10mm or 44 mag - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-04-2020, 05:08 PM

As one person mentioned maybe a 44 mag in a lever action rifle with a 44 mag handgun as backup.

One interesting thing in 10mm is the somewhat recent Ruger Blackhawk in 10mm/40S&W. Below with a Ruger SR1911-10.

I have a feeling that some of the 40 S&W cylinders are going to get machined out for 10mm mag. Granted only a couple companies load 10mm mag right now but Starline sells the brass.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:08 PM

I don't have any experience with the 10MM auto, but have noticed the trend of many in Alaska and other big bear territory have moved toward them.
I do have extensive experience with the .44 Magnum, both in handguns and lever action carbines. I began hunting deer with a .44 magnum revolver when my home state began to allow them for deer in the late 80's. I've take fifteen or so deer with a handgun, only losing one. It was the first I shot, and I learned quickly what ammo to use, and to shoot them again if they go down immediately. I've taken another fifteen or twenty deer with a .44 Magnum Marlin. They will usually run about 30 yards and die so long as I hit them properly. My load for both my handguns and my carbine consist of 240 grain Hornady XTP HP's over 20.0 grains of 2400. Not as hot as possible, but a good accurate load from all my guns.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:50 PM

If you load your own get a S&W 460.
Not cheap but loads for what you're after have low recoil.
240gr on top of a case full of TrailBoss.
Unlimited possibilities.

A 629 and a Winchester Trapper/Ranger might be "old school" but works for us.

10mm is a good hiking gun for surprises.
You never know?
Attached Thumbnails
F96A0E29-314E-475D-8E24-1A44BBC653BF.jpeg  

Last edited by Imissedagain; 03-04-2020 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:39 PM

I have been very pleased with my EAA Weihrauch .44 Mag Bounty Hunter with the 7.5 “ barrel. I primarily use hand loads to .44 Special specs, but it digests full bore loads nicely and accurately.

A pal took a Dan Wesson .45 ACP 1911 and did the .460 Rowland conversion. That thing’s a hoot and stone reliable. It’s always on board when we’re caroming around the desert in a 4x4.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:24 PM

Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag gets my vote.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:57 AM

Hunting deer or hogs with a pistol round.....

In my experience, using a pistol for hunting is usually "ambush hunting" which means hunting from a blind or out of a tree stand.

I have hunted deer with a pistol from a tree stand, and used a .44 mag Ruger Blackhawk with a 6.5" barrel and iron sights. I estimated my field of vision through the trees would be about 50 yards at most.

When hunting with a pistol, the first shot needs to count, since it is unlikely to be able to get more shots unless the deer has no idea where the shot came from and stands still.....I have never been that lucky, and the first shot will usually spook deer....

I used a powerful reload for hunting.....and I cast my own bullets. My load used a 255gr. Keith Style semi wadcutter bullet, packed with 19 grains of 2400 powder. My gun was able to shoot a 3" five shot group from a rest at 50 yards, so it was plenty accurate for my tree stand hunting where a max shot distance was about 50 yards.....

For hunting, I would recommend a .44mag. If I was a wildlife officer, I would go with a high capacity 10mm, since it would be easier to control for fast follow up shots and fast reloading if needed for dangerous two legged armed critters.....

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 03-05-2020 at 05:03 AM.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:02 PM

Have played with all three cartridges: the .44 Magnum, .41 Magnum, and the 10mm.

I would choose either of the two revolver cartridges over the 10mm, which is the weak sister of the three. It's potent for an automatic pistol cartridge, but is distinctly less powerful than the two revolver rounds.

I would like to take deer or hogs with the 10mm, just for the education and experience of it.

Have only done a dab of handgun deer hunting over the years with the following cartridges.

.44 Magnum - two deer
.41 Magnum - one deer
.357 Magnum - one deer
.38 Special - two deer

Shot placement makes the .38 Special work fine up close. The other three work well at under 50 yards in my limited experience.

Last edited by bmcgilvray; 03-05-2020 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:11 PM

I believe you said you wanted this particular caliber gun for a hunting gun. If that's the case you are talking about possible long shots, as well as fairly close shots, and anything in between. You are not talking about rapid fire, as in a short range self defense gun, because when hunting with a handgun you will rarely get off a second shot, especially with a deer or hog. You will also want enough power to penetrate bone as in a shoulder it needed.

As a long time handgun hunter I have found that leaves only a few choices other than the big boys like 454, 460, and 500, etc. The most practical choices would be a revolver in 41 magnum, or 44 magnum. 10mm is a really neat caliber, but not versatile or powerful enough as an only hunting handgun. For an example a 200gr 10mm can only be pushed to about 1148 fps where a 41 magnum with the same bullet can go up to 1473, and a 44 magnum can reach 1493 with the same 200gr. The big advantage with 44 is you can go to a lot bigger bullet for extreme penetration on larger animals.

With all that said I always hunted with a 44 Magnum loaded just under max load with a 240-250 gr bullet. A big advantage to the 44 is you can load up with 44 specials for practice or even hunting if it's the right game.

