New sights possible for an old BHP? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-20-2017, 04:53 PM
bhpnewguy bhpnewguy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 27
New sights possible for an old BHP?

I have a beautiful 70C BHP that I'd love to use more but has the plain black low sights. I'd like to be able to get something a bit better but still fitting the HP's look.

Is removal and replacement of these sights simple and/or recommended? If so, any recommendations of newer sights that would fit? Even if they were the Mark II?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-20-2017, 05:02 PM
sanguo sanguo is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpnewguy View Post
I have a beautiful 70C BHP that I'd love to use more but has the plain black low sights. I'd like to be able to get something a bit better but still fitting the HP's look.

Is removal and replacement of these sights simple and/or recommended? If so, any recommendations of newer sights that would fit? Even if they were the Mark II?

Thanks for the help!
After trying out a few tricks on old sights, I've found one way that works for me to begin is, if you are considering sending it away and having the old sights destroyed, why not try putting your slide in a vise and get to work with a hand file, to see if you can pull it off yourself?

A gentleman by the name of Burgs on here has also suggested the Danish Contract style rear ramp, serrated. I ran across something similar when googling this same issue. I tried to copy that one time, and found the serrations do add some pop. But I have come to prefer cutting a 'paint channel.'

The way this is done is to put protective tape of some sort around the front sight and then to file a flat on the rear of the front sight. Then, using a triangular-cross section file, you can cut a little groove right in the middle of the front sight.

Using a square cross section needle file, open up the rear sights to let a little more light in. Touch up with cold blue and then paint the sight groove up front. I like an uncluttered rear, but sometimes I also like to cut another little notch in the center of the rear and add a little paint for a vertical alignment sight a la Heinie or XS. The picture I have attached is one such amateur attempt of mine, on a Kareen.

If you don't like it, then you can just send the slide to Novak! No harm, no foul. They'll get knocked off and new dovetails will be cut and commercial sights will go in.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170320_071943.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-20-2017, 07:03 PM
bhpnewguy bhpnewguy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 27
Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I really have no intention of sending it out for someone else to do this. I should have stated that. I was hoping that a sight pusher would do it and that others may have found a particular type of good sights to go in to replace it but I'll take a look at your idea too.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 03-20-2017, 11:07 PM
sanguo sanguo is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpnewguy View Post
Thanks for the advice. I really have no intention of sending it out for someone else to do this. I should have stated that. I was hoping that a sight pusher would do it and that others may have found a particular type of good sights to go in to replace it but I'll take a look at your idea too.
Well, are you happy with the half moon type front sight? it's possible to have a gunsmith out the tenon. But that's beyond my amateur expertise, and I was told that it was a rotten job when I asked the same of a gunsmith. I was told that it can be a bear to do if it's a narrow tenon, or if the tenon is crimped. However, some have put 1911 style narrow tenon sights in, so if you can find a gunsmith to do that, that might be a middle option.

But, my advice regarding hand files might be a little more appropriate for a Kareen or FEG if you're uncertain - you said yours is a beautiful commercial one.

The rears can be changed with a sight pusher, however. Mk 1 rear sights are usually inexpensive to experiment on too.

On both the Mk I and Mk II Hi Powers, however, there is no front dovetail. On the MK IIs the front sight is part of the reinforcing rib on the top of the slide.

Last edited by sanguo; 03-20-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-21-2017, 01:10 AM
Burgs Burgs is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 9,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguo View Post
Well, are you happy with the half moon type front sight? it's possible to have a gunsmith out the tenon. But that's beyond my amateur expertise...

Not all early Hi Power front sights use a tenon. Many are soldered.

.

The rears can be changed with a sight pusher, however. Mk 1 ...

On both the Mk I...

There is no such thing as an FN MKI Hi Power. FN never made a MK I Hi Power. This is a falsehood perpetrated by Wikipedia.
*
__________________
Cordially, ~Burgs


"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-21-2017, 01:12 PM
sanguo sanguo is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
*
Burgs is indeed correct.

There are some narrow tenon front sights, and some silver soldered front sights.

Both are an annoying hassle for a gunsmith, apparently, and often in my limited experience they find ways to get around doing new front sights. Why? It takes some work, they have to finish, and they have to compete with Novak's prices.

That's why, for sights without dovetails, it seems that there's this catch-22. It's annoying to send your slide away, but rising cost of living and gunsmithing make it so that few I've seen are eager to do so.

It is for this reason that it seems that, unless you are going to send your slide away, your options seem to be hand filing your own sights, or hoping you can find a local gunsmith willing to remove the front sight and either drill a hole for a new tenon, or drill out the old one if it isn't crimped (which becomes even rougher), all for less than the $200ish you can get new Novaks installed for.

Considering gunsmithing labor rates are often $90 ish now, the amount of bench time needed to replace the old style front sights means that, whether tenon or not, it's hard to get someone to do it, mainly because they don't want to charge you for something that isn't the best solution, which would be dovetails.

So, we are again in our catch-22 regarding the sights.

From what I have seen, hand filing isn't actually that hard on the old style half moons, and the result isn't so bad.

If that doesn't work for you, try removing your slide and taking a picture of the area inside the barrel. Someone else may be able to help better to see if you already have a tenon, if yours is crushed, if the bushing makes it difficult to do, et cetera.

