Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-23-2020, 11:32 AM

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffrey.../#7d3ceb0a64d3

Guy Noir, private eye.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:35 AM

I guess it's a matter of what scale you think in.

You have enough ammo for yourself?
That's good.

But can you equip a squad?
A Platoon?
A Company?

Now we're talkin!
Old 03-23-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inusuit View Post
Yeah, stay away. We like Wyoming just the way it is. Saw a bumper sticker: Welcome to Wyoming. Consider Everyone Armed.

Just for the record, we don't consider Jackson/Teton County a part of the state.
I"m considering moving there because it is a red state, and you may me consider me armed, pretty much always. Surely Wy. wouldn't frown on me for moving there?
-----------------^--------------
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, FL Carry
Old 03-23-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavelamb View Post
I guess it's a matter of what scale you think in.

You have enough ammo for yourself?
That's good.

But can you equip a squad?
A Platoon?
A Company?

Now we're talkin!
Squad = yes
Platoon = yes
Company = FOr a few days, maybe a week

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.” Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-23-2020, 01:06 PM

Relative to price gouging: The manufacturers (Federal/CCI, etc) have messaged to their distributors that prices will be going up 8%-10% due to the cost of ramping up manufacturing capabilities to meet the demand. So I can understand if a distributor jacks up their prices by 10% to maybe 20% max to make up for that increase.

Anyone above that number is price gouging to make a quick buck. If you absolutely need the ammo, then I guess you'll pay it. Just remember who screwed you over so that you no longer patronize them when the panic is over. Cheaper Than Dirt should be at the top of everyone's sh*t list, because they're scumbags in this area. Let those guys eat their supply.

Relative to all the new gun owners: This is what really worries me. I don't know about other areas of the country, but here in Northern Illinois all the ranges have been shut down even though the gun shops are open. This is part of Governor "Fredo" Pritzker's illegal stay-at-home edict. So the new gun owners are picking up their guns and their ammo, and heading home thinking that shooting is just like they see on TV. Those are going to be very dangerous people let loose on Society, and every stupid thing they do will be used to paint us real gun people in a bad light.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderboss1 View Post

Relative to all the new gun owners: This is what really worries me. I don't know about other areas of the country, but here in Northern Illinois all the ranges have been shut down even though the gun shops are open. This is part of Governor "Fredo" Pritzker's illegal stay-at-home edict. So the new gun owners are picking up their guns and their ammo, and heading home thinking that shooting is just like they see on TV. Those are going to be very dangerous people let loose on Society, and every stupid thing they do will be used to paint us real gun people in a bad light.
So how about we work with the NRA / GOA, and start dominating that narrative right this second, right now?

Why wait until it happens?
Old 03-23-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grey Hare View Post
So how about we work with the NRA / GOA, and start dominating that narrative right this second, right now?

Why wait until it happens?
Doing that as best I can.
Facebook mostly.
Several posts about all the new gun buyers, NRA safety rules, etc.

Offered my services locally as an NRA Instructor to new gun owners to
come to the range and we'll go over safety concerns and some
new shooter marksmanship drills.

I don't know how to do that through the mainstream media.
They don't listen to me.

Last edited by cavelamb; 03-23-2020 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavelamb View Post

I don't know how to do that through the mainstream media.
They don't listen to me.
We don't have the big money. We need to hook a few rich Conservatives and have them pour money iinto this.

Once this is over, I"m joining Appleseed, with the goal of becoming an instructor. I'm just till aghast that the longest range here in SoFla is 100 yards. 300 at Palm Beach.. if they ever finish it.

And as time allows, I'll volunteer NRA too.

But then again, bunch of dumbassess with new guns, how's that any different than any Tuesday in Chicago, Baltimore, NYC, places where it's really tough to get a gun legally?

It'll be biz as usual, but with a more vehement spin from Duh Media.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:09 PM

Grey Hare where abouts in sw fla are you? I lived in Englewood from 94-06. There was a range in Venice and a few spots out in NorthPort before it was built up that you could shoot at. At least until some dip****s ruined it for everybody.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
Grey Hare where abouts in sw fla are you? I lived in Englewood from 94-06. There was a range in Venice and a few spots out in NorthPort before it was built up that you could shoot at. At least until some dip****s ruined it for everybody.
SE florida. Wrong side. (the blue side.)

Even *at best* all I have is 100 yards at Markham.

Palm Beach has been working on a 300 yard range for years, and it was "yeah real soon now" middle last year, and still no range.

