1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-19-2020, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Iwo Jima 2/19/1945

75 years ago today the battle to take "Bloody Iwo" began.

I just found this picture online today. Note the Marine with the .45 on the right.

Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.

Last edited by dsk; 02-19-2020 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post

I just found this picture online today. Note the soldier with the .45 on the right.
My dad missed Iwo. His ship happened to be in for repair at the time. He was happy about that. But he did make it to Okinawa those kids were scared to death. Nasty fighting on the island and kamikaze pilots diving on the ships had to have been hell.

One thing that I always notice with pictures taken on the pacific islands during WWII is the tree remains and lack of vegetation. No telling how many tons of shells were dropped on the islands before the landing.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:00 PM

Before the landing : 6.800 tons of bombs during 74 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2020, 04:41 PM

I have read several books on the battles of Iwo Jima and Okinawa. I think the latter was the nastier by far of the two. However, I doubt that you would convince any Iwo Jima vet that he had it easier. Both places were hell.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog1 View Post
My dad's B24 Group was one of the ones who bombed it.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 02-19-2020, 06:50 PM

Semper fi. We tried to live up to you WW2 Marines.

USMC 1965--68
Old 02-19-2020, 07:01 PM

I still say we should of dropped the third nuke on Tokyo just forvthere brutality.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 02-19-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post

I just found this picture online today. Note the soldier with the .45 on the right.

Dsk - that’s a Marine, not a soldier. Semper Fi.

"That which you come by too easily, you value too lightly."
Old 02-19-2020, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Duly corrected, Sir. Carry on.

Quote:
What is unbelievable is the fact that all that ordnance (plus shelling by the Navy) failed to soften up the Japanese defenses. They were so well dug-in with their huge network of tunnels that the majority of them survived the initial bombardment. The high-explosive bombs only managed to throw the volcanic soil around and the armor-piercing ones usually just landed with a thud. It took a direct hit on a tunnel entrance to do any good.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.

Last edited by dsk; 02-19-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:59 PM

During all of WWII, some 85 Marines were awarded the MOH. Of those 85 awards, 27 were for actions during the Iwo Jima Campaign.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:28 PM

There were no "safe spaces" on Iwo.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:34 PM
Administrator

70 years ago today, 2/23/1945

The flags went up on Mount Suribachi.

Old 02-24-2020, 01:18 AM

Iwo was the only battle where we lost more men than the enemy did. There were 25,000 Japanese soldiers at the beginning, only 300 were taken prisoner, the rest all died. But our losses were higher. There are some great pieces on CSPAN and YouTube on that battle and others.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:45 AM

We had an attack force of some 70,000 combined force troops, most Marines. Japan had a defending force of some 22,000 - mostly IJN Marines. Our casualties were 6821 KIA, 19,217 WIA. The IJN casualties were 21,844 KIA, and 216 POWs. Most of the POWs that we’re taken were Korean laborers.
Adm Nimitz said of the battle that “ uncommon valor was a common virtue “. He was right.

Old 02-24-2020, 07:50 AM

From the same author of Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors, I'm about 3/4 the way through The Fleet At Flood Tide: America at Total War in the Pacific, James Hornfischer. As always, awesomely researched and written. Our troops have just taken the Mariana Islands and constructed our bases, just launching against Iwo, and beginning the firebomb campaign against the mainland. Hornfischer’s books are hard to put down.
Captain, Sons of the American Revolution
Old 02-24-2020, 11:30 AM

The greatest generation. Overcame any obstacle or enemy and triumphed.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor View Post
We had an attack force of some 70,000 combined force troops, most Marines. Japan had a defending force of some 22,000 - mostly IJN Marines. Our casualties were 6821 KIA, 19,217 WIA. The IJN casualties were 21,844 KIA, and 216 POWs. Most of the POWs that we’re taken were Korean laborers.
Adm Nimitz said of the battle that “ uncommon valor was a common virtue “. He was right.
I think ALL Marines, not "most"; except for Navy Corpsmen, of course!

Semper fi,
USMC
Old 02-25-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K38 View Post
I think ALL Marines, not "most"; except for Navy Corpsmen, of course!

Semper fi,
USMC
The 70K number, which upon further research is probably closer to 80K, also included AAF and Navy Carrier flight crews who bombed the island in pre-landing “softening up” operations. The units involved were the 3rd, 4th and 5th Marine Div; the 147th Infantry Regiment; 7th AAF; and the US 5th Fleet. Still, the vast majority of those involved, and all of the ground combatants, were Marines, recognizing as you mentioned Navy Corpsmen and Drs in support of FMFs. There’s been some recent research as to whether taking Iwo was really necessary. Reviewing Primary documentation reveals conflicting justification as to why Iwo was so important. But regardless of the revisionist historians or the “arm chair generals”, every man jack that set foot on that hell hole of an island deserves to be counted as a Hero. Every one of them.

A good read on this topic is “Ghost of Iwo Jima” by Robert S. Burrell.

Semper Fi, Shipmate

Last edited by tractor; 02-25-2020 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor View Post
The 70K number, which upon further research is probably closer to 80K, also included AAF and Navy Carrier flight crews who bombed the island in pre-landing “softening up” operations. The units involved were the 3rd, 4th and 5th Marine Div; the 147th Infantry Regiment; 7th AAF; and the US 5th Fleet. Still, the vast majority of those involved, and all of the ground combatants, were Marines, recognizing as you mentioned Navy Corpsmen and Drs in support of FMFs. There’s been some recent research as to whether taking Iwo was really necessary. Reviewing Primary documentation reveals conflicting justification as to why Iwo was so important. But regardless of the revisionist historians or the “arm chair generals”, every man jack that set foot on that hell hole of an island deserves to be counted as a Hero. Every one of them.

A good read on this topic is “Ghost of Iwo Jima” by Robert S. Burrell.

Semper Fi, Shipmate
That’s for damn sure!

Rick
http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/
IDPA Certified Safety Officer
Old 02-27-2020, 11:00 AM

https://www.nysun.com/opinion/rethin...ma-myth/10446/

Guy Noir, private eye.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:41 AM

Those photographs are incredible...... Thank God for the Marine Corps!
Old 02-27-2020, 08:45 PM

And then, I think of what passes for "men" now.

How did we fall so hard so fast?

The same way the 13 Colonies are all blue now?

I can't even imagine. My uncles on mom's side, all four were WWII. Some talked. Most didn't.

My best friend? HIs grampa was a BAR guy island hopping in the Pacific. He *never* talked. His face would change, when asked.

Greatest Generation, indeed.

This ex- USAF guy tips his at at them, and even though it's not my motto... Semper Fi.
-----------------^--------------
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, FL Carry
Old 02-28-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
My Grandmother may have made some of that ordnance. She worked as a civilian at the Arsenal in Pine Bluff, Ar. during the war. I wish I knew more about what She did but like the men who served She did not want to talk about it.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:26 AM

Iwo Jima Amphibious Epic by Lt.Col Whitman S. Bartley is a USMC Historical Monograph. The best book I've ever read on Iwo Jima. Day to day operational study I can't recommend it enough. There aren't many of these heroes left.