Savage Arms has a new line of AR rifles - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-23-2017, 08:39 PM

Savage Arms has a new line of AR rifles

Saw this earlier today. Don't know anything about them being good or bad.

http://savagearms.com/firearms/msr/
Old 02-23-2017, 08:51 PM

Savage makes some very good bolt guns...

Be interesting to see a full spec sheet.
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 02-23-2017, 10:20 PM

Interesting. I too would like to see a full spec sheet.

Savage barrels with 5R rifling in .223 Wylde sound interesting though. I'd happily skip the BLACKHAWK! furniture. Curious about the rest of the components and what testing they do as well.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2017, 03:36 PM

The LGS has one and I wasn't 100% sure it was even the same company because I didn't no they were making them, I'll check one out.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:49 PM

Aren't they just a little bit late to the party?

However, I think that things are going to get very interesting in this market. Some folks will depend on price point and others will tout quality. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out and who is left standing at the end.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:06 PM

Not really any later than the Springfield Saint. Depending on configuration, features and price it could possibly sell. State and local governments are always looking for bargains.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:09 PM

The patrol is well spec'd,5r,1/8 twist.
Seems a little over priced though.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:20 PM

Looks interesting but that's about it for me.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistema1927 View Post
Aren't they just a little bit late to the party?

Lot's of outfits are going belly up. Now would be the time to buy one out if you want to get into the business.

Remember, it's buy low sell high.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baer78 View Post
The patrol is well spec'd,5r,1/8 twist.
Seems a little over priced though.
Barrel twist is only one of, and a non cost changing one for the manufacturer...

What is the barrel made of? Is it lined or coated, if so, with what? Is it MP tested? Is the BCG FA or SA? What is it made of? HPI and MP tested? What is the gas key staking like? Castle nut staked?

Those are the specs I'd be looking at.... they the basis of a quality AR.
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 03-01-2017, 07:04 PM

According to the reviews I can find, none very complete, it has a 4140 Melonite QPQ finished barrel, 1:8 twist, 5R rifling, Carpenter 158 bolt, dust cover but no forward assist - just a plug where one goes. Milspec buffer tube, which I take to mean 7075T6 instead of 6061. I can't find any other tech details anywhere. Too much money for what it is in my book. IMHO
Old 04-24-2017, 11:35 PM

Picked up the Recon a few weeks back. Solid build but cheap Blackhawk buis. Put a Vortex Spitfire red dot on it and put a couple hundred rounds down range. No hiccups, smooth action and dead on. Now working on upgrades, BCMGunfighter Mod 4 ch, Troy Ind. folding rear battlesight and Magpul Mbus Pro folding front sight, Magpul angled foregrip. Looking at several different bcg's: Cryptic Coatings (Toolcraft) Black Mystic, RangerProof Enhanced blk nitride, Integrity Arms enhanced blk nitride (RP and IA made by Azimuth Tech).

Last edited by BHP940; 04-25-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:51 PM

Stag makes a good rifle and a has a lifetime transferable warranty on the barrels no matter how many rounds I send down it. I have a model 4.

But it's the last AR I will buy I prefer to build them.
Now if only I could talk the wife into letting me get a SOT2 so I could build the fun ones.

USMC Vet
Old 06-12-2017, 03:17 AM

I picked up the Savage Recon has 5R barrel 11 degree crown this gun has the new look to it , the trigger also is very good , gun is well made looks good . I put a Weaver Tactical 1.5x6 and leopold mount on it . I have a few 100 rounds down range no problems and shoot real tight groups . I like my old school Colt M4 and my LWRC stuff but I like this Savage recon . I would take it any day over Saint , Ruger and Smith ,
Old 06-12-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triaxle View Post
I picked up the Savage Recon has 5R barrel 11 degree crown this gun has the new look to it , the trigger also is very good , gun is well made looks good . I put a Weaver Tactical 1.5x6 and leopold mount on it . I have a few 100 rounds down range no problems and shoot real tight groups . I like my old school Colt M4 and my LWRC stuff but I like this Savage recon . I would take it any day over Saint , Ruger and Smith ,
Very nice.

Do you have a pic of your set-up?
Old 06-13-2017, 05:46 PM

Update to my previous post: I just added a Geissele SSA trigger. Really made a difference over the single stage Blackhawk Blaze that came on the rifle. I also decided on the Cryptic Coatings Mystic Black bcg. The action really smoothed out and it is a breeze to clean.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
Barrel twist is only one of, and a non cost changing one for the manufacturer...

