Discovered something about my ECO - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-14-2020, 10:17 PM

Discovered something about my ECO

I have been doing a good bit of shooting recently (a league at my local range, and shooter development classes in conjunction with the league), and have bee shooting my 9mm Valkyrie. I purposely let it go since the start of the league and have put around 700 downrange without oiling or cleaning.....still running like a champ.

I took a class this past two days (unsighted shooting, speed shooting, and shoot/no shoot scenarios). I decided to use my 9mm ECO for the class to challenge myself a little with the shorter barrel. This gun had maybe 400 downrange before the class. In the past two days, it has seen in excess of 600. After about 400, it started stovepiping spent cases occasionally and got worse as I continued. During a break, I broke it down and liberally applied some Remoil...issues solved, she ran like a champ again......Note to self, run the ECO wet......

Also, this course contained a LOT of holster work, and the safety on this gun is STIFF....I don't have a lot of strength in my hands anymore, and found that I had to use my left thumb to put the safety on....It IS starting to loosen up a bit, and I am hoping it will loosen to the point that I can set it with my right thumb.....at this point, I can about 30% of the time.....

YMMV

Lon
Old 02-15-2020, 05:47 AM

Cut a coil off the plunger spring.

By the way Rem Oil is not a good substitute for a good lube.

Bob
Old 02-15-2020, 08:12 AM

Would you run your car/truck low on oil until you notice a problem? I don’t understand your logic for running your gun dry.

As for the thumb safety, the Detent hole where the plunger rides needs a slight ramp to lead the plunger in an out of the hole. Use a jewelers file or carefully using a dremel tool to relieve edge for the plunger.

NRA Life-Benefactor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
In the past two days, it has seen in excess of 600. After about 400, it started stovepiping...
Instances such as this are why 1911's get a bad rep from shooting school instructors. When I went to Gunsite, I would clean and lube my gun every evening. I would also remove the extractor and clean the extractor channel and the firing pin channel with a pipe cleaner. I'm always amazed at how much residue I remove from the extractor channel. Can't really understand why guys like Bill Wilson don't advocate cleaning the extractor channel every time they clean their pistol.

When you carry, you should carry a lubed clean firearm, it increases the reliability if you should ever be involved in a critical encounter. Every mechanical device will eventually malfunction if it is not properly maintained. I fail to understand what people are trying to prove by not performing regular maintenance on their firearms. Even if I was at war, I would inspect, clean, and lube my firearm before venturing out. As John Wayne once opined: " Life is tough, life is tougher if you're stupid".

Last edited by vortec; 02-15-2020 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:19 PM

Treating a DW this way is not worth a comment.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:34 PM

Breaking down a 1911 and running a few oiled patches down the barrel and providing a basic rub down and re-oil takes 5 minutes, it takes longer to pee, there's no excuse for a dirty, dry gun --even at a class
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: Benchmark Precision bobtail, Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, WC EDC X9S, NH T4, NH Counselor, Staccato C and a G43 -- 38 Super's: GI Government, WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, WC Sentinel Compact and a mid 70's Colt Commander (for a build, off to NH already)
Old 02-15-2020, 06:02 PM

Besides all the comments about lube/dirty gun, how did the ECO work out for you with the shorter barrel? How was the accuracy compared to the Valkyrie?
Old 02-15-2020, 08:06 PM

I still can't engage the safety on my Sig 938 after 4 years using my right thumb. But it comes OFF with the right thumb, and that's what counts.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiresguy View Post
Besides all the comments about lube/dirty gun, how did the ECO work out for you with the shorter barrel? How was the accuracy compared to the Valkyrie?
Worked great, the course was centered on non sighted shooting and shoot/don't shoot scenarios at 21 feet or less.....The ECO made it easy to put two in the snot locker almost every time.....and I normally use fp10, but all they had available was CLP and Remoil.....

Lon
Old 02-16-2020, 08:54 AM

I run all my pistols WET. Always. On all my 1911/2011 pistols, I also put a drop of oil on the barrel hood at the range before shooting.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrish View Post
I run all my pistols WET. Always. On all my 1911/2011 pistols, I also put a drop of oil on the barrel hood at the range before shooting.
This ^^^^^^

Today is gun cleaning day for me. I have some from my last range trip to break down and clean as well as going ahead and breaking down & lubing my carry gun from this past two weeks + the nightstand pistol....and the chair side pistol......and the kitchen pistol.....