Colt 10mm Delta Elite - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-24-2020, 09:09 PM

Colt 10mm Delta Elite

Hello yíall. Iím a forever lurker, occasionally chime in on here.

I have an all stainless 1911 Colt Delta Elite 10mm I use as a sidearm while bowhunting.

We hunt year round in South Florida and Iím not big on maintenance. The gun has gotten wet often and yet, I havenít shot it much.

I was showing my friend the gun as a carry bow hunt gun and racked it without ammo ofcourse. She had a very stiff spot. I mean really dry , spot.

I took her down and sprayed her down with Rem Lube. She loosened up.

I feel this slide could use some light grease on the slide.

What are you guys using for lube and where are you lubing ?

Thankx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2020, 09:53 PM

I grease everything. The rails, lugs, barrel/bushing. I use Rigg stainless +P grease the most.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 02-24-2020, 10:42 PM

Rigg Stainless +P is good for Stainless (and other) guns. In Florida, grease is fine, in Alaska, not so much! CC

Certified Law Enforcement Trainer
Certified Glock, Colt and Remington LE Armorer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2020, 10:06 AM

Well that settles that. Rig Stainless it is !!

Yes I am in Florida and I wonít get the clog up you get in Alaska.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:41 PM

I have known people who didn't want to detail strip their handgun (say something more complicated than a 1911) to UNLOAD it and put it in the oven at 130 degrees for an hour or two. (I've also heard of someone who forgot it was in there, Loaded, and someone later pre-heated the oven up to 400 degrees for a roast or something and it went off!)

Me, I like to do at least a field strip and light clean after being out in the environment. And it's good therapy, anyway..... CC

Certified Law Enforcement Trainer
Certified Glock, Colt and Remington LE Armorer
Old 02-25-2020, 07:00 PM

Some of us use Lubriplate, found in the auto parts stores.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:12 PM

Maybe you should view the experience as a wake up call to always be prepared. Check your gun frequently and keep it lubed properly.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:45 PM

If it slides, it gets grease. If it rotates, I use oil.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:52 PM

Since the early 1970s when I was a kid "borrowing" the can of Singer Sewing Machine Oil my mother kept in her Singer sewing machine cabinet I've always used only Singer or other machine oil. I'm still using some guns I had in the 1970s. Some have received regular and heavy use Always perfect satisfaction, even on the stuff that slides, including the stainless steel Colt Delta Elite here.

Just don't like gun grease.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortec View Post
Maybe you should view the experience as a wake up call to always be prepared. Check your gun frequently and keep it lubed properly.

Oh TRUST me ! First thing I said. Charging wild boar or black bear .

The deal was, if I pulled the slide back and just let it go, the spring is so strong it would charge.

It was when you kept your hand on the slide to try to do it quietly is when it hung up.

I field stripped it, Rem Lubed it and cleaned out the old gunpowder. Ordered the Rigg +P. It gets here today but Iím in the woods now bow hunting.

Strangely enough, just arrowed a monster sized pig. Blood trailered it 200 yards with great blood and bubbles. My mind kept telling me to look for a body being the distance was far enough that it was dead or gonna jump.

The old eyes get tired quick and I was struggling with blood but had the trail and foot prints. Out of nowhere in a mud hole with water in the swamp he blows up 10 feet in front of me. I dropped my Hoyt, pulled and racked the Colt and got 2 shots off. Gun ofcourse was flawless as I knew it would be.

Pork chops tonite.

Old 02-26-2020, 08:26 PM
1911 Aficionado

I use Wilson Ultimalube grease as "assembly lube". the gun can be fired in that condition, but I'll add a few drops of oil before going to the range.
I have put guns in the safe with only oil for lube, and they can be bone dry a year later.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:49 PM

Got the Rigg Stainless +p from Amazon Prime. Was waiting @ my door step when I got home from bow hunting hogs.

Let me tell you guys. THANK YOU !!!

Did a field strip and used a Q-Tip to coat all slide areas etc. worked it in and she glides like skates on ice !!!

I cannot thank you guys enough !!!

Old 02-28-2020, 11:48 AM

Yes Rigg Stainless +p is nice. Many years ago I remember using Hoppes No. 9 I borrowed from my dad. Later Outers 445 Gun Oil. Then in the late 70s I got into TRI-FLON which I used on my AMT Hardballer I bought in 1984 and have never had any problems with. Also tried and like Ballistol but my wife does not like the smell of it. More recently I got into CLP stuff and CLP for SS for SS guns. Have also used TRI-FLOW as I have it sitting around to use on my bicycles. I think the big thing is to keep any gun lubed.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:13 PM

+1 on RemLube for any cold weather applications. Not just alaska. I had an old buddy who swore by it and i use it every duck season on several guns. Cant attest to its protective capability, but it will flat out lube it and keep it running under hash conditions. I used to make fun of my friend as i wasnt a remington person at all, but that **** works and it is a main stay now in my cleaning bags, range bags, and shooting bags.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:01 AM

I took my vacuum cleaner to the repair shop.
I asked the owner, "what is the best vacuum cleaner for home use?"
He replied, "the one you use all the time."

I believe that same principle applies here.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
I have put guns in the safe with only oil for lube, and they can be bone dry a year later.
Breakfree CO Collector oil will solve that problem. I have guns in my safe that are still wet with CO Collector oil after more than 3 years.

Itís good stuff for long term storage and you could pull the gun out and shoot it as-is, if desired, but I do run a dry patch through the barrel first.

https://www.amazon.com/BreakFree-Mod.../dp/B08437LQKF
Old 03-04-2020, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the tip
Old 03-13-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phizzard View Post
+1 on RemLube for any cold weather applications. Not just alaska. I had an old buddy who swore by it and i use it every duck season on several guns. Cant attest to its protective capability, but it will flat out lube it and keep it running under hash conditions. I used to make fun of my friend as i wasnt a remington person at all, but that **** works and it is a main stay now in my cleaning bags, range bags, and shooting bags.
RemLube is good for lube, but NOT for rust prevention. Don't put it on a gun that may be subject to humidity changes such as in storage.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:08 PM

I use Balistol