1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-22-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
That's the spirit my friend, and a wonderful thing to do. I burned some last weekend for a Pistol Instructor class that I was assisting in; still shot 184-7x on the DE course of fire exercise. My younger brother, who was also an assistant instructor, shot the remaining iterations of his DE course of fire to earn his DE cert and medal; definitely a fine day in spite of the sloppy and muddy conditions. Life is good.

And it was a sight to behold!
What fine mud.

I shot my first DE step there.
When can I shoot the next one?
Or is there a different forum for that?
Old 03-22-2020, 10:23 PM

Our local public range in Cheyenne has closed the indoor range. The outdoor range is open subject to limitations to the number of shooters that I don't know what the limit is. They are closed tomorrow but I will check with them on Tuesday. I usually serve as a volunteer RSO on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Last edited by BillW; 03-23-2020 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:25 PM

What I did this weekend instead of shooting

What I did this weekend instead of shooting. I made up one .30 cal ammo can of M1 food.

I don't think I've seen this much pre-clipped M1 food... ever. And I did it all by my lonesome. Well, SGAmmo helped, I'm the one that cleaned 'em out of 30-06 ball UMC ;o)

The can was a rustbucket, literally.. still had desert sand, it was 7.62 linked. Sanded all that away, resprayed in random flat OD color, turns out it's close to OD3.

The labels are my own doing, based on historical M1 food cans. Love that en-block icon, I had never seen that before.

35 AEC clips that I had to smooth out, 14 boxes of ammo, and an evening spent watching The Big Red One and The Longest Day.

This is my ammo can. There are many like it, but this one's *mine*... because i made it. 2 hours smoothing clips with a dremel with wire brush -- the parkerizing on new AEC clips is like 20 grit sandpaper.

2 hours between sanding and spraying the can. 30 minutes oiling and very thoroughly wiping down the clips. 2 hours clipping ammo to the clips (by this time I'm in to my 3rd brandy, so I'm taking it slow, making sure all is as it should). 20 minutes putting the NOS WWII cardboard silencers on it (we made so many of those, we still can get originals at cheap prices). Maybe 20 minutes on the labels. They're just made up on Microsoft Word, dumped to a laser on 4x6 paper, and then taped to the can using 2" Scotch shipping tape)

8 hours total to make a a proper M1 can.

Think on that next time you see people spray and pray in a movie or game..

Make. Every. Round. Count.

I hope, sincerely, the contents of this can *never* see daylight. It was made for SHTF. Not for range, not for hunting. It was made expressly for SHTF...

A couple of socially-isolated evenings well-spent, no?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9059.jpg   IMG_9060.jpg   IMG_9061.jpg   IMG_9062.jpg  
-----------------^--------------
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, FL Carry

Last edited by Old Grey Hare; 03-22-2020 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:39 PM

indoor ranges are closed here also
Old 03-22-2020, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles42 View Post
indoor ranges are closed here also
The gun stores around here (Broward county, FL) were allowing 10 at a time for purchases. All ranges, inside and outside, closed.

And the bars, and the theaters, gyms, etc etc.

The economic carnage will be horrid.
-----------------^--------------
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, FL Carry
Old 03-23-2020, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grey Hare View Post
The gun stores around here (Broward county, FL) were allowing 10 at a time for purchases. All ranges, inside and outside, closed.

And the bars, and the theaters, gyms, etc etc.

The economic carnage will be horrid.
=========
That was some nice work on the M1 food.

Here in paradise, the gov shut down all visitors (no Hawaiian vacations).
Travel and gatherings are discouraged.
Parks are shut down. Shooting range is shut down.
Going to work is discouraged. (but I still have to go)
Gun sales are effectively shut down because you need a permit to purchase and the police dept. is demanding that applications are by appointment only.
Presumably to enhance social distancing.

I spent the weekend cleaning house and yard. If this goes on for any length of time I'll have a sparkling clean house and a picture perfect yard.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:18 AM

Weather permitting my backyard range is always open.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:42 AM

Indoor ranges around here are closed. Outdoor range at the 2 clubs that I am a member of, (not open to the public), one is open the other is closed.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
Weather permitting my backyard range is always open.
This post is worthless without an address.
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:24 AM

Well, Michigan just issued a stay at home order starting midnight tonight. Guessing that no outdoor ranges will be open.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 03-23-2020, 10:42 AM

