Do you carry when exercising?? - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-04-2020, 07:22 PM

When I walk or bike on a path, yes. Inside the gym, no. I still carry into the gym and lock gun in my locker.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:34 PM

Location: Where the Kaw meets the Mighty Mo (but I've been everywhere, Man)
I carry at all times (except when I enter a hospital or gov't building); I'm routinely armed even while lounging around the house, in the yard, or even just taking out the garbage. Whenever I cannot (or choose not to) carry in a OWB belt holster (usually concealed by a vest or jacket), I use a fanny pack, worn in front under an untucked shirt. My favorite is this design https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...iz.llFgVKg5VOI, although there are knockoffs that work just as well if you buy and install a better quality plastic buckle. Mine contains a Glock 17 and a couple of spare mags. Nobody has a clue. It also makes it real easy to reach the gun while seated in a vehicle.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:31 PM

For exercise I either walk, bike, or hike. Otherwise I'm in my home or the fire station doing gym work.
When home, I'm either armed, or the gun is between me and the door where I can get it easily in a hurry. Can't be armed at work unfortunately.

I am either open carrying or concealed depending on the weather if I'm walking/hiking/ or biking.

For biking I carry in a Safariland ALS holster, so it is locked and won't bounce out. Otherwise I am always OWB in a leather holster for my 1911's.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:55 PM

Well, I went a couple of years ago to qualify with the department I retired from. I had trained the firearms training staff. The scenario that quarter was, as explained, "You sre unarmad, and see a security guard shot by a suspect, you run up and must use the weapon lying next to the security guard." I asked, "Where is my towel," and received a quizical look. I explained, "The only time I am 'unarmed,' is when I am in the shower!"

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ron "Chalky" Beason
Old 03-05-2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmE View Post
FWIW, I carry my 1911 and other gear (spare magazine in horizontal belt carrier, flashlight, and pocket knife) everyday, practically everywhere regardless of what I am doing. Holster is OWB at about 3 o'clock. 99% of the time it is uncovered. Health issues don't allow for running but I walk a lot and generally walk to my destinations far more than I use a vehicle. I have lived back in my hometown for a few years now. It is an inner city area and I live in a high crime neighborhood. The only thing that has changed about what and how I carry is the change from my Ruger Vaquero in 45 ACP to my 1911 when I went from rural to urban.

The whole open carry is for rural and concealed carry is for urban is complete nonsense. Open carry has been more important to me in the city as it has been an excellent deterrent to violent criminal attack. The deterrent was less important when I spent my decades in the country. If I concealed most of the time here in the city, I would've already been in more than one defensive gun use situation or dead.
Interesting story...... but how exactly do you know that?
Old 03-06-2020, 08:38 AM

I ride a bicycle in the country. I carry in a shoulder holster when itís cool and ankle holster when itís warm. I never wear shorts.

One time a gentle man was walking his pit bull. It was where I stop to drink water and turn around. The dog pulled hard , the owner got spun around by the lead. Dog got away. I had my LCP on the dogs skull. He did not bite and finally complied with the owner.

Another time I was riding back to my house. Girlfriend was on the porch yelling there was a dog charging me. I pulled my Bulldog 44 from an upside down shoulder holster . I put a slug in the dirt right in front of the dog. Between the BANG and getting sprayed with dirt, he turned around running away yelping. This was in my own yard. I clapped the game warden and told him what happened. He didnít even want to write a report.

In the first case I would have been bit before I could do anything. I Han no reason to shoot. This was the second time I was in that situation. The very first time it was a German Shepard. Again , he changed me (I was walking) I had a 357 at almost contact distance. Dogs donít know what a gun is. He could sense my lack of fear and backed down. I knew the owner and did not want to shoot. Aftermath would have sucked.

I do not take a gun to the gym. If I do, itís in the truck.

David
Old 03-06-2020, 11:27 AM

My shop dog knows exactly what a gun is, not just the sound but what they do and gets nervous if I touch mine or have my hand near it and goes in between my legs and starts looking around for what it is I may want him to go after.

Ex police dogs are the best.......
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 03-06-2020, 03:04 PM

In the gym, no. Outdoors, yes.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:46 PM

When I go hiking or walking it is with my 5.11 Rush MOAB6 with the essentials: water, first aid, compass, knife, and 1911.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:12 PM

I don't carry when I run. I have nothing anyone would want and they can tell I have nothing of value except maybe my shoes. It's also uncomfortable to carry anything.

When biking, whether it is mtn or road, I don't carry. I don't need the extra bulky weight. I'm usually wearing bike shorts and cycling jerseys which makes concealing difficult.

When hiking I always carry.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:57 PM

I don't have a CCW so I have to be judicious in any carry. At home, my .45 1911 right by my bed, and my wife's .38 special on her side. If I'm in the living room and someone came through the front door I be grabbing some very large chef's knives in the kitchen and be screaming, throwing and swinging them as I charged the uninvited. I also have some training (not much but enough) hands free close combat. If I got out into the condo building common areas after 8 pm I slip the .45 in my belt and an extra mag in my pocket. And there are times I will transport a weapon in the trunk of my car.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:54 AM

I've converted nearly all my exercise to my basement weights, heavy bag, rope and treadmill, so my EDC can sit on the table while I work out.

When I take the kids/dogs for walks, I wear my normal street clothes and carry my EDC as usual.

Don't like to ride bikes.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:08 PM

If I am mall walking or walking outside, yes, i do. Most of my exercise though is on the elliptical at home and I don't since i am often still in my pajamas at that point.