DW, NHC, LB, WC, or EB? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-24-2019, 06:16 PM
sothoth sothoth is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 72
DW, NHC, LB, WC, or EB?

Some time ago I decided that when I could afford it Iíd get a higher end 1911 than the old SA Mil Spec I had and sold. Although I liked the looks and history behind the 1911, the lower end pistol didnít work well for me.

I think the DW is the best production 1911 out there and would consider that or any of the custom makers I know about. Any recommendations? Iíve rented an NHC and WC and LB. Iím also in CA so I have to get a CA compliant model.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-24-2019, 06:28 PM
Dddrees Dddrees is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2,085
Doubtfull that you could really make a mistake with either one, that is as long as you chose the one that appeals to you most. I would also include Ed Brown, Alchemy, and Volkman as potential options if I were you as well and do a bit of research and looking around.

Personally I went with one DW Valor first, but it's been 4 Wilson Combats since. For me somehow Wilson Combat was a more solid choice when comparing other semi custom options. I'm currently considering an Alchemy as my next one but have yet to make up my mind yet.

Last edited by Dddrees; