-2019 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 10-10-2019, 04:51 PM

I also purchased a new Valor 9mm recently because it was supposed to be their top of the line and was discontinued. Two trips to the range and accuracy was horrible, sent in a service request and response was "our pistols are mechanically capable of much better accuracy than that". Another request and they sent me an RMA, returned the gun and it came back in 3 weeks with a work order that said "polished firing order, tuned extractor, replaced front sight, test fired, within specs". Back to the range, accuracy still terrible, multiple failures to extract and now shoots low. Subsequent emails and voicemails were ignored, impossible to get anyone on the phone. Finally got an email saying that while my gun was there, they fired four five-shot groups that could all be covered with a quarter, yeah right! Long email to Keith recounting my experience, no reply. Had front sight and barrel bushing replaced at my expense, gun now runs good but still not very accurate. My other 1911s will all shoot groups half the size of the Valor. My first and last DW, too many companies out there that do competent work and actually care about their customers.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:53 PM

Just because you go back to the early 2000s does not mean all was good. I have a Patriot Marksman in stainless and you could not ask for a better Gov't size pistol. My next was a CBOB from '02 or so. Started with extraction problems 3 trips back and still problems...I would get a couple of thousand good rounds between trips and then it would fail to extract and double feed multiple times per magazine whether it was a new Wilson 47, Chip Shooting Star, Chip Power Mag, Metalform, Colt, Military surplus. On the fourth trip back they finally replaced the external extractor slide with an internal extractor slide to the tune of $400+ out of my pocket plus shipping. The only reason they replaced the slide was they had no more external extractors....but I had to pay for their problem and lack of parts support. The lesson learned is that you should never get so attached to a pistol that you can't let it go even though it was a 4x lemon.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:45 PM

I have only been back on the forum for a few weeks after a few years away. I noticed that some of the ole guys are gone. Dave Severns, Old Sarge just to mention a couple. I guess they got tired of Dan Wesson as well. Like I said earlier a Bruin or Kodiak were on my bucket list. The bucket just got emptied, I sure would not waste my money on either one. Oh for the days when Bob Serva ran Dan Wesson.

I just ordered a new extractor and ejector for my stainless 10mm. The kind that should have been on a stainless gun to begin with. I am lucky a friend of mine is a Master Gunsmith who used to work at Detonics and knows what to look for on a 1911. There will be no trips to the mother ship for my guns.

Last edited by Fishjager; 10-10-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:11 PM

So, what problems are you having with your Valors?
Old 10-10-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjager View Post
I have only been back on the forum for a few weeks after a few years away. I noticed that some of the ole guys are gone. Dave Severns, Old Sarge just to mention a couple. I guess they got tired of Dan Wesson as well. Like I said earlier a Bruin or Kodiak were on my bucket list. The bucket just got emptied, I sure would not waste my money on either one. Oh for the days when Bob Serva ran Dan Wesson.
Iím pretty sure Bob Serva owns and runs fusion firearms now. Iím sorry your DWís arenít working out for you. Itís a frustrating thing to deal with Iím sure if you contact Keith at DW heíll take care of your issues. Beat of luck to you.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:05 PM

I guess that I am just ranting and raving after paying big money for a gun/guns that are suppose to be top shelf. Then to discover problems with the mentioned items. When you pay over $1500 or close to it for a firearm you expect better quality. More attention should be paid to quality control, and polishing and fitting of parts. In general, a person buying a top shelf firearm should not have to send it back to the maker for correction. Valors demand big bucks and are suppose to be top notch. I would hate to see the economical model. Like I said earlier I will not be in the market for a Bruin or Kodiak.
Sending is back, is something I should not even have to consider. DW needs better quality control, and customer service. I am not alone considering some of the other comments to this thread. Hopefully someone will turn the light on for DW. In the mean time I will take my Valors to my buddy and have him correct the problems. Less hassle.

Some of you are probably saying why don't you just go some where else. I posted this post hoping that someone who reads it may do their research before making a purchase. I also hope that Keith at DW will take a serious look at what is happening at the work place where he hangs his hat. Reputation is everything in this market. Enough said.

Last edited by Fishjager; 10-10-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:22 PM

I have probably owned a dozen post 2013 Dan Wessons...Valors, Vigils, a VBOB, a Valkyrie, a PM-45. Some have had fleas, but no more than any other brand of 1911 I've owned. I've owned Colt, Dan Wesson, Ed Brown, Kimber, Springfield, and Wilson. I had to send a Wilson back and they built me a whole new gun because they couldn't make the one I bought right. I have a Duty Finish Valor right now that I sent to Wilson for work and it came back with the finish damaged. The whole gun will have to be refinished. Colts are some of the worst I've owned.

The Dan Wesson triggers are some of the best I've seen and all of my guns have been accurate.

Again, what problems are you having with your Valors?

