Panic buying - Page 9 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-19-2020, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post

I'm gonna call BS. Banks don't keep that kind of cash on hand, and typically require a 48 hour notice to pull more than $5k in cash, even if you have $100k in your account. $15K without a 48 hour notice? Not bloody likely.

I will have to disagree. Last year when I had concerns I withdrew $50,000 from Bank America. They were not happy but they had the cash.

Talking about ammo I bought some of the last range ammo on Natchez. A 1000 round loose case of Blazer. Almost everything else was out of stock. I reload .40 and .45 so not an issue.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:07 AM

I took my new STI to the range (Stonewalls in Broadview Heights, who was featured on the news the night before) yesterday to get used to the Leopold DPP, and it was chaos inside the store. There were only two others shooting at the time, which is light, but the store was a madhouse.

There was a sign on the door that said only ten people inside at one time, but as it was All Hands On-Deck for the employees, that number was exceeded as soon as they opened-up. Everyone was buying guns, long and short. Each person who bought a gun was allowed to buy one box of ammo for it. There were so many people entering the store, that they eventually locked the front door until some of us were ready to leave. It took me a half-hour checkout, so I won't be going back there for awhile, or I will go real early.

You'd think a Dem was Prez.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 03-19-2020, 10:27 AM

I'm negotiating purchase of .38 Super 1911 from a guy in another state. We agreed on a price to include shipping. He contacted his LGS/FFL and was told they are not doing transfers. Too swamped with purchases and paperwork. Told him to check back in a couple of weeks.

Local Sportsmans Warehouse is out of all popular calibers except for the occasional box of high end defensive stuff.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
I'm gonna call BS. Banks don't keep that kind of cash on hand, and typically require a 48 hour notice to pull more than $5k in cash, even if you have $100k in your account. $15K without a 48 hour notice? Not bloody likely.
Not true. This is from the internet and everyone knows that it's gotta be true.

"Banks tend to keep only enough cash in the vault to meet their anticipated transaction needs. Very small banks may only keep $50,000 or less on hand, while larger banks might keep as much as $200,000 or more available for transactions."

I can speak from my experience from my small Bank of America. They keep far more than 15K for withdrawal. No advance notice required. That's why they have those big vaults.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:07 PM

Back to the panic buying thing....
Powder Valley is out of most of the primers.
Powder is holding strong....for now....
Old 03-19-2020, 03:27 PM

Since there is no need right now for them to advertise, maybe we will be spared the image of a bear telling us that his hiney is clean, if but for a little while.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:55 PM

Sistema1927 ----------- Yes, and two more things that will lessen, or go away entirely:

1. The stupid term "going viral" That ship has sailed & is not coming back.
2. Anti-Vaxxers. They'd be wise to lay really low right now.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:02 PM

I Panic Bought a lot of coffee. Gotta have my morning java while watching the world burn down.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Sistema1927 ----------- Yes, and two more things that will lessen, or go away entirely:

1. The stupid term "going viral" That ship has sailed & is not coming back.
2. Anti-Vaxxers. They'd be wise to lay really low right now.
Some will fade, but some have yet to gain full momentum.
Kung Flu is in vogue….

Hilarious when the Donald slowly enunciates "China" when he answers the stupid media question from a snotty little girl "Don't you think it's racist to call it the Chinese Flu"...…

The Anti Vaxxers may be laying lower than they anticipated.....
Old 03-19-2020, 04:30 PM

Well the idiots have succeeded.
Have not needed or looked for any TP or paper towels since this insanity started but just left my local Costco and they are completely out of paper products and don’t have an ETA for getting more.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
Kung Flu is in vogue….

