1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 11:23 AM

How Important is bore lapping?

For those of you who mock my assertion of the many benefits of bore lapping including improving accuracy, read the following article:

https://homedefensegun.net/bore-lapping/

I hope those narcissistic, "think they know it all's" can learn something. If you're interested, let me know, I'll remind you of my easy process.

Ya know, when I come across something I'm not familiar with, rather than bash the source, I investigate so I might be smarter than others.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:50 AM

Fish on!
Old 03-07-2020, 12:03 PM

As I have said to you before I'll will buy a pistol, ransom rest it, record on video what it does for all to see, follow your procedure on video to the letter, and test it again.

I maintain that a properly made barrel/gun will not benefit at all.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2020, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Bill View Post
For those of you who mock my assertion of the many benefits of bore lapping including improving accuracy, read the following article:

I hope those narcissistic, "think they know it all's" can learn something. If you're interested, let me know, I'll remind you of my easy process.

Ya know, when I come across something I'm not familiar with, rather than bash the source, I investigate so I might be smarter than others.
You seem to be referring to a previous thread re: bore lapping. For those of us that may have missed the prior discussion, please provide a link to that thread.

NRA Life Member
Old 03-07-2020, 01:20 PM

On a custom built Bullseye pistol you might see a slight improvement. On a $400 RIA you'll never see a difference.
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:

1) Big difference between rifle and HG b listics.
2) Not many that are capable of getting any perceived benefit unless you only ever shoot from a ransom rest, and that’s just strange.
3) Please find a high quality barrel maker that recommends lapping for either rifle or HG for their barrels
4) Read what Striker wrote, it’s right on
Old 03-07-2020, 02:11 PM

This is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter59 View Post
1) Big difference between rifle and HG b listics.
2) Not many that are capable of getting any perceived benefit unless you only ever shoot from a ransom rest, and thatís just strange.
3) Please find a high quality barrel maker that recommends lapping for either rifle or HG for their barrels
4) Read what Striker wrote, itís right on
We have been down this road already. All are entitled to their own opinion. And you can not believe evrything that you read.
Old 03-07-2020, 03:23 PM

How important is bore lapping??

To the guy who makes his living selling bore lapping kits, it's probably pretty important.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
How important is bore lapping??

To the guy who makes his living selling bore lapping kits, it's probably pretty important.
^This^

I wouldn't bother with bore lapping unless there's fouling or corrosion issue.

A little JB bore cleaner can help with some bores. I guess that's not really like lapping.

Once posted this photograph of a can of Clover lapping compound on a watch forum as a joke in a thread discussing watch case polishing.

The Clover compound sits on my reloading bench for chores when needed.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:22 PM

Revolvers can benefit from lapping, especially if there is a constriction in the first inch of the bore. I have seen Ruger revolvers with barrel constrictions. If you intend on shooting cast bullets in a revolver then taking the time and effort to fire lap the barrel can pay off greatly.

Or you can fire a few hundred jacketed bullets and achieve similar results.

There are other factors like the cylinder throats that also contribute to cast bullet accuracy in revolvers also.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:58 PM

I have fire lapped two handguns, not a definitive test. On one it simply pollished the bbl to a mirror like finish, I had never had a problem with accuracy or leading. The second bbl I could see some chatter marks. This bbl shot well, but would lead. I firelapped it & while I didn't get a mirror finish it was improved a lot. Accuracy was the same, but leading stopped. I'm a fan sometimes.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
You seem to be referring to a previous thread re: bore lapping. For those of us that may have missed the prior discussion, please provide a link to that thread.
Actually there's more than one but at this time this is the only one a can provide.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthr...6#post13087216
Old 03-07-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAYHEM* View Post
On a custom built Bullseye pistol you might see a slight improvement. On a $400 RIA you'll never see a difference.
Do you have proof of that? You among mockers.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:37 PM

Well tell you what guys, I expect these kinds of juvenile responses, I just wanted to get the information to you so you know lapping has all the value mentioned. Out of ignorance some of you deny and mock but that's OK, all of mine are lapped and when I post my performance you don't believe it, I can understand why.

I'm going to unsubscribe now children, play by yourselves.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Well tell you what guys, I expect these kinds of juvenile responses, I just wanted to get the information to you so you know lapping has all the value mentioned. Out of ignorance some of you deny and mock but that's OK, all of mine are lapped and when I post my performance you don't believe it, I can understand why.

You challenged ROGERS PRECISION that he doesn't know what he doesn't know and that his guns would be more accurate if he used your method and he responded by showing you his latest batch of kart barrels having a perfectly mirror uniform bore and asking you how to improve upon it?

I have very clear memory about that thread and the one you insisted slide to frame lapping increases accuracy when everyone was telling you it will LOWER it from opening up tolerances and you also insisted most of the accuracy comes from the slide to frame fit while everyone else said it was mainly barrel lockup.

You call us childish? Damn bro if that's how you see it then just wow.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland

Last edited by Striker2237; 03-07-2020 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:

Didn’t you ‘unsubscribe’ just yesterday?......

I’d love to see some ‘before and after’ shots if you have any. You know, proof?
Old 03-07-2020, 08:59 PM

I will be honest, I have never heard of this procedure. Coating bullets with a rubbing/polishing compound? Am I understanding this correctly?

When I first saw the title of the thread, I was thinking of some dremel type tool with a little nylon/polyester felt pad fitting the caliber loaded with buffing compound, like Flitz. There used to be some guy selling a bore cleaning tool at gun shows that had a dremel style tool with a felt like pad on the end of a rod that was used to clean out the barrel.

I just use a bronze brush and Hoppes no. 9 when I think the barrel needs cleaning.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Since the OP is no longer interested in this thread, let's close it.

NRA Life Member
Closed Thread