What hammer and sear set would you use? - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 08:55 AM

OP - do you think it's time that you asked that the thread be closed? Points been made here.

"That which you come by too easily, you value too lightly."
Old 03-18-2017, 09:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP View Post
Perhaps you should take the nomenclature of the part up with FN/Browning. I'm sure they would be impressed with your expertise on the subject.

If you really came to this place originally looking for help/advice, which I'm beginning to doubt, I think that pool of information may be drying up very quickly. Talk about someone shooting them self in the foot.
If you're beginning to doubt it, please actually read the threads that I've posted on. Consider my original ideas on the prewar Belgian and the Israeli surplus, and how I ended up.

In both cases? I ended up taking community recommendation. After taking help/advice. Perhaps you might try reading the threads and trying to understand what is happening in them, instead of joining the dogpile because Burgs is all frowny faced because reasons.

You all can pretend that I don't learn and listen to you, but really all I object to is the rudeness and hostility displayed by long term members, who have been destroying Hi Power forum after Hi Power forum with their toxicity for years. The evidence is strewn all over google, after all, if you're looking for help with a HP.

'FN says' is not an argument. FN hasn't bothered to do anything with the Hi Power since the Mark 3. They've abandoned it for plastic fantastic in the FNX and FNS. Get real.

Very impressive though, how you decided to comment without addressing the substance of the comment regarding trigger transfer bar vs trigger lever! Bravo.

I'll see your FN, and I'll raise you a Merriam-Webster:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lever

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bar

Last edited by sanguo; 03-18-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:38 AM

Shipmate - "FN says" is the argument. They designed the parts, thier Class 1 engineering drawing name the parts, thier IPB list those parts. It makes no difference what you or I think it should be called, the FN nomenclature is the official part name. At one time I owned a 1943 Willis and a 1948 J3 Cub. Parts were named that had no relationship to thier function, but if I needed to replace them that's the nomenclature it had to use. Let's let it go and move on. Lots of good folks here and lots of good info and discussion. Enjoy it.

"That which you come by too easily, you value too lightly."
Old 03-18-2017, 09:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor View Post
Shipmate - "FN says" is the argument. They designed the parts, thier Class 1 engineering drawing name the parts, thier IPB list those parts. It makes no difference what you or I think it should be called, the FN nomenclature is the official part name. At one time I owned a 1943 Willis and a 1948 J3 Cub. Parts were named that had no relationship to thier function, but if I needed to replace them that's the nomenclature it had to use. Let's let it go and move on. Lots of good folks here and lots of good info and discussion. Enjoy it.

Thank you, I do mean it, and now you've got me interested.

I do think there are lots of good folks here and good info and discussion. I've benefitted from much of it myself. One of the things for me is that the parts so named that had no relationship to their function served as a barrier to understanding.

This happened when I was consulting real gunsmiths. They tended to be far more loose regarding terminology in person. In fact, around where I am, people who have been working on Hi Powers for decades call the trigger lever as it's named in the book the trigger bar, and the sear lever, the trigger lever.

There aren't that many parts to a Hi Power. Perhaps we could put together a translation post that might help, where we describe the actual functions of sloppily named parts.

Last edited by sanguo; 03-18-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

To the member that has been "Reporting" numerous posts that offended him, please stop. We are overwhelmed by the number of reported posts from you. We will review all of them and take appropriate action. There is no need to report every thing.

It is a Saturday morning for most of us, it is the weekend. We are a little slow this morning. Plus we have family duties that we need to attend to. Some of you may want to take a little break from posting and enjoy the weekend with a cup of coffee, breakfast, brunch, lunch or spend time with the family.

Just a suggestion.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:48 PM

I guess I should have stayed on my cruise. I am in agreement with many of the posts, I do see the new guy is now the all knowing expert, but I've seen this elsewhere also. I've always been leery of telling people how to perform any work on a firearm. If they print out something that could be construed as instruction from me, I could be held liable, LLC or not. I don't advertise I'm a gunsmith on any of the sites I visit to drum up work. I just like to see other people's opinions on the firearms I like. I likewise won't post negatively if I can avoid it. I hope this blows over soon, my next cruise isn't until May.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrCody View Post
I guess I should have stayed on my cruise. I am in agreement with many of the posts, I do see the new guy is now the all knowing expert, but I've seen this elsewhere also. I've always been leery of telling people how to perform any work on a firearm. If they print out something that could be construed as instruction from me, I could be held liable, LLC or not. I don't advertise I'm a gunsmith on any of the sites I visit to drum up work. I just like to see other people's opinions on the firearms I like. I likewise won't post negatively if I can avoid it. I hope this blows over soon, my next cruise isn't until May.
I am not a gunsmith. I am only a hobbyist. I am no expert, merely saying how I did things in my own surplus guns.

It seems that there is some unwritten pecking order I have violated? Oh well.

How am I the 'all knowing expert?' I have repeatedly stated otherwise in multiple threads. I'm just too crotchety to put up with high school pecking order nonsense.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguo View Post
Dropping in an SFS kit in addition to removing the mag disconnect and installing a 2 coil trigger return spring (if it doesn't already have one) will improve the trigger pull on a surplus gun.

If the trigger feels gritty, you might also might try taking a file to the part of the frame where the trigger bar contacts it, as well as the trigger bar, to smooth that contact area, and lube it. That's only necessary if the takeup is gritty.

I've tried it on two - it improved the trigger of both a stock BHP, and it improved the trigger of an Arcus.

I'm sorry, but nowhere in this post do you state you're an amateur. So don't act so offended when it's brought up.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:02 PM

Time for Sanguo to get voted off the island.
It should've happened in the middle of his now-sanitized Pre War HP/Stock thread.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O

Last edited by Burgs; 03-18-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Time for Sanguo to get voted off the island.
It should've happened in the middle of his now-sanitized Pre War HP/Stock thread.
Seconded! Maybe he can find another place that appreciates crotchety.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:02 PM

Close thread. Thanks.
Closed Thread