Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-27-2017, 05:49 PM

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
I would suggest this is improbable, given the case damage... the stuck case broke the extractor, rather than than a failed extractor resulting in the case being stuck...

Were the case relatively undamaged, yet stuck, the extractor could be part of the problem....
I rethought that statement and edited but you had already responded.
Thanks though...good thinkin
Old 04-27-2017, 06:01 PM

A chamber cast using Cerrosafe is a common practice. A bit tricky on an assembled upper, but doable with some forethought.

I would like to see this! How would it be measured? The difference in 223 vs 556 might be hard to measure on a mold? YouTube?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmoutlaw View Post
So the interesting question becomes how do you confirm chamber specifications? I know of only one tool from a place called Michiguns that even looks common person usable, let alone this only answers the 556 vs 223 question. I joined these forums looking for the answer to this exact problem! But, seeing it's not OP rifle doubt it's going to get resolved and posted. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
It wasn't the ammo. Replace extractor. Recommend MPC extractor, enhanced extractor spring, and insert. Field, go and no go gauge the chamber with your bolt. If that checks out, you may have too light of a buffer and buffer spring. Recommend a 3.8oz+ buffer and fresh milspec spring for a 14.5-16" barrel. Your bolt carrier weight and buffer system failed to delay the gas system enough and the extractor ripped the case rim and broke. Your gas port in your barrel may be too large and over gassed. 14.5-16" barrels should have .063" gas port to be milspec. Shorter barrels require larger ports. Not knowing the port size, buffer weight, spring, and carrier type it's difficult to diagnose. Rule of thumb 14.5-16" barrel with.063" gas port, M16 BCG, 3.8oz buffer, milspec spring with under 2000 rounds your good to go. To enhance the system I recommend Colt Bolt Group, .063" port, M16 BC, H2 buffer, enhanced weight spring "red" from springco.
This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding. Article VI
Old 04-27-2017, 06:53 PM

Go / No Go

It sounds like with case or chamber out of spec. Either neck on cartridge was too long or chamber was too short resulting in case become wedged at neck. Subsequently, it sheared off. A Go / No Go chamber gauge will quickly tell you if the chamber is correct (within spec). What is interesting is the PSsst sound which normally would indicate a failure to either ignite OR ignited powder and expanding gasses had no back pressure because there was plenty of free space to expand. This would indicate either a inadequate powder charge, ruptured case, or bullet not seated in case. Ruptured case or bullet pushed back into case usually includes a nice flash show around the receiver as looose powder ignites within the upper and lower receiver. Tend to find excess soot and some unburied powder inside receiver and top of magazine.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I won't buy any of the black-box Federal 5.56 ammo anymore. I've encountered poorly-crimped bullets and once had a bullet telescope back into the case during feeding. Fortunately when the primer went off the powder simply caught fire and made a mess inside the action, since the bullet had fallen back inside the case. I don't understand how a company that makes premium quality handgun ammo like HSTs and Hydra-Shoks can mess up and make some really crappy 5.56 and .22LR ammo.
That's interesting about .22lr. I shoot a ton of Federal Auto Match .22lr and haven't had any issue (unlike say Winchester .22lr). For .223 & 5.56 I usually use PMC (bronze & xtac) which I have never had an issue with.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmr357 View Post
Not my rifle, so I don't know what was in it. It was locked up tight. The report I got the next day was that it took over an hour to break it down and clean it up.

I figure life is too short for a cheap, ugly gun so I've got a DDM4v7. I would appreciate any ammo recommendations. I'm more a handgun guy than a long gun guy. I've got some PMC Bronze .223, PMC X-Tac 5.56, and thought I'd try some American Eagle 5.56 XM193. Anything else anyone would recommend?
Literally anything you want, my DDM4V11 Pro get's fed steel Tulammo most of the time. Same with my LWRC SPR, guns that are at that level simply don't care what is fed to them. They will work 100% even run 800 rounds with suppressor and no extra lube.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS01 View Post
That's interesting about .22lr. I shoot a ton of Federal Auto Match .22lr and haven't had any issue (unlike say Winchester .22lr). For .223 & 5.56 I usually use PMC (bronze & xtac) which I have never had an issue with.
Their Auto Match won't reliably cycle most of my .22s, including my 10/22. I did pick up a box of their Game Shok once, and the stuff ran great just like it were CCI ammo. Unfortunately the Auto Match and American Eagle .22 brands are ones I avoid. I've never had a problem with their centerfire ammo until the issues with the 5.56mm black box stuff. I also prefer using PMC Bronze or X-Tac and will usually stock up on it whenever it's on sale.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:20 AM

why does the base of the case look like a belted mag case?
Old 04-28-2017, 01:18 AM

PMC XM193 is great stuff it's all I run for practice and plinking. The stuff is made in S.Korea and if I lived next to N.Korea I'd make good ammo and PMC does. Over 20,000rds of it in the last 3 years not one issue and I do not reload that kind of round so I pickup the brass I find and sell it for scrap.

My Glock 42 loves the .380 PMC too. I hate glocks but I got unbelievable deal on it at $120 and it transferred clean through my FFL so no worries about it being stolen or anything.

USMC Vet
Old 04-28-2017, 08:42 PM

PMC Bronze is really nice ammo. The brass is very good for reloading also. They don't crimp their primers so you don't have the hassle of that BS.

Last edited by corrigme; 04-28-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:01 PM

I have put over 20k rounds of Federal LC through my rifles with zero problems. I have had 2 squibs with PMC and 5 blown out primers out of 3k rounds and had a Fiocchi round blow up a rifle on me(improperly loaded) from the first 50rd box I opened out of a case. Fiocchi covered the replacement of the upper as the lower was fine. I have also had 0 problems with PPU (10k) and Wolf Gold(8k).
Old 04-28-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrigme View Post
PMC Bronze is really nice ammo. The brass is very good for reloading also. They don't crimp their primers so you don't have the hassle of that BS.
Is the PMC X-TAC crimped?

I've been looking into getting a SOT2 so I can build full autos and I heard something about ammo in full autos needing to be crimped and that's why LC does it.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:04 PM

Quick update

I'm back home in a free state while my friend is still in the People's Republic of Kali. I've heard from him that his rifle is in running order, no problems. We thought the round was a squib, but he said it cleared the barrel. It seems we had one bad round with a weak base.

Very interesting points brought up by all of you. Thanks from an old wheel gunner, I learned a lot. Looking forward to having some fun learning to shoot my new rifle.