Apipeguy, I was just about to post that very same thing. Just this past Friday I had to cancel a trip to Arizona that I was planning on since January 😣 was supposed to take off tomorrow from Metro airport. I work at a hospital so am considered "essential" department. Was planning on just taking the week off, but in order to not run through the ammo I do have and to not go to batty, I'll probably have to bite the bullet and come to work by the end of the week.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:42 PM

Here in Fla my outdoor range is still open, shot there last weekend and took an advanced handgun training class there this last Saturday with my wife. Florida Firearms Training is keeping the classes no more than 8-10 people. Great day for a class, lead and gunsmoke kill the coronavirus...that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Old 03-23-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieC View Post
Here in Fla my outdoor range is still open, shot there last weekend and took an advanced handgun training class there this last Saturday with my wife. Florida Firearms Training is keeping the classes no more than 8-10 people. Great day for a class, lead and gunsmoke kill the coronavirus...that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Were the other ranges at OKSS still open as well?
COTEP#782
Old 03-23-2020, 03:38 PM

Just got an e-mail from one of the three ranges that I belong to and everything including the outdoor range is now closed.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 03-23-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
Even though STL city and county are going on lockdown, our range is deemed necessary since so many LEO/security people train there. We're staying open for business.
About an hour after writing this yesterday, my boss called me and said not to report to work this morning. Went in today in the early afternoon to get an update; still not fully decided what they will do. Attendance was down very sharply this weekend, as in never seen before. Aaaaand I'm out of a job*.

* No worries though; I had given notice and was planning on April 7 to be my last day.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAYHEM* View Post
This post is worthless without an address.
2 hours west of Columbus in Preble county. Come on over
Old 03-23-2020, 07:32 PM

Our indoor range is open here. They just are leaving a vacant point between shooters.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:27 PM

Got an email from my range that they've closed today.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:46 AM

I last shot at my indoor range on March 18. They closed it indefinitely on the 19th. I've replenished all of my ammo stock through reloading, so I'm all dressed up with no place to go.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:18 AM

COVID-19 pandemic and shooting ranges

In Brevard County, FL, which is along the Florida coast and about 60 miles east of Orlando, we have had all competitive shooting matches cancelled for the upcoming months due to COVID-19. This includes both indoor and outdoor gun ranges. Fortunately for me, I can still practice during the week by myself at my local private outdoor gun range.

Also in Brevard County, all movie theaters that I am aware of have closed, and most all restaurants. There are still some restaurants that allow take out service only.....

The spread of the virus is most likely to get worse here in Florida over the next several weeks, and sadly, I understand the need for all of the changes to help reduce the risk of spreading the virus.....
Old 03-24-2020, 05:27 AM

Our PA public ranges and gun stores have been shuttered by our Gov.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:39 AM

COVID-19 symptoms

One of the symptoms not often associated with the COVID-19 virus is the loss of smell and taste. Some carriers of the virus with strong immune systems may not get the full distress symptoms of the virus, and can still pass the virus to others...… The preliminary research suggests that if people lose their sense of smell and taste from the virus, it usually due to an inflammatory response in the back of the nose. They may not even have a runny nose or any nasal congestion. It is usually a temporary set back, and the sense of smell and taste should return after several weeks.

At the present time, when a person affected with the COVID-19 virus has respiratory problems, some doctors don't seem to ask their patients about their sense of smell and taste, and seem to focus more on the lungs.....

This new symptom of losing the sense of smell and taste should be emphasized more to the public, and a person with these symptoms should notify their doctor to discuss testing for COVID-19 as soon as possible....

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 03-24-2020 at 05:42 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:21 AM

Our range is private members only and has not been closed. We had our last Bowling Pin match last Saturday but members have to use precaution because Covid 19 has not impacted our area that much, we have 3 cases. After the shoot I was at the range four hours sighting in some ARís alone. I will be going back this week and really donít expect to see anyone. If any comes they can use the upper pistol range. We are a smaller range and keep members down. If anyone comes social distancing will be applied. Maybe at some point we will shut it down, the spike here hasnít really began.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
God is on the side of the best shots.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62Kolectr View Post
Were the other ranges at OKSS still open as well?
Yes, the whole range was open. I believe OK Corall just down the road is open too.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:14 PM

Normal outdoor activities are encouraged by our dear governor Whitmer, just don't pass the vape pipes and maintain your safe-space distance. . .

I did take a break from the home office today to send just shy of hundred rounds of 9mm downrange to the gong (backyard). REFRESHING! Thinking about going rabbit hunting this weekend for the first time in forever. . . the season is nearing its end.