The perfect companion to my 1911 .45 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-05-2020, 11:56 PM

The perfect companion to my 1911 .45

I pick it up tomorrow...a 1944 Underwood M1 Carbine. I didn't realize how much I didn't know until after I bought. During the 10 day waiting period I've been doing a lot of reading. I am amazed at how many spare parts are available. NOS barrels, or very very good ones, bolts, trigger groups, pins, springs, stocks, etc. I could easily have built my own off of ebay. I'll find out how original mine is when I get to sit it down next to the books that document the entire production period. It has been refinished so it is not a "collector" grade weapon. And because you can mix and match parts, I'm more interests in having the most reliable and usable shooter. Still, keeping all the parts as close to "Underwood" as possible is also a goal. I'm not going to worry about negative opinions...this will be my gun, and it will be kept to my standards. I also found several magazines and I now have five, some new and some vintage. I'll work them all and see which the gun likes best. Also have a 4 mag pouch, and a 2 mag butt pouch...so I think 60 rounds ready to go will be good enough for home defense, and for the range. In the process I came across a drum mag pouch...which I am using as an over the shoulder carrier for my 1911 mags...it will easily hold 15. I used it tonight in a dry fire reloading exercise. Not as quick as a belted mag pouch but if I decide I need a couple of those, they are easy to pick up. But this gives me a high ammo capacity that is easy to carry. What I also like about the Carbine is how easy it is to strip and clean. All in all, a perfect companion to my pistols. Just as God and the US Army intended. I'll give a range report and pictures as soon as I can.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:12 AM

Last edited by Flight Medic; 02-06-2020 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:49 AM

Nice score John!

Lots of M-1 carbine fans here. I have two of them myself. You should know about Fulton Armory. They are the go to people for M-1 carbines. Additionally they provide excellent refurbishment services for them if you want to go that way. They can rebarrell your gun for you if you need that as well.

Waiting on pictures.

https://www.fulton-armory.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2020, 10:11 AM

Congrats! Everyone should should have at least one. It's among the most versatile of do-hickeys out there.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:25 AM

The perfect companion to my Colt .45 is a Tommy Gun.

Old 02-06-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
The perfect companion to my Colt .45 is a Tommy Gun.
Tough, very tough, to argue with that one!!!!!!!! But a Carbine is an nice add-on as well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3376_zpszixtr5ss.jpg  
Old 02-06-2020, 12:25 PM

One I wish I had gotten years ago, I rarely see them now.
Congrats on your purchase, as USMM guy said, waiting on pictures!
Old 02-06-2020, 01:46 PM

Just bought another drum pouch...this one a reproduction, the first was USMC vintage. I was so impressed with how the pouch worked with my 1911 mags that I bought this second one for my M1 mags. The smaller pouches are a nice vintage look, but this drum pouches are great for just loading up for the range. Or for carrying additional boxes of ammo. Wearing them crisscross gives nice balance and easy access.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnireland View Post
Just bought another drum pouch...this one a reproduction, the first was USMC vintage. I was so impressed with how the pouch worked with my 1911 mags that I bought this second one for my M1 mags. The smaller pouches are a nice vintage look, but this drum pouches are great for just loading up for the range. Or for carrying additional boxes of ammo. Wearing them crisscross gives nice balance and easy access.

How about a few pics?
Old 02-06-2020, 04:25 PM

I'm just not a fan of the M1/M2 Carbines.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:14 PM
Administrator

My 1911s have lots of long gun companions...

Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:05 PM

^^^^

Outstanding pix, dsk. Thx for posting.
Agent Orange---the gift that keeps on giving.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:10 AM

Pix will follow but I finally got it to the range yesterday. I only worked at 50 yards, trying to zero in the sights...and myself. I hadn't fired a rifle since 1964 in basic training. The trouble with the outdoor range is that you have to wait for a cease fire before you can walk out to your targets and see how you did. I'm shooting consistently low and right. On the positive side, I could cover all my shots on the targets with one hand. Later that night I found my windage adjustment was a notch to the left, and my elevation was not aligned properly. Typical newbe mistakes. But I think I also need to work on breathing and trigger pull. And I may take the ammo pouch off the stock, it is right where I want to put my cheek. I'm going to try an indoor range this week that might allow a small size round in a long gun...only 25 yards but I can have more frequent access to the targets...and I can make target size do the work of distance, at least for this tuning period. The gun never missed a beat...fed the Hornady Critical Defense and PPU (Serbian) ball ammo through 6 different magazines without a hiccup. And yes, pictures to follow.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:34 AM

As a mighty proud owner of a CMP Garand I too am a member of the walnut and steel fan club. lol Congrats on the carbine and many happy years of shooting to ya'.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-17-2020, 09:24 AM

CONGRATULATIONS, An acquaintance had a ROCKOLA in a paratroop folding stock that was an absolute perfect replica of an original (I thought it was original) Seems to me that one of those might be a great replacement for a refinished stock - but I find folding stocks to be very practical anyway.

My father had an INLAND he purchased through the civilian marksmanship program back in the late 1950's when they were very cheap to buy. I was young then - & remember I really enjoyed shooting it.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:50 AM

I've thought I'd like to have a M1 carbine. Never acted on it though. I'll bet they are fun!
Old 02-18-2020, 06:30 PM

finally the pictures...

...a 1944 Underwood...serial number 6,14x,xxx...so before the war ended but who knows if it saw any action. Perhaps it made it to Korea or was issued to occupying forces in Germany or Japan. The prior owner restored the stock with varnish...lost all its ID markings...but I bought it to be a shooter, so I really don't car. And shoot it does. Can't wait to get back to the range.
Attached Thumbnails
m1 3.jpg   m1 2.jpg   m1 1.jpg  
Old 02-18-2020, 06:36 PM

Nice John!

And it looks like they did a pretty good refinish job on the stock. My two M-1 carbines are not going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:53 PM

Well I don't own a m1 but I did drive past the "new" inland factory in Dayton OH today.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:02 PM

Thanks for the pics John, nice little rifle, I hope to get me one of those, a Garand, or M1a at some point.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny handgun View Post
Thanks for the pics John, nice little rifle, I hope to get me one of those, a Garand, or M1a at some point.
Garands are great. But the M1 carbine is half the weight...I'm going to see if I can get my doctor to prescribe it as an "assisted walking device" and maybe Medicare will pay for it.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:02 PM

Oh yeah!

Sure hoping to see photos of yours soon johnireland.

Carbines go well with 1911s. Carbines are appropriate companions for several different ol' Army buddies that could be mentioned.

These three have one thing in common. They were all produced by companies that made typewriters.

Old 02-18-2020, 11:02 PM

double post

Last edited by bmcgilvray; 02-19-2020 at 10:26 PM. Reason: double post
Old 02-18-2020, 11:19 PM

I always thought the perfect companion for my .45s was ME and my OTHER .45s
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:28 PM

A perfect companion to my norinco 1911 is my norinco m14s

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......