Last edited by Bradd D; 10-10-2019 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:55 AM

I have a 2016 VBOB that has a place with my never-sell brace of 1911s. I’ve had several Colts, a CZ, a Les Baer, and even a Wilson not make that list. It’s just plain outstanding. I haven’t handled another DW made after, so your experience could be different to be sure.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradd D View Post
I have probably owned a dozen post 2013 Dan Wessons...Valors, Vigils, a VBOB, a Valkyrie, a PM-45. Some have had fleas, but no more than any other brand of 1911 I've owned. I've owned Colt, Dan Wesson, Ed Brown, Kimber, Springfield, and Wilson. I had to send a Wilson back and they built me a whole new gun because they couldn't make the one I bought right. I have a Duty Finish Valor right now that I sent to Wilson for work and it came back with the finish damaged. The whole gun will have to be refinished. Colts are some of the worst I've owned.

The Dan Wesson triggers are some of the best I've seen and all of my guns have been accurate.

Again, what problems are you having with your Valors?
Brad, read the very first statement I made, at the beginning of the thread.
45 ejector in a 10mm? Brass hitting slide as a result, damaging brass?
Sears? Slide release engagement? You ask what is the problem?

Old 10-11-2019, 07:19 AM

My favorite 1911 range guns are my Kimber Gold Match and my DW PM9. The Kimber has a very slight edge over the DW although it is a 45ACP and the DW is a 9 which makes a little difference. I think the 9 should have an edge over the 45. The PM9 is a nice gun but I can't see where it is any better than the Kimber really. The PM9 is a little more money but it has a few more bells and whistles also. I suppose the PM9 is worth the asking price but it isn't a great steal .
Old 10-11-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I recently purchased two Valors. One in 45, and one in 10mm. DW claims the parts to be hand fitted
Sorry you are not satisfied with your DWs. Unfortunately, the real problem here is your expectations. They are completely unrealistic. Dan Wesson makes PRODUCTION 1911s, they do not make SEMI-CUSTOM or CUSTOM 1911s. For semi-custom, where parts are fitted, you will need to pony up about $2K to $3K more for each pistol and buy a Wilson Combat or Ed Brown. For custom, where parts are meticulously hand fitted and then some, you will need to come with a minimum of $7K more for each pistol and buy a Business End Customs, Stan Chen and so on.

Dan Wesson are simply the BEST Production 1911s in the world. They fall into the same class as Colt, Springfield, and Kimber and BLOW THEM AWAY. That is why they are priced a couple to a few hundred more dollars than comparable models from Colt, Kimber and Springfield that are chock full of MIM parts. (Colt only uses 4 MIM parts, but that's 400% more than DW).

I have almost as many Wilson's as I do DWs, and the value for the money that DW represents is absolutely outstanding!

Once your adjust your expectations to where they belong, and see DW for exactly what they are, and exactly what they will tell you they are, a PRODUCTION 1911 manufacturer, the subject of your post will read:

Blown Away by DW!

and the body of your post will read...

When I compare DW to other Production 1911 manufacturers, I am absolutely amazed by the quality of parts, how well the parts are fit, and the fantastic overall finish.

Dan Wesson has NEVER claimed to be a Semi-Custom, or higher, manufacturer. If you call them, they will tell you they "make the best PRODUCTION 1911 on the market." And they would be correct.

Last edited by Harrish; 10-11-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:24 AM

Surprised to see so many people upset with DW. My PM9 and 2 revolvers have been great. So has their customer service.

FWIW, Shawn (customer service rep at DW) posted on one of the DW facebook pages that they're having issues with their phones.

Try emailing them.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:33 PM

I email Keith or Shawn if I need anything and they always get back to me.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:42 PM

I guess everyone can produce a bushel of Lemons every once in awhile.
My 13 stainless Valor was perfect.
My 17 DT Valor was perfect.
My 18' DT 9mm Valor is perfect.
The triggers on all three have blown away every Baer I have owned/own and my 2 SACS tuned triggers.

There galling stainless and DT being affected by chemicals is annoying though.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradd D View Post
I email Keith or Shawn if I need anything and they always get back to me.
Yep.

For anyone reading that does not have their contact info:
[email protected]
[email protected]
Old 10-11-2019, 03:36 PM

Sorry about those Valors guys. My 9mm Valor commander is probably the best shooting DW I own. Not quite as good as the 38 Super Pointman, but damn near.
Philippians 4:13
Old 10-11-2019, 05:25 PM

You have a problem right out of the gate, it shoots fine but has an extractor/ejectior issue and you complain, you will let a friend fix it before giving the manufacturer a chance?
Old 10-11-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Brad, read the very first statement I made, at the beginning of the thread.
45 ejector in a 10mm? Brass hitting slide as a result, damaging brass?
Sears? Slide release engagement? You ask what is the problem?
So, it's more about what problems you think you are going to have not problems that you are actually having. Can you elaborate on what a rounded sear is?

Does your ejector look like this?

Last edited by Bradd D; 10-11-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:22 PM

Flawless, superb workmanship, accurate, and not one issue. All of them less than 5 years old.
Attached Thumbnails
20190426_111810.jpg  
Closed Thread