1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-25-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undy View Post
Pocketlite's my shorts 'n flip-flops daily carry. Buffalo Bore's +P JHPs adds some power.
I"m sorry I sold mine to my nephew. One of those dumb moves.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undy View Post
Pocketlite's my shorts 'n flip-flops daily carry. Buffalo Bore's +P JHPs adds some power.
Nice! Do you carry in the pocket?
Old 03-25-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grey Hare View Post
THe safety in the 1911 actually *locks* the hammer. It sticks a cam into a notch in the hammer.
Is that really true? I have heard conflicting reports from very competent gunsmiths. I know it locks the sear.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:36 PM

[QUOTE=Liveliner;13103882]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIS35 View Post
A gun is simply a bunch of mechanical pieces and parts. Pieces and parts can break, fail, slip, slide, whatever. I've worked on many models 1911 and HPs over the years, so have a pretty good working knowledge of the design and intended function. The only pistol ( as in semi-auto ) to pocket carry is a DA only with a long trigger pull. I pocket carry a Seecamp.[IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

What he said. First, pocket carry is already a compromise. Small gun, caliber hard to deploy compared to AIWB or OWB. For me striker fire is a no go in the pocket, no way. I guess 1911 style small guns carried cocked & locked could work. To me nothing can beat a small DA revolver or DA semi auto like a SW 380 Bodyguard for pocket carry. That hard first trigger pull is your friend in the pocket. I have 1911's, semi's & revolvers but for pocket carry a double action is the best tool for that job.
I’ve tried other ways of carry, but pocket is the only one I’ll actually do day in and day out. Why is striker fire a no go in the pocket? I’ll use a holster with whichever one I decide. I have the BG380, but I can’t get use to the long heavy trigger and I also can’t get a good grip on it. Thank you.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapdragon View Post
Is that really true? I have heard conflicting reports from very competent gunsmiths. I know it locks the sear.
Yeah it's one of those potato/potatoe situations.

To me, the primary function is to lock the sear which to me also locks the hammer, but it also *should* lock the hammer on its own... if everything is in spec.

Here's the only animation I found of the thumb safety

https://animagraffs.com/wp-content/u...911/safety.gif

And some chatter on it on some other forum

https://forum.m1911.org/showthread.p...a-hammer-block

I've had a sear in my hand, I struggle to think how it could break, but being made of metal, I know it can.
-----------------------^--------
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, FL Carry, USCCA
Old 03-25-2020, 07:25 PM

It should also be noted that not all hammers have a true half cock notch. Some have a shelf that is not a true half cock.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grey Hare View Post
Yeah it's one of those potato/potatoe situations.

To me, the primary function is to lock the sear which to me also locks the hammer, but it also *should* lock the hammer on its own... if everything is in spec.

Here's the only animation I found of the thumb safety

https://animagraffs.com/wp-content/u...911/safety.gif

And some chatter on it on some other forum

https://forum.m1911.org/showthread.p...a-hammer-block

I've had a sear in my hand, I struggle to think how it could break, but being made of metal, I know it can.

That's a very nicely done animation.
Thanks.
Looks like the thumb safety will block both the hammer and sear.

Might reconsider.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapdragon View Post
It should also be noted that not all hammers have a true half cock notch. Some have a shelf that is not a true half cock.
Not gonna try it on mine because it *is* condition one right now

But I think the newer ones -- which my Series 70 is -- have like a 1/4 cock instead of half. Mine was made 1/19

And the new Classic? They moved the takedown notch so you can do that "armorer's hold" to take it apart without letting the spring out first. I do it in the old way, no bushing wrench required. Mine still has the notch where JMB put it.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:47 PM

I'm one of those who always believed the thumb safety acted upon the sear...which is true and this was/is the original design intent.

But upon reflection, if the impossible were to occur with the sear, it does seem that thumb safety internals would impede/block the hammer. Next time I take one of my 1911s apart, I'll have a little sideline research project to undertake. (Where is Forum member log man who would immediately know the answer!)

Obviously, even if the latter is correct (as I'm quite confident that it is correct, at least for a 1911 matching JMBs design), you wouldn't want this to be the normal functioning method, as the trigger would be pulled, the hammer would begin to drop under mainspring strength, and there would be a steel-on-steel impact driven by the strength of the mainspring.