My personal favorite is Chi-Com Virus.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlands747 View Post
Well the idiots have succeeded.
Have not needed or looked for any TP or paper towels since this insanity started but just left my local Costco and they are completely out of paper products and don’t have an ETA for getting more.
In Memory of.......
Attached Thumbnails
C392E82C-287A-4A8F-A55C-0E87E7BF3852.jpeg  
Old 03-19-2020, 08:34 PM

Just grabbed another couple lbs of powder and 3 k of primers...
Old 03-19-2020, 08:59 PM

I like the Chi-Com virus. That really nailed it!
Old 03-19-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I Panic Bought a lot of coffee. Gotta have my morning java while watching the world burn down.

Same here. No black coffee by 6am makes for a bad day. No matter what is going down on a given day, a few cups of stout black coffee makes for a better outlook!
Old 03-20-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt191145 View Post
Same here. No black coffee by 6am makes for a bad day. No matter what is going down on a given day, a few cups of stout black coffee makes for a better outlook!
Attached Thumbnails
5C10D0B0-7F5B-4D7B-8560-6FD0F94EBDCA.jpeg  
Old 03-20-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonHyphenAmerican View Post
My personal favorite is Chi-Com Virus.
That’ll do too!
Old 03-20-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
I kinda did - by accident.

They didn't have my favorite at the first store that had any.
So I bought a can of Folgers. Just in case.
Then found some food stuff later on.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
Actually, the reporting to the fed is $5k; I worked on on of those reporting systems for banks just a few short years ago on an upgrade of the system. That's what I do for a job - banking software.

A currency transaction report must be filed if the cash withdrawal, cash deposit, currency exchange, or purchase of traveler's checks exceeds $10,000.

Now any sort aggregate withdrawal or structured transaction is a "red flag" that could raise suspicions of an attempt to circumvent the CTR provisions of the Bank Secrecy Act and can trigger a report at bank's discretion. This is subjective and would be reported at the discretion of bank staff. It doesn't even have to be for $5000.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:28 PM

Wow, $5k?? I'm guessing that those forms must disappear into a governmental black hole never to be seen again ----------------------------

UNTIL you come under scrutiny for crimes such as dope-dealing, money-laundering, tax-evasion, human-trafficking, bribery, etc etc.

At that point the feds will go archival on your butt, dragging out all of your previous transactions from the bottomless pit of data .

I say this because, at only $5k, there must be 15 or so filed on me every year. So they must be supporting evidence, not triggers for investigation.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Wow, $5k?? I'm guessing that those forms must disappear into a governmental black hole never to be seen again ----------------------------

UNTIL you come under scrutiny for crimes such as dope-dealing, money-laundering, tax-evasion, human-trafficking, bribery, etc etc.

At that point the feds will go archival on your butt, dragging out all of your previous transactions from the bottomless pit of data .

I say this because, at only $5k, there must be 15 or so filed on me every year. So they must be supporting evidence, not triggers for investigation.
A lawyer once told me if you are long time bank customer, with zero history of questionable transaction and they report your transaction as a possible criminal act of money laundry, below the $10K delineation, you can sue them under a Bad Faith common law doctrine. Banks are suppose to treat their clients as lawful unless they have clear evidence that there is some financial shenanigans going on. Treating a customer arbitrarily as a criminal is actionable. That also includes refusing to deposit a check into your account and that is 100% legitimate, good and with all the proper endorsements or credit your account with the funds when the check clears because they think that it may be reversed without proof. It happens more times than you think.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:29 PM

In order for it to be anything otherwise.

Quote:

It sort of implies a level of efficiency that one does not normally associate with the government, state, local, or federal.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
Some will fade, but some have yet to gain full momentum.
Kung Flu is in vogue….

How about Chop Fluey I don't think I have heard that one yet.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:26 PM

Just posting about panic buying causes panic buying...

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association
Old 03-20-2020, 03:35 PM

I thought about offering up some of my ammo at a tidy profit on the local forum but then I had a quick reality check--do I want just anyone to know my contact info? my address? the fact that I've got enough ammo to sell some? Worse yet, do I want to meet a stranger in a parking lot full of desperate people?

Draw your own conclusions, I'll stand pat for now.