Retro ready to go!! - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-12-2017, 06:52 AM

If going retro is your flash hider period correct, I thought an A-1 or a 3 prong would be more of what was used?

https://rouschsports.com/shop/ar15-u...1-flash-hider/
or
https://rouschsports.com/shop/ar15-u...der-sp1-retro/
Old 03-12-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRites View Post
If going retro is your flash hider period correct, I thought an A-1 or a 3 prong would be more of what was used?

https://rouschsports.com/shop/ar15-u...1-flash-hider/
or
https://rouschsports.com/shop/ar15-u...der-sp1-retro/
If I was building an early rifle, the three prong would be correct. I am building a later model carbine. A birdcage flash hider is the way I am going. However, I have to keep it "NJ compliant".
Old 03-13-2017, 03:42 PM

I sent the barrel assembly back to Brownell's today, Hoping for the best.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retsgt View Post
I sent the barrel assembly back to Brownell's today, Hoping for the best.
Hope they're able to get this squared away for you in a timely manner.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:24 AM

Time will tell.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:35 PM

I just received an email from Karen at Brownell's. Their tech's have inspected my barrel assembly and have not found it to be defective as reported in their recall. They will be returning it asap. Looking forward to completing my build.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:14 PM
Administrator

I can hardly wait to see this thing finished.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I just received an email from Karen at Brownell's. Their tech's have inspected my barrel assembly and have not found it to be defective as reported in their recall. They will be returning it asap. Looking forward to completing my build.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKUOB8MN4Kc
Old 04-03-2017, 05:11 PM

I received my barrel back from Brownell's this evening. Now moving forward with this build.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:26 PM

I have this project nearly complete. When my son pined the sock, he failed to send the spring and buffer back with it. Should be here Monday. The guy who pinned and installed my barrel advised I may have an issue with the bolt carrier assembly. He indicated the assembly should drop in place with little or no effort. He had to bump it pretty hard to get it to battery. He said it could be the finish is too thick or something more serious. He further demonstrated by using a Colt, Armalite bolt to illustrate his point.The same with the two bolts from my other rifles. It has loosened up since I've had it home. He did recommend I put some rounds through it and see if that helps. I did order a Colt bolt assembly from Midway just in case. Also, I can't up load the photos to photobucket.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:29 PM

Complete!

All done. I haven't shot it yet. The bolt has loosened up a bit. I still have a Colt assembly coming from Midway just as a backup. This is a bad pic. I'll try to get some out door shots over the next few days.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Congratulations on a cool build.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post

Congratulations on a cool build.
^Thank you.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
All done. I haven't shot it yet. The bolt has loosened up a bit. I still have a Colt assembly coming from Midway just as a backup. This is a bad pic. I'll try to get some out door shots over the next few days.
Looks very cool. I'm not a real "reproduction retro" guy, my dealer is though. I like the older pistol grip, but shiny while authentic wouldn't go right for me. Same with the delta ring. I will share the amherst-depot with my dealer when he gets back, I don't know if he's been there before.

So other than those two things that are more authentic, I'd take that rifle as is for the fun of it.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:48 PM

Cool build. That shiny A1 grip reminds me of my old GM Hydra-Matic M16A1 I was issued in basic training (rack#106 lol).
RetDet
Old 04-12-2017, 10:55 PM
Administrator

I strongly prefer the A1 pistol grip over the later A2 style. Whoever thought putting a spike on the front was a good idea should have been dragged downrange and used as a target.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I strongly prefer the A1 pistol grip over the later A2 style. Whoever thought putting a spike on the front was a good idea should have been dragged downrange and used as a target.
Like any other finger grove deal, if it fits it's great, if it doesn't it's the worst possible design. Seems an odd thing to add when you're trying to keep things compatible across many folks.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:06 AM

And the Million Dollar question....How much do you have invested in the rifle as it sits? I know from experience that building one yourself makes it unique and no one can put a price on your labor for your rifle. I've probably built 15 or so rifles over the past several years and right now guns and parts are selling pretty cheap. One reason I'm asking about price is because I'm in the middle of a 300 AAC BLK build. Found out through my research, that I can buy a complete 10.5" upper cheaper than building one.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:43 PM

What does the inside of that Nodak lower look like? Is it low shelf, high shelf or true M16 spec sans sear pin hole as I've heared rumored?

I just finished my on a budget retro build a couple months ago. Once I figure out how to upload pics to the forum I'll post pics.

If that Nodak is fully milled like a M16 sans the sear hole I will be making the two hour drive down to their factory to get one in person.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:33 AM

Diesel and rusty: all total I've put in $900.00 into this project. And yes, I could have purchased a Bushmaster or the new Springfield and even a Windham for less. I have two M4 types already and I wanted something different. The above number doesn't reflect the tools I had to get to complete this project. It was fun though.