I don't hunt anymore at 75 years old, but I still carry a S&W 629 Mountain Gun loaded with heavy loaded 44 specials and a 250gr Keith HC when I'm in the field, or the same 250gr bullet loaded just under max load of W296/H110 in 44 magnum when I go fly fishing in black bear country.

I leave you with two thoughts:

1: A 10mm is no where near the power of a 41 or 44 magnum.

2. An animal will never know the difference if he is hit with a 41 or 44 magnum.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:56 PM

Plus you can buy new .44 Mag ammo almost any place that sells ammo, and revolvers don't throw your empty brass away.

If you don't care for revolvers, the Desert Eagle .44 is a sweetie to shoot.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:04 PM

You might the auction sites for a Ruger 44 Magnum Carbine. My dad had a good friend who shot many deer with one. A semi-auto in 44 mag; best of both worlds!
Old 03-06-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter1911 View Post
I believe you said you wanted this particular caliber gun for a hunting gun. If that's the case you are talking about possible long shots, as well as fairly close shots, and anything in between. You are not talking about rapid fire, as in a short range self defense gun, because when hunting with a handgun you will rarely get off a second shot, especially with a deer or hog. You will also want enough power to penetrate bone as in a shoulder it needed.

As a long time handgun hunter I have found that leaves only a few choices other than the big boys like 454, 460, and 500, etc. The most practical choices would be a revolver in 41 magnum, or 44 magnum. 10mm is a really neat caliber, but not versatile or powerful enough as an only hunting handgun. For an example a 200gr 10mm can only be pushed to about 1148 fps where a 41 magnum with the same bullet can go up to 1473, and a 44 magnum can reach 1493 with the same 200gr. The big advantage with 44 is you can go to a lot bigger bullet for extreme penetration on larger animals.

With all that said I always hunted with a 44 Magnum loaded just under max load with a 240-250 gr bullet. A big advantage to the 44 is you can load up with 44 specials for practice or even hunting if it's the right game.

I don't hunt anymore at 75 years old, but I still carry a S&W 629 Mountain Gun loaded with heavy loaded 44 specials and a 250gr Keith HC when I'm in the field, or the same 250gr bullet loaded just under max load of W296/H110 in 44 magnum when I go fly fishing in black bear country.

I leave you with two thoughts:

1: A 10mm is no where near the power of a 41 or 44 magnum.

2. An animal will never know the difference if he is hit with a 41 or 44 magnum.
Great advice. I also like the .45 Colt when hand loaded to a good velocity in modern revolvers.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:46 PM
1911 Aficionado

For "back-up" I'd choose 10mm, for hunting, .44 Mag.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmaker View Post
Thank yall can't say enough how much I appreciate the responses and thought behind them. I'm gonna go with the 44 mag revolver and when the time is right get a lever action chambered the same. Love the 1911 platform but also a good single action revolver trigger. The 460R was a thought I hadn't had but I like the ammo versatility that comes with 44 mag. Thanks a bunch crew
Good choice, congratulations!
I'm also a fan of single actions. I think you'll like the versatility of the .44. Don't overlook .44 specials for fun & practice.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:16 AM

Thanks, I'm still keeping up with this thread. Still useful information being put in thanks a lot.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
Most handgun rounds are marginal for game of any size. A well placed .44 magnum round can certainly be effective within reasonable range.41 magnum as well. I would be reluctant to hunt with anything less than that, jack rabbits maybe.
Within their parameters, almost any handgun round with the word "mag" in it's name or it's mimic/auto-loader clone, is more than capable of taking medium to large game. Most are more efficient than archery gear, and look at what it is capable of. The capability comes down to the hand holding the platform, not necessarily the caliber. Folks that become legitimate "handgun hunters" do it for the challenge, like most archery and black-powder hunters. That challenge is to get within effective range and make a good shot. It takes practice and patience. Anyone can grab a rifle they haven't shot for a year and shoot a deer standing 200 yards off. What kind of challenge is that with the deer populations and rifles/ammo we have today?

The issue I see for most any auto-loader handgun caliber is the minimal to no availability of legitimate hunting type bullets, especially if one intends to shoot jacketed. Especially if one does not reload. That is another parameter the hunter must consider along with effective range and shot selection. A 30-06 rifle can be marginal with the wrong ammo and a poor hunter holding it.

Last edited by buck460XVR; 03-08-2020 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:12 PM

I know there is much to debate on the whole .44 vs 10 “thing”. I have told a few buds to buy a Glock 20. Double stack 10mm . It’s hard to beat 15 or 16 rounds of 10mm compared to 5 of .44 Mag is someone is concerned about a bear.

But for hunting, the .44 Mag is a better choice.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:48 PM

If your buddies don't like Glock's grip angle direct them to the Springfield Armory XDM 10mm.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:48 PM

Hunting hogs from tree stand with a revolver sounds a lot better than ground hunting them with a revolver. You could end up needing to climb a tree anyway.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:35 PM

Good old Super Blackhawk

I've taken a bunch of deer with my beloved Super Blackhawk but a lot more with my .357 Herritt, 14" barrelled Thompson Contender with scope. Don't need more than one round with that no BS setup.