Further, yes, there is the FN Hi Power, then there is the Hi Power Mk 2, then the Hi Power Mk 3.

For convenience, in order to know which model is being referred to, I find it useful for communication to add a Mk I. Inglish Hi Powers, after all, were called the Mk I. It is a colloquialism to help with understanding. But sure, let's invent an alternate.

The terminology we are looking for is a catch-all for all Hi Powers made before the sight rib and drop safety were added, creating the Mk II, but not to include internal extractor models. I think that would be most useful for the 'category' that could include C and T series, FEG and Kareen clones, and so on.

If you can suggest an equally useful one that also satisfies your penchant for avoiding appending a Mk I to the naming of a pistol that adopted Mk nomenclature for the Mk II and III, please, do suggest it!

As much as you'll hate this, how about we steal from the 1911 world and call them GI Hi Powers?

Last edited by sanguo; 03-21-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-21-2017, 01:45 PM
Burgs Burgs is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 9,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguo View Post





For convenience, in order to know which model is being referred to, I find it useful for communication to add a Mk I. Inglish Hi Powers, after all, were called the Mk I. It is a colloquialism to help with understanding. But sure, let's invent an alternate.

The terminology we are looking for is a catch-all for all Hi Powers made before the sight rib and drop safety were added, creating the Mk II, but not to include internal extractor models. I think that would be most useful for the 'category' that could include C and T series, FEG and Kareen clones, and so on.

If you can suggest an equally useful one that also satisfies your penchant for avoiding appending a Mk I to the naming of a pistol that adopted Mk nomenclature for the Mk II and III, please, do suggest it!

As much as you'll hate this, how about we steal from the 1911 world and call them GI Hi Powers?

NO. I've got a much better idea. Why don't YOU stop posting. Stop making up your own names for parts, pistols, procedures, everything.

All the parts and Hi Power models that so thoroughly confuse you already have names.
Instead of taking your time (any time) to learn something, anything, about the subject at hand, you continue to insist on posting total mierda just to hear yourself type.

Nobody here is going to reinvent the Hi Power universe to accommodate your lack of knowledge on all things Hi Power. You aren't going to get a participation trophy. You won't get a "safe space" to hide, wherein you can live in your own world. Terminology and nomenclature are important here. Language and words mean something, and YOU don't get to invent your own. Not here, and not anywhere in life.

It's becoming obvious that there is something wrong with you. You can't stop yourself from posting total nonsense and becoming a disruption to the rest of of the members here, who just happen to believe that this is the best Hi Power information source anywhere.

It's long past time for you to go. You have absolutely NO interest in learning anything at all. You just want to post and post and post to feed whatever is hole lacking in your life.
__________________
Cordially, ~Burgs


"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-21-2017, 01:53 PM
sanguo sanguo is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
NO. I've got a much better idea. Why don't YOU stop posting. Stop making up your own names for parts, pistols, procedures, everything.

All the parts and Hi Power models that so thoroughly confuse you already have names.
Instead of taking your time (any time) to learn something, anything, about the subject at hand, you continue to insist on posting total mierda just to hear yourself type.

Nobody here is going to reinvent the Hi Power universe to accommodate your lack of knowledge on all things Hi Power. You aren't going to get a participation trophy. You won't get a "safe space" to hide, wherein you can live in your own world. Terminology and nomenclature are important here. Language and words mean something, and YOU don't get to invent your own. Not here, and not anywhere in life.

It's becoming obvious that there is something wrong with you. You can't stop yourself from posting total nonsense and becoming a disruption to the rest of of the members here, who just happen to believe that this is the best Hi Power information source anywhere.

It's long past time for you to go. You have absolutely NO interest in learning anything at all. You just want to post and post and post to feed whatever is hole lacking in your life.
Burgs, you're embarrassing yourself.

I'm just a Hi Power enthusiast, here to learn and enjoy. That doesn't mean that I will adopt your preconceptions without question. I've learned a lot already: enough to detail strip, find solutions for basic sights, and so on. This forum has been an important tool in me doing that.

For some reason you decided to get all on your high horse when you and your friends decided to give unsolicited legal advice on a thread I'd explicitly said I would handle that myself. Even given the rudeness of you and your friends on that thread, I was swayed to begin my search for Belgian wood.

So, seriously...what's your problem, Burgs?

What's your problem with the suggestion I gave, based on my own, as pictured, experience, which is that if you don't want to have Novak do the sights, and you're not happy with them, try hand filing them? Here's an example?

Could you please post an example of any Hi Power sights that you've hand filed? Until then, it's pretty obvious what this is: you have mastery of some very good knowledge, Burgs, but you want to use it to play the forum gatekeeping big dog, even about things you don't have specific experience about.

Last edited by sanguo; 03-21-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-21-2017, 03:56 PM
Noklue3's Avatar
Noklue3 Noklue3 is offline
Retired Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 10,798
UPDATED:

After review, it looks like I should have taken more time to review ALL the thread. It happens.

I lifted the ban on Burgs and made sanguo's ban permanent
__________________
Semper Fi 1968-1972
Goodnight Chesty Puller, where ever you are !

Last edited by Noklue3; 03-22-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-21-2017, 05:04 PM
Charles68 Charles68 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 701
Thank you again!
__________________
Verbal judo expert.

Last edited by Charles68; 03-22-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 PM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved