10mm issues - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-20-2016, 04:38 PM

10mm issues

Any one shoot 10mm in a rock, I have one and it truly a POS, any tboughts?
Old 06-20-2016, 04:42 PM

10mm issues

I have a Tact II, some problems related to the extractor but fixable. Other than that, enjoyable to shoot.

What are your issues? Kinda hard to comment without details.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:29 PM

Yeah, what's the scoop? Mine shoots nice, always feeds and ejects, but can't group for poop!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2016, 07:50 PM

I bought a FS Tac ll used a short while ago. It's not perfect. I have at least 1 FTRTB every range-trip. I'm working to see if it's a mag issue (I have 3) or a spring issue (I have 3 of those also).

Mine also has the ejected cases striking the top of the slide occasionally (leaving a mark). Both these issues are somewhat common from what I've read on this and other forums.

What is yours doing that makes it a POS?
Old 06-21-2016, 08:46 AM

My Ultra Pro 10 was a pain in the butt until I filed the slide stop so the bullets would quit bumping it and locking the slide open. I couldn't get through a mag, had to remove a lot of material. Other than that it shoots fine, rather inaccurate relative to other 1911's but it shoots fine. For a Pro Match 6" pistol it's quite a disappointment in terms of accuracy.
I'm pretty much over the novelty of a cheap gun. I say save up and buy something that won't disappoint.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4BGRINGO View Post
Yeah, what's the scoop? Mine shoots nice, always feeds and ejects, but can't group for poop!
"Can't group for poop" sounds a lot like YOU cannot hold cleanly...
Old 06-28-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilibreaux View Post
"Can't group for poop" sounds a lot like YOU cannot hold cleanly...
I wish that were the case but I was using a rest to take me out of the equation. I also brought two other 1911's with me, both 45's, plus my S&W 610 revolver and used the same 10mm rounds that I was using in the RIA, I had zero issues with any of those guns. So what causes a gun to not group? I was told RIA's can be hit or miss with their barrels, maybe I got a dud.......
Old 06-29-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4BGRINGO View Post
I wish that were the case but I was using a rest to take me out of the equation. I also brought two other 1911's with me, both 45's, plus my S&W 610 revolver and used the same 10mm rounds that I was using in the RIA, I had zero issues with any of those guns. So what causes a gun to not group? I was told RIA's can be hit or miss with their barrels, maybe I got a dud.......
Same results here with the 'Ultra Pro Match 6" LS'. Seems like it should shoot better than it does. Locks up pretty tight, bull barrel is solid. From a bench it's just inconsistent. I can outshoot it with most any other gun which is sad for the RIA since it's trying to be match grade.
I sent it back yesterday, we'll see what they say. I'm not holding my breath, it is what it is. Thought I'd give it a try, I like my Tac II FS 9mm but it was half the cost and shoots better.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:17 PM

I'd still like to know what issues the OP is having. I hope all is well with loggy but it seems we've been left hanging with the original post.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistman View Post
Same results here with the 'Ultra Pro Match 6" LS'. Seems like it should shoot better than it does. Locks up pretty tight, bull barrel is solid. From a bench it's just inconsistent. I can outshoot it with most any other gun which is sad for the RIA since it's trying to be match grade.
I sent it back yesterday, we'll see what they say. I'm not holding my breath, it is what it is. Thought I'd give it a try, I like my Tac II FS 9mm but it was half the cost and shoots better.
Please keep us informed as to what happens with it. It's a shame, I thought it would be a cool gun for indoor matches. I drilled and tapped the frame for a Double-Alpha mount and put a C-More dot on it. I hope that didn't void the warranty. Heck, from the pictures of the gun it was supposed to have already been drilled and tapped, but no, it wasn't, so I did it.