Never went pig hunting unless it was in a bar. I guess you might want a semi-auto for that scenario. (not the bar)
Old 03-12-2020, 12:36 AM

I picked up a super Blackhawk in 44 mag/10 1/2” barrel for handgun hunting.
While I like my 41 mag, they say it has better penetration over the 44 mag. I think the 10 1/2” barrel is the way to go. I found one used, cheap, they removed the scope.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 03-12-2020, 12:46 PM

handgun for hunting

The best handgunning hunting in the AZ desert is for Javelina. I have two weapons I will use depending on terrain. My oldest and got to say favorite is a Dan Wesson 6-inch barreled 357 revolver. This is an old style DW built in 1979 in Massachusetts. Dan Wessons are beauties, with a lined barrel and excellent adjustable sights. 50 yard shots are spot on if that distance is necessary. For the last couple of years I also use a Rock Island 10 mm auto. I did not buy this one expressly for hunting and it just has a 4.5" barrel but it is a great 25 yard and under weapon and gives me more and faster following shots if needed. A lot of loads cn work on AZ pigs but for this type of hunting I like the tec-coated cast lead bullets from Underwood 180 grains or so. Either one of these weapons go with me as a sidearm on elk hunts and either load will drop an elk close by if necessary.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:03 PM

I shoot both, and have the same quandry. I love the 10mm for self defense, using 200 gr. Underwood ammo for carry in my Kimber Camp Guard. I practice out to 80 yards, and am confident in my shots at this range. In .44 mag., I reload a 250cast Keith bullet over 18 gr. of 2400, which will take anything in North America. I also have .41 mags, and use Underwoods 220 gr., Keith lswc for carry. I do not hunt with any of these, not for any reason other than I prefer rifles for hunting. As I age the .44 mag is less fun to shoot. Been thinking about a Kimber Jagare, or Dan Wesson Kodiak, but waiting to get my Custom Commander 10mm back from Fusion Arms.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ron "Chalky" Beason
Old 03-12-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmaker View Post
Been on the fence between the two. I want a pistol to hunt with. Mostly whitetail and feral hogs. Live and hunt in NC mountains so line of sight in these woods is hardly ever far. No 100 yard shots in these rhodos. So any opinions are welcome but which way would yall lean?
I've always....and hopefully always will have a .44mag wheelgun since I was in my mid 20's.

Fun gun to shoot. All I've ever wanted in a hunting handgun.

I did add a G20 ten years or so back. I found the 10mm was a very smooth shooting round...not harsh at all. Handled well. Killed a couple hogs with it. Never did like the Glock trigger for a hunting weapon, though. Sold it to a another member of the hunting club. At that time I was unaware of the various aftermarket trigger options that may have been out....certainly in today's market there are some excellent options.

A few months ago I added 10mm once again.....bought a full rail RIA 1911 and a DW Razorback. I'm still doing the initial braak-ins for each, but accuracy and "shootability" results are promising. I do want to add a fiber optic front sight to the DW, though. The fmj range ammo I ran was 180gr @ 1,250fps. Not too far from hunting levels. Smooth shooting.

I now have the dies, brass, powders and 180gr XTP heads to work up those hunting loads.

I'm a big fan of the 1911 pistol and look forward to taking some deer with one/both of those 10mm. That being said, I'd not try to run anything close to what can be easily done in an average 44mag wheelgun. I'll always respect the .44mag and enjoy using one.....but I'm glad that 10mm is something I finally added. Reasonable shots at archery distances have me feeling confident.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:26 PM

selection

I believe you will find the 44 Magnum has a much broader selection of ammunition that will work across a wide variety of applications as compared to the 10 mm.
The 44 also allows the use of 44 Special ammunition.
44 projectiles of all descriptions are very easy to acquire.

A good revolver such as the Ruger Super Blackhawk, can be cleaned up quite easily to produce a very nice trigger and you will never have to worry about it developing mechanical issues as long as you stay with factory loads or follow loading manual instructions.
I have never run into a 44 that was not accurate.

Of course, my solution would be to buy both...just for fun!
Old 03-12-2020, 11:33 PM

Great choice of caliber for hunting, OP!

My recommendation is to keep the barrel length at 6"max to maybe 4" min.

Having a Ruger Super Redhawk at 9.5" for instance pretty much makes it a rifle with respect of "inconveniently" carting it around with limited holster availability, etc. A good .44 round out of a 4-6" barrel will have plenty of velocity to impart its will on its intended target at your afformentioned distances (and further)! Also, in my HUNTING applications, a single action revolver is plenty fine enough. I find myself ALWAYS cocking the hammer first in hunting situations, even if game is running. For SD, maybe DA option would be an important feature.

That Alaskan guides have gravitated to 10mm just indicates that they have a utilitarian mindset of perhaps ONE handgun for self defense, guiding backup, reasonable weight to always cart around and as someone mentioned sizing up for the car-vault (though I doubt an AK guide would worry about THAT).