Even long-term 1911 enthusiasts sometimes find something new to explore in a 1911's internals... all of these being details that JMB figured out a long time ago.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 03-25-2020 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavelamb View Post
That's a very nicely done animation.
I didn't do it..

Here's the whole thing. I find it useful when explaining the 1911 to newbs. It's also just plain ole fun to look at.

https://animagraffs.com/wp-content/uploads/1911/
Old 03-26-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browning300 View Post
Nice! Do you carry in the pocket?
Yes I do, in a Desantis pocket holster. Printing is minimal and my shorts haven't dropped to my knees yet, lol...
Old 03-26-2020, 08:41 AM

Firehose pants from Duluth Trading have a small inside pocket inside of the main right side slash pocket that is perfect for a hideout or mouse pistol.

I frequently carry a P3AT in this small pocket and it disappears. Easy to access too. Don't put anything else in that slash pocket.

It almost makes me think that's why they sewed that pocket in there.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:06 AM

Of course this is your body, your hand, and how you dress sort of thing. My new fav is the SIG P365, which I don't have a picture of yet. I like it enough that if my wife "adopts it" I will buy another and I would like to at least look at one with a thumb safety on it.

In the past I have pocket carried a S&W Bodyguard in 380. I think with some of the new bullet designs like Hornady's Critical Defense 380 may make 380 a better choice than it once was. I also carried my Kahr P9 in the pocket but it sees an inside the waste band or ankle holster more often. The little AMT 45 Backup is doable in the pocket but is a nasty little pistol to shoot even though it is all steel. And every now and then I do carry my Bond Derringer in the pocket.

There are lots of pocket holsters. I like the Uncle Mikes for my S&W. Below with my Bond Derringer in it with the 45Colt/410 Shotgun barrel on it. Of course one has to cock it before you can fire it.

But again, it is ones body, build, dress, and hand. Well maybe experience also.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Updating your sig line old grey...

-----------------v--------------
[SOAP] [BALLOT] [AMMO] [JURY]
-----------------^--------------
Yep, I thumped it one click to the right.. and that was weeks ago that I did it.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:40 PM

"And FWIW, I shot an LCP once, the one with a groove on the slide instead of sights. I missed *every shot* at 7 yaards."

Old Grey Hare -
You should try shooting the LCPII. It has better sights and a better trigger than the original. I would rather carry my CCO, but when I "can't carry", I carry my LCPII.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:55 PM

This is a fun discussion. I’ve learned a lot about 1911s in this forum even past my original pocket carry question. I didn’t know what a sear or firing pin block a true half notch or not was. The 1911 style is a very interesting handgun, and it’s defiantly the best looking hand gun!
Old 03-26-2020, 09:20 PM

(mondo picture deletia)

I'm sorely tempted to get one of them Bond Arms derringers, if only 'cause I'm a sucker for milled steel vs. polymer or stamped/rolled/welded (ak, etc)

They cost almost as much as a Colt 1911, tho.. but.. the temptation is high.

It wouldn't replace my p938 for concealed.. that one would stay in it's iwb 4'clock holster..

The derringer would probably live in a boot. Or a pocket -- in a proper pocket holster. or in the car. or....?!?!

I'm thkning of the 45 double... top hole .45, bottom hole .410 shot.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Updating your sig line old grey...

-----------------v--------------
[SOAP] [BALLOT] [AMMO] [JURY]
-----------------^--------------
Y'know, cavelamb... I did give it one clock to the right couple of weeks / a month ago..

..but now I"m considering just sliding it all the way to between ammo and jury.

Let's see how I feel in the morning.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:16 AM

I've handled multiple Sig 238s/938s and Springfield 911 .380s. In every case the Sig safety was much more difficult to engage/disengage. The 911s seemed just about right in terms of effort. Also I liked the 911 sights better. I have a .380 911 and pocket-carry it in the holster that came with it (there are better ones), when I can't carry my Sig P365.

IMO the 365 is overall the best CCW gun ever made; i.e. it will fit the bill very well for the most people, more than any other gun, in an IWB holster. I'm partial to kydex holsters from Concealment Express. I also have a Hogue Grip Sleeve on mine, to enhance the grip girth to what I prefer. A 12-round mag in the gun for pinky grip, and a 15-rounder in the pocket; which I freely concede is probably way overkill. But running out of ammo is annoying.
Equal opportunity, not equal outcome.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:43 PM

S&W MP340. 357 magnum in a less than 1lb revolver is not pleasant to shoot, but its a neat little gun.