I work from home but one can only stare at the laptop for so long.. so for every 10 minutes I work, I do 10 minutes of.. something. Clean the house. Pack an ammo can. Clean my carry gun. SOmething.

I'm used to this, I lived in North Dakota for a while, and winters can get so y ou don't leave the house because Momma Nautre said so...

THis is different. This is my government doing it. For understandbale reasons, but it grates.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Gentlemen, every post since #55 has been off of topic of price gouging. Please take personal chit-chat to the PM section.

NRA Life Member
Old 03-24-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grey Hare View Post
SE florida. Wrong side. (the blue side.)

Even *at best* all I have is 100 yards at Markham.
And another 100yds at Trail Glades.... quite limited, no doubt. There's a 500yd in Homestead, although I've never seen it, and it might be a bit of a drive as well - all in lovely SE Florida traffic!!!!!
Old 03-24-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderboss1 View Post

You have a point and there are some idiots that will become new gun owners but hopefully every new gun owner is not a moron. I hope the majority will take firearms ownership seriously and learn to safely use them. I hope that many of them will continue to own and enjoy firearms after this panic is over. That might be hoping for too much but I would not want to see anyone who can legally own a firearm denied their right to do so. I am looking for that silver lining in this mess and I hope it turns out to be pro gun.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:49 PM
Administrator

All of these new gun owners are a fresh source of all those like-new, never-fired guns we'll be seeing for sale in the next few years.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
All of these new gun owners are a fresh source of all those like-new, never-fired guns we'll be seeing for sale in the next few years.
Unfortunately, though, a great percentage of them will likely be plastic stuff and ARs.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:30 PM

I got tired of getting hammered as I was gradually building up my inventory so 3 years ago I estimated what I would possibly need in the event of civil unrest to protect myself, family and property for a period of 3 months. I borrowed the money for the components and went to work custom reloading 1500 rounds for my AR-10 & 1500 for my 300 RemMag sniper rifle. Added to this was 2000 rounds for my 1911 and 5K for my .22 rimfire. It's reassuring that I dont have to subject myself to these insane price increases any longer.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
Gentlemen, every post since #55 has been off of topic of price gouging. Please take personal chit-chat to the PM section.
None of us like price gouging. If I feel that it isn't "artificial" then I can understand it. Gun shops trying to keep ammo in stock, such as was mentioned in an earlier post, makes sense.

If I absolutely need it, I'll pay. Otherwise, I'll leave it for someone else.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopknockious View Post
I hope this ends up being true. My purchase was planned before this all happened, but patience can be rewarded.
It’s true after the last gun buy happened there was unshot new guns in the used gun case. Cash talks beready.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 03-27-2020, 06:36 PM

i'm retired old fart. I don't hoard anything. I quit buying green Bananas. so don't come looking for my Stash. Trust me i do have enough to make you wish you would have passed me bye. lol
Old 03-27-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaidad View Post
It's not just toilet paper. Today is my normal grocery day. There were lots of empty spaces on the shelves, the frozen food section is durn near empty, and the only meat left was corned beef briskets and porterhouse steaks.
Well, breakfast IS the most important meal of the day
Old 03-27-2020, 10:24 PM

At one time.......every single one of us was a new gun owner.....
Old 03-27-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
At one time.......every single one of us was a new gun owner.....
Yep, I remember that Christmas Morning when Santa left me a new double barrel shotgun under the tree.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:47 PM

Just received an email from Outdoor Limited about their restock of CCI .22 Quiet. I was able to buy the last two 500 round bricks and paid 30% more than the last time I bought it. This hoarding business really pisses me off.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:15 PM
Administrator

I just checked Cabelas' website tonight, and they're virtually wiped out of all their ammo. Some .25 ACP and .32 H&R Magnum in stock, and that's about it. Now I'm afraid to even shoot my .22s for fear it'll be impossible to restock for the rest of the year.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I just checked Cabelas' website tonight, and they're virtually wiped out of all their ammo. Some .25 ACP and .32 H&R Magnum in stock, and that's about it. Now I'm afraid to even shoot my .22s for fear it'll be impossible to restock for the rest of the year.
There are places where you can still buy 5000 round bricks of 22, though it might only be subsonic. The $422 price tag would be more than I could justify to "the book keeper" however. Get on a notification list if you're jonesing, I checked, I got the email at 9:17 and they were out of stock by 9:40.