What is the barrel made of? Is it lined or coated, if so, with what? Is it MP tested? Is the BCG FA or SA? What is it made of? HPI and MP tested? What is the gas key staking like? Castle nut staked?

Those are the specs I'd be looking at.... they the basis of a quality AR.
Here is a man asking all the right questions.^^^^^ I couldn't agree more, what are the answers?
Old 06-26-2017, 11:02 PM

I have an MSR 15 Patrol and it's a fine gun out of the box. Recoil is extremely well managed even for an AR. It's had a few hundred rounds through it already and has been extremely consistent with 55gr 5.56 / XM193, but less so with the 55gr .223 loads I've tried.

The trigger is a bit of an on/off switch, but considering the primary purpose of the gun is for HD, by the time my finger enters the trigger guard I'm already sighted and ready.

None of the 2 stage AR triggers I've seen seem to provide much benefit though I'm sure my opinion would change shooting a caliber with higher recoil (I really want but can not justify a Wilson Combat AR chambered in .458 SOCOM as a bear gun, but hey we can dream right).
Old 07-09-2017, 04:35 AM

I have one of the Savage Recon MSR and its been flawless with all ammo . I did put a scope and changed to a Voltar stock this gun shoots . I have Colt M4s and LWRC guns and they got a brake for now .
Old 07-23-2017, 05:59 PM

Smile

Its not the gun you will take 10,000 miles from home , but I have had no problems with mine shoots real tight groups , 5R barrel 11 degree crown , Wallde chamber , gun has the new AR look to it I think it would get the job done , mine has the staked key , castle nut is staked , they did a real good job on the Recon model .the barrel the stock the grip the rail , trigger pack
Old 09-13-2017, 04:10 AM

I have another 400 rds or so through this AR no problems , time to clean it up a little .
Old 09-13-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
According to the reviews I can find, none very complete, it has a 4140 Melonite QPQ finished barrel, 1:8 twist, 5R rifling, Carpenter 158 bolt, dust cover but no forward assist - just a plug where one goes. Milspec buffer tube, which I take to mean 7075T6 instead of 6061. I can't find any other tech details anywhere. Too much money for what it is in my book. IMHO
Don't assume when they say mil spec for the buffer tube it's 7075T6. A lot of manufactures (PSA comes to mind) make mil spec tubes using 6061 grade aluminum.

"Mil-spec" for a buffer tube just refers to the style thread and how the tube is cut, not the material used in making it
Old 09-13-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flynn View Post
Don't assume when they say mil spec for the buffer tube it's 7075T6. A lot of manufactures (PSA comes to mind) make mil spec tubes using 6061 grade aluminum.

"Mil-spec" for a buffer tube just refers to the style thread and how the tube is cut, not the material used in making it
PSA has said several times that they don't use 6061 in their pre-built lowers, or lower build kits. only their "freedom lower build kit" uses 6061 and ALL their other buffer tubes are 7075t6... they used some 6061 in the past for their completed lowers when they were getting HAMMERED with orders, but those days are passed. You can tell as every buffer tube I've ever gotten from them has had the rolled threads of a 7075 tube
Old 09-13-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
PSA has said several times that they don't use 6061 in their pre-built lowers, or lower build kits. only their "freedom lower build kit" uses 6061 and ALL their other buffer tubes are 7075t6... they used some 6061 in the past for their completed lowers when they were getting HAMMERED with orders, but those days are passed. You can tell as every buffer tube I've ever gotten from them has had the rolled threads of a 7075 tube
Don makes a good point, as the term "mil spec" is somewhat unique in this context, and can means 2 different things in regards to reciever extensions...

- it can refer to the size and method of manufacturing, as it differs from a "commercial" version...
- it can refer to being COMPLETLY within milspec, to include 7075T6 aluminum...

I'm not sure rolled threads are a guarantee of 7075... it only means the process used was milspec, and the dimensions are likely milspec rather than commercial....
Old 09-13-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
Don makes a good point, as the term "mil spec" is somewhat unique in this context, and can means 2 different things in regards to reciever extensions...

- it can refer to the size and method of manufacturing, as it differs from a "commercial" version...
- it can refer to being COMPLETLY within milspec, to include 7075T6 aluminum...

I'm not sure rolled threads are a guarantee of 7075... it only means the process used was milspec, and the dimensions are likely milspec rather than commercial....
6061 is actually slightly thicker and doesn't used rolled threads. I've compared them up close before and the 6061 has always had cut threads, while the 7075 are rolled. due to the extra thickness required for 6061 they can't roll them on and meet the receiver specs