Replacement Night Sights - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-27-2020, 05:20 PM

Replacement Night Sights

I have an older OD Green Micro Compact and the Novak Night Sights are completely dead.

Is Springfield Armory Custom Shop the only place I can go to get replacement night sights?

In the end, we are not only defined by our friends,
but also those aligned against us.
Old 02-27-2020, 06:25 PM

Buy the sights you want from the supplier you prefer, and have your local trusted Gun Smith install them.
Or some supplier/manufacturers offer installation, but you have to send your slide to them, or the whole gun and a box of your carry Ammo and they will adjust them to your desired distance and point of aim (6 O’clock (pumpkin on a post) or center aim.
If you go the buy and have a Gun Smith install them route be sure to get the sights for your make & model.

Last edited by Steam Boat; 02-27-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:35 PM

I don't know if SA warranties the tritium inserts since they are life limited parts and get dim over time. If they are under warranty it's a no-brainer, send either the whole pistol or just the slide (no paperwork required that way) back to the mother ship.

If not you can send just the slide to Novak themselves and they can do the job also.
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2020, 07:06 PM

I have a professional made in 2005 that I picked up in September. Obviously, the night sights (Novak) were done for. A buddy told me to contact Trijicon to see if they would relamp them for me and they did just that! Three fresh tritium bulbs with shipping both ways cost me a total of $57. Turn time was 3 1/2 weeks but they advised me of that from the start so no big deal. Very happy with the price and now my pro has a nice glow for the next several years.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:59 AM

Revelations: a few months ago I contacted S-A about tritium front sights to replace the fiberoptic rod sights that were on two of my recent Springfields. I was told that they don't sell these sights. Also, there are at least 2 Springfield front sight cuts that they've used in the past few years--check the Dawson Precision website for more information and email S-A to see if they can tell you the sight cut for your exact pistol. Finally, I took a chance and got two of the Heinie #506 Cross Dovetail for the Springfield cut. I can't remember the exact dimensions and I've thrown away all of my paperwork. Fortunately, all the installation on both pistols took was a little file work. I'm very happy with the Heinie sights, especially since I don't like (really I hate) the distracting, superfluous, round white outline that most makers put around the tritium dot. Heinie tritium sights don't have the round outline.

Also, in the past I've done what TLJ suggested and had fresh tritium bulbs put in existing sights. I was very happy with that course of action.

Good luck,
Rob

Last edited by Rob S; 03-06-2020 at 11:59 AM. Reason: word repetition
Old 03-14-2020, 10:36 PM

Tritium has a half life of 12 years, meaning that that is how long they will last from date of manufacture. Those of us with older eyes are finding bright big dots a lot easier to use these days. I like Trijicon's HD line.

https://www.trijicon.com/products/pr...gfield-pistols
Old 04-05-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegoJoker View Post
I have a professional made in 2005 that I picked up in September. Obviously, the night sights (Novak) were done for. A buddy told me to contact Trijicon to see if they would relamp them for me and they did just that! Three fresh tritium bulbs with shipping both ways cost me a total of $57. Turn time was 3 1/2 weeks but they advised me of that from the start so no big deal. Very happy with the price and now my pro has a nice glow for the next several years.
Did you just send the sights or the whole slide?
Old 05-22-2020, 06:14 PM

I bought Heinie straight eight night sights for my 3 inch emp and they work great and were easy to install. Didnt like fiber optic front on a carry gun.