Prior to installing the optical sight I function tested it and ran a box of 50 through it, was perfect, and wasn't concerned about accuracy at that point. I just wanted to make sure there were no issues before I modified it. Silly me, should have shot it at 25 yards and tested it beforehand........ I only shot it at 10 yards and it was pretty good, but I wasn't concerned about a tac-driver at that point.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:01 AM

My RIA 40 can't group for sh*t either. For my gun I believe it is due to the hammer that is too narrow for the frame and has the pin hole opened up too much. This is allowing the hammer to lean to the left and hit the left side of the slide before hitting the firing pin and stop.

You guys having problems with your 10's might want to see if this is also happening to you.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:11 PM

Just took my brand new TAC II 10mm out and couldn't hit the paper at 25 yards. Finally able to hit the paper at 7 yards and at that point it was hitting 5 inches high! With rear sight as low as it can go, still hits about 5 inches high at close range and can't get near the target from farther out.

I have been shooting 1911's since the 1950's so I am not a novice with the platform. I have 4 others that shoot great so it's not me. I don't see any obvious defects in the barrel or sights. After I really dig into it without finding anything, I may have to send it back. Bummer with a new gun.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:56 PM

Sorry to hear, @Ramoel, that has not been my experience. Have you contacted RIA?
Old 07-05-2016, 08:36 PM

Not yet, I want to check a few things first.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:33 PM

Well, had a local RO and Distinguished Expert run it tonight. At 7 yards all in the 10 and X ring, as expected. Move back to 15, pattern starts to open up, but not terrible. Go back to 25, looks like a shotgun! He couldn't believe it, I could. I told him I ran it off a rest with and without the red dot, same result, it sucks!

It will be going back. Has some trigger creep, none of my other 1911's have that. Twice it did not go fully into battery, I had that happen once, total of 300 rounds through the gun to date. Once didn't lock on an empty mag, but that could be an issue with the new Wilson Combat mags I just got. I did not have that issue with the factory mag. Bought four from Wilson, after the gun returns I will try all of them again.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:01 AM

Wilson mags didn't work in mine either. There just isn't enough engagement of the plastic follower to make the slide lock work. I wanted an extended slide release anyway so I put a Wilson in it. The Wilson mags work fine now.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:08 AM

Nice to know, thanks BayouBob.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:42 PM

I've had absolutely no luck with my 10mm RIA. It'll consistently ram the fresh round into the feed ramp and jam up. It's now back to RIA for a second time. Their customer service has been pretty good. The rep I emailed wasn't the most polite but they've paid for shipping each time so I won't complain. I've heard mostly good things about them so I'm crossing my fingers this'll do the trick. Hopefully, you have more luck then I've had so far.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:26 PM

I did a little work on my RIA 10mm when I got it, but not really any different than what I have to do on any 1911. It slam fired on me the first trip to the range. Safely pointed down range, but still scared the crap out of me. The disconnector appeared to be binding. I took it apart and the internals seemed rough, like oversprayed parkerizing (??). I polished up some parts, and replaced the sear with a Wilson that I had on the bench from an old Brownell's order. I put heavier springs in it. It has been running like a champ since, more accurate than I am.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistman View Post
My Ultra Pro 10 was a pain in the butt until I filed the slide stop so the bullets would quit bumping it and locking the slide open. I couldn't get through a mag, had to remove a lot of material. Other than that it shoots fine, rather inaccurate relative to other 1911's but it shoots fine. For a Pro Match 6" pistol it's quite a disappointment in terms of accuracy.
I'm pretty much over the novelty of a cheap gun. I say save up and buy something that won't disappoint.

Had same issue. Had forgot about it till reading this. RIA sent me a replacement slide stop as rounds coming up barely nicked it. Locking slide open. Just a hair would have needed filing off I suspect. Easy fix. Runs 100%. Very accurate.

Dan

A gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:32 PM

I did a few more checks with mine.

Did a laser boresight and it was right on.

The barrel looks good and locks up tight.

The recoil spring felt weak and was comparable to a .45 acp spring. I replaced it with a 20 pound spring that RIA says is the proper weight for the 10mm. The slide is much harder to rack now.

