1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 01:05 PM

broken Hi-Power

This may have been asked and answered before. Daughter was shooting my Hi-Power and a small piece flew out of the breech and hit her in the mouth (couldn't find piece). Now slide stops a little short and hammer will not drop. Tried to disassemble pistol and slide will not come off. Help. Any ideas what happened? Thanks in advance,
David
Old 03-17-2017, 01:20 PM
Banned

Hi,

Only if you are 100%sure there is no live round in the chamber, and are able to remove the magazine:

Can you take a number of pictures of the pistol, try to actuate it, force it and take a picture a bit? Seeing anything it might be doing could be helpful. Especially at the maximum you can move the slide.

Are you are unable to move the slide enough to remove the takedown lever?

Things that could fly out of the breech might involve bits of the extractor or ejector or parts of the magazine, at least at first understanding, or a piece of casing.

If you can pull back enough to get a picture of what's going on inside, anything of the back of the chamber area, feed ramp, etc, that'd be great.

Last edited by sanguo; 03-17-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:30 PM

Meanoldman,

(I love your handle!) Generally speaking, when a slide freezes up, it means that the guide rod was installed upside down. The guide rods then often break at the hole and jam the slide.

It could also be some other small part, like the ejector, that broke off and flew out.

Unfortunately, the only way to tell for sure is to pound the slide off the frame if the pistol can be unloaded first. If it's stuck with a round still in the chamber that's obviously a very serious situation.

You'd have to put the frame in a padded vice and then tap the slide to the rear until you can get the slide release out. After the slide release is out, you'll have to tap the slide off towards the front until it's off. After that you'll be able to inspect the innards to see what's amiss.

I had this happen to a MK II early on. I got the slide off the unloaded pistol, but I was never able to discover the cause and it never happened again.
Because of this I now prefer the SFS-style slide stop, because you can tap it out from any position without locking the slide back.

If you can't bear to bash on your own pistol, it's shouldn't be a big deal for a gunsmith to do the honors.

If it's still loaded it's definitely a gunsmith situation. Should anything happen it won't be on your premises or around your people.

Please keep us posted as to what you find out. These types of malfunctions are a learning opportunity for all of us. Thank you for posting!

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2017, 05:30 PM

I agree with Mr. Burgs(surprised??), the first thing that comes to my mind is that the guide rod was installed upside down, and has broken off a portion of the "loop". If you are not comfortable with solving this problem(especially if there is a live round in the chamber), then a good gunsmith is in order.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the responses. I never learned how to post pictures. I have the mag out and the pistol cleared and will take to smith this week (can't bring myself to beat on the slide). Will post the problem once I see the smith.

Thanks,
David
Old 03-20-2017, 08:58 PM

ok this just gets weirder. Took the gun to the smith. He cant get slide off, messes with a while (didn't try and force anything) and then it started working again. All the parts look fine. He put a couple of rounds through it and it worked fine. It is pretty dirty. He has no clue what was going on either. Thanks for the responses.

David
Old 03-20-2017, 10:24 PM

Something broke off and jammed the gun. Can't think of any other reason for that to occur. Around 1973 I had a Fiat 850 Spyder drive train lock up on me and skidded to a halt. Took the axle out and fished around the transmission. Never found anything wrong. Put it back together and it worked fine. Strange things.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:50 PM

More often than not...when a Hi Power slide locks-up, the reason is (as noted above) because the recoil spring guide rod was install up-side-down. Between your messin' with the pistol and the 'smiths you may have loosened it up, allowing you to remove the slide. Go back and carefully check the guide rod for damage or deformity....just so be sure.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:55 AM

Did you take the slide/barrel off after it started working again.

If it locked up once, you can be pretty safe in assuming it will lock up again sooner or later...

I'd suggest you field strip the gun, and take a look at the guide rod where it mates with the lugs of the barrel.

This is what the guide rod correctly installed should look like:

And a side view:

Here is the result of installing a guide rod incorrectly:

This is another view...

In this pic you can see the broken end... this is the piece that is most likely to break away... There is a good chance this is what your problem was.

Hope this helps.

Chuck

Fear God and Dreadnought!!

You can't miss fast enough to win a gun fight!

Last edited by cxm; 03-21-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:42 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. The guide rod looks fine. I have been playing with Hi-Powers for forty years and while I can't say absolutely I am always careful with the guide rod assembly.

Thanks for the help.

David
Old 03-22-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanoldman View Post
This may have been asked and answered before. Daughter was shooting my Hi-Power and a small piece flew out of the breech and hit her in the mouth (couldn't find piece). Now slide stops a little short and hammer will not drop. Tried to disassemble pistol and slide will not come off. Help. Any ideas what happened? Thanks in advance,
David
Could it be the "firing pin retaining plate"? Mine cracked but held together and came apart when I started to do a detail strip of my BHP.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:52 PM

Were they handloads? Could you find the empty?
Closed Thread