.223 loading questions - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-16-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
One shared load for each caliber to keep things simple.
Over 30 years ago when I started I had loads that would work with 4.5 grains of 231 in 9mm, 45 ACP and 38/357 revolvers, so I never had to mess with the powder measure when I converted between them.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:20 AM

Yes sir! That can be done.
You know better than I, that messing with bottleneck brass with vastly different volumes and projectile weights is not a walk in the park. Iím trying to discover that magic powder, but havenít found it yet.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
Oh yeah, the old 5.65........
Are you saying you use the same load for for all your calibers?
It can be done for a couple of handgun cartridges but bottle neck rifle cartridges about the best that can be done is one bullet/primer/powder combination that will work in a few rifles of the same caliber-that is after all what factory ammo is.

Between different bottle neck cartridges about the best one can hope for in my limited experience (I don't do as much with rifles as handguns) is finding a powder and maybe primers (depending on size) and bullets that will work in a couple like IMR 4895 and CCI LRP's in .30-06 and .308 with 150 and/or 168gr bullets. One might find a single charge weight that will work in both but I haven't been that lucky yet-in those two cartridges the starting load in -06 is higher than the max load in the .308...

Last edited by Capt. Methane; 03-17-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:22 PM

My comments are after your questions.

Considering starting to load .223 (for a MSR) and wanted to ask a few questions:

Is a crimp necessary for AR type guns?

If you have sufficient neck tension, no. I shoot primarily cannelure bullets and it makes sense to crimp into that.

Is trimming required after each firing/resizing?

No, usually you get a couple of firings, but it comes down to handling (how often you handle before you get to a finished round). I used to use a Lyman gauge and post size sort with those needing sized going into a bucket and I trimmed those offline with a FA trimmer.

The above being said, if you are loading for PR, you will trim each time (and do a bunch of other things). From the sounds of it you will not need this level of precision.

Anyone use the RCBS X sizing die? (supposedly reduces or eliminate trimming after initial trim) My hope was that I could load it on the 550 in a single pass if I didn't have to trim each time.

No, but I have a Dillon RT1500 and it has negated the need entirely to sort trim/need to be trimmed brass. Now everything is trimmed to at or below max case length. This device is also used to convert to 300 BO.

My purpose is generally paper/steel and coyotes. (50yds to 250yds, occasionally steel to 500yds) I'm low volume, (I know it would be cheaper to just buy ammo) but enjoy loading so this would be an opportunity to venture into another caliber. And I usually shoot at a home range so can recover my own brass and not end up with mixed range brass.

Honestly, do not buy a press just for .223 at that volume. You would be farther ahead financially just buying it as .223 and 9 is so cheap. However, other reasons to reload: it is a hobby unto itself, cost per round is less once press and equipment paid for, less likely to be impacted by shortages, more accurate and tailored ammo.

Any common pitfalls with .223 or anything I need to be wary of? Any specific die recommendations?

I use Lee dies on Hornady LnL. I also use RCBS powder cop, and Lyman expander dies. You will also need to decide how you want to handle swaged primer pickets and brass prep.

Good luck going down the rabbit hole!

Last edited by lhawkins; 03-17-2020 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:47 PM

https://smile.amazon.com/Dillon-Prec...%2C187&sr=8-13
Old 03-18-2020, 05:50 AM

Dillon primer pocket swaging tool.....

+1!!! cavelamb's post shows the link for the Dillon primer pocket swaging tool. I also use the Dillon primer pocket swage tool....I always seem to pick up .223 military crimped brass at my local gun range, but the Dillon swaging tool is fast and easy to use to reload the .223 brass with small rifle primers. My D1050 press will swage military crimped primer pockets, but I have to remove the tool head to change the shell plate. Since I only load about 30-40 rounds of .223 at a time, I use my D550 reloading press, and when I run across a military crimped primer pocket, I remove it and toss in a box, and at a later time, I will swage the brass with my Dillon primer pocket swaging tool.

Although I have several D1050 tool heads, I do not have one set up with dies to load .223 ammo, since I do not shoot my AR's very often.... For reloading small amounts of .223 ammo, it is easier to configure my D550 to load .223, and even using a Dillon powder measure, I can obtain MOA five shot groups at 100 yards.....I could probably get better accuracy using a single stage press and hand weighing each powder charge, but I do not do any long range precision shooting with a rifle......

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 03-18-2020 at 06:12 AM.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Methane View Post
It can be done for a couple of handgun cartridges but bottle neck rifle cartridges about the best that can be done is one bullet/primer/powder combination that will work in a few rifles of the same caliber-that is after all what factory ammo is.

Between different bottle neck cartridges about the best one can hope for in my limited experience (I don't do as much with rifles as handguns) is finding a powder and maybe primers (depending on size) and bullets that will work in a couple like IMR 4895 and CCI LRP's in .30-06 and .308 with 150 and/or 168gr bullets. One might find a single charge weight that will work in both but I haven't been that lucky yet-in those two cartridges the starting load in -06 is higher than the max load in the .308...
Yeah, Iím still waiting for bbqncigars response to the universal load.
The two examples (and Iím assuming 5.56 instead of 5.65 as one) are way to far apart with their characteristics unless we are adding filler for grins.