I'll try it one more time with a really solid rest. If it doesn't shoot better I'll send it back to RIA for a look.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:28 PM

RIA 10mm Tac2

Got my first 1911 in 10mm last month, a Rock Island tac2. First impressions were great; Good finish, no tool marks, very tight. All controls nice and crisp, trigger clean at 5.5 lbs. Took it to the range; love and hate!
The good: excellent sights, good trigger, excellent accuracy.
The bad: Unreliable. Tried 3 different loads. Armscor's own brand, Selliot @
Bellot, and Privi. None would feed reliably.
Bought new mags from Metalform, back to the range,still frequent failures to feed.
Gave it one more try, thinking if after 300 rds. it was still unreliable I would send it back. At about 275 it suddenly got better, after 300 it ran flawlessly.
Mixed ammo, mixed mags, slow fire and fast, nothing bothered it.
Never had a 1911 take so long to break in but there it is. Very happy now
Old 08-02-2016, 09:30 AM

Well, good news on my end. Except for the lack of communication everything went pretty well. I sent it back June 30th, got a message from Fed Ex Fri. that it was going to show up yesterday.
I opened the box and was pleasantly surprised to find a new gun in it. At 1st I wasn't sure but it was a lot 'cleaner' than mine (finish is perfect) and I had a machining mark on the exterior that was gone. Box was fresh, no scuffs. I checked the serial #'s and sure enough, new gun.
There is quite a bit of difference between the 2 in terms of fit and finish. This one just looks great, I can find no odd casting marks or machining marks on it. Safety is very 'snicky', trigger is really good. I had worked mine over a bit so it was a little lighter but this one is very crisp and breaks cleanly. When I racked the slide before I realized it was new I was thinking, wow, this thing is tight. The slide stop on my old one looked ugly, and I filed it a bunch. This one is much more 'right', looks like it was made properly where it hits the mag. I also received a test target, no writing on it at all so don't know how far or what ammo was used, but it shows a 3 shot clover, all touching. The paper work only said "confirmed and addressed customer concerns, replaced parts as needed". You think they would have mentioned that they sent a new gun.
I only had 9 rnds of 10mm laying around so decided to do 3 3 shot groups off a bench at 15 yds. My wife thought it was a little silly setting up for 9 rounds (usually don't set-up the bench out back). I put 3 1.5" bulls on a piece of paper. None of the groups were over 1.5", one group had 2 touching and one about 1/4" out. These weren't what I would call shooting for the money, just careful shots off a bench to check groupings. With my old gun I would have had at least 1 premature slide lock, this one shot 9 rnds flawlessly (I realize that doesn't say much but I was happy).
I even put a few rounds of 40 through it, it ejected a few of them at my feet and stoved a couple. About what I would expect.
Overall I'd say I'm pretty happy with it now. Glad I actually took someone here's advice and decided to let RIA take a look at it instead of just writing it off. I'll get some more ammo today and run it though it's paces, I'm hopeful.
I have 4 10mm's and am set-up to reload just need to get started on loading up some 10's.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:51 PM

Recently picked up a M1911 A1 FS - Tac II (51991) and I'm not too happy with the reliability. 350 rounds of Armscor 180 grain fmj though it so far and it jambs too often and it's chewing up the brass I can find from it. I threw down a 12x10 tarp to hopefully catch the brass at an outdoor range and only came up with 42 pcs out of 250 fired that day. Of the 42, 23 were dinged up to heck. It's leaving the slide finish dinged to heck too. No idiot scratch on it yet, but the outline of the slide stop/release is scratched in the finish.

I know it supposedly has a 500 rd. break in, and I have no problem running 150 more through it, but I know all it's gonna do is chip up the slide more...

As an aside, out of the 350 rounds of armscor ammo, there were 2 rounds that were duds. Primer was slammed, but wouldn't fire.
Attached Thumbnails
349.JPG  
Old 08-07-2016, 03:30 PM

testing