10mm issues - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-09-2016, 02:53 PM

My new Rock 10mm 51991 jams regularly, chews up the brass to make it un-reloadable, dings the slide finish with some brass launching on it, and launches most brass to regions unknown, as I can't seem to find it. :P
Old 09-07-2016, 08:39 PM

Hmmnnm I was about to buy a MS tac Ultra in 10mm. You guys are making me pause. Anybody have the 51994?
"Let me make a short, opening, blanket comment. There are no "good guns". There are no "bad guns". Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a decent person is no threat to anybody except bad people." - Charlton Heston
Old 09-08-2016, 05:05 AM

I have the Tac 11 10mm with full rail and it's been 100% reliable out of the box, and the extra weight makes a pleasure to shoot.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:36 AM

I shoot a great deal of 10mm. I started with an EAA Hunter (amazing gun). I then acquired a Delta for failure to pay. Most recently I got an RIA. I have a few observations that may help out. The EAA Hunter shot everything well. It really liked a Handload of 180gr Speer Gold Dot, and 14.5gr of AAC-9. My Chrono showed 1311fps, SD 2!!! The Delta was used and had a typical Colt fit...above average, but, not DW quality. My RIA is a much looser fit (duhh). It groups 6in @ 25yds from a Ransom with the same load (my handload above). The Colt 3in @ 25tds from a Ransom. The EAA 1.r @ 26yds with the same load. The RIA is REALLY picky about the load. Those 10mm "lights" (180gr @1000 fps) shoot great in the EAA, the Colt doesn't care, the RIA....8in @ 25yd from a Ransom. When my DOD obligations slow down I'll replace the barrel and bushing on the RIA.....when I find time. AS to function, the RIA is faultless....oh, and the adjustable sight is going to go away.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjones1911 View Post
My new Rock 10mm 51991 jams regularly, chews up the brass to make it un-reloadable, dings the slide finish with some brass launching on it, and launches most brass to regions unknown, as I can't seem to find it. :P
I bought one last year. You can read about it here:
http://10mm-firearms.com/10mm-semi-a...9781/#msg49781

Have you contacted RIA? They have good customer service.

Jeff

Gun Free Zones = Free Kill Zones
Old 09-12-2016, 10:01 PM

Thanks for the link. Enjoyed reading the happy outcome.

Haven't contacted anyone yet, but it's on the to do list. Took it out 1 more time and noticed the main spring housing is loose too. So, if you press on it below the grip safety, it will allow the gun to fire, without actually pressing the grip safety. Don't think that's supposed to happen.

I'm off on Friday, so maybe I'll get the ball rolling then...

Thanks again
Old 09-17-2016, 08:14 AM

Well, sent my Ultra FS 51991 in yesterday. Gotta say they were super fast with the prepaid shipping label. Hopefully, they'll fix it up and I can post some positive thoughts on the pistol.

Oh yeah. Just for reference, mine was $611.90 out the door. Like the cheap price anyway.

Last edited by jimjones1911; 09-17-2016 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:16 PM

I have less than 100 rounds through my TacII 10mm and she just left to go back to get worked on for a second time. Barrel lug broke on the seventh round and at around 89 rounds one of the safeties came out and the slide stop pushed out and was turned 90 degrees down. Not real happy with it so far.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:58 PM

Must be a Monday or Friday built pistola. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2016, 03:10 PM

Mi midsize ful rail is very snikety about magazines, Wilsons do nothing but 3 point jam, had to return those to Brownells. A tripp mag works very well, the OE (Metalform?) mag works just OK. With the OE and Tripp I get more live round inertia feeds or live rounds stovepipes due to the recoil. I've upgraded the recoil spring and put a very heavy (24?) lb mainspring in it. Brass still is launched in to low earth orbit. Replaced the ejector as the brass was going forward out of the gun, never to the side or rear.
I had some problems with crimping my reloads enough but I overcame that feeding problem. And I lot hot rounds anyway so recoil is a real Mother.
About all I have left that I can do with it is go super heavy on mag springs as the two mags are losing control of the live round.
At one-point I said that I could never carry it for SD purposes, totally unreliable, but it's much better now. In fact last time I took it out save for a couple of those mag related malfs it was fun to shoot for a change.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:49 PM

RIA just called to inform me they are shipping me out a new pistol. Should be here in a couple days. Hopefully, it'll function properly. I have 500 rounds of 180 gr 10mm here to test it out...
Old 10-15-2016, 02:26 PM

I got the gun in my hands on 10-12-16. So, just over 3 weeks for the turnaround.

Just back from the range and the replacement 10mm had no jams in 150 rounds of Sellier and Bellot 180gr fmj ammo. I managed to find just over half the spent casings at the outdoor range, laden w fallen leaves. All seemed in good shape.
However, the slide release doesn't hold the slide open after last round fired 90% of the time. You can see they ground a lot of material off of it.

The original gun was serial # RIA1777***. The replacement is RIA1727***. Assuming they are built sequentially, it seems strange that the replacement would have a lower # than the original.

I had asked for a free magazine for having to deal with the issues, but got nothing.
I was told I would receive a tracking # when they shipped the gun, but never got one of those either. I guess I'm satisfied with their customer service so far, but disappointed that the slide isn't held open. Guess I'll have to email them and see if they can ship out a replacement slide release. I don't wanna send the gun back again...

I find myself wondering if I should have just gotten a Dan Wesson like I was toying with. I don't shoot well enough to justify spending that kind of money though. Just need Ruger to start making the SR1911 in 10mm. That kind of money I could justify... :P
Old 10-18-2016, 08:33 PM

Finally took it to the range after getting it back from RIA. Trigger is nice and crisp now. Not a competition trigger, but good enough. Shoots pretty good at 25 yards now. Was expecting a little better with a 6" barrel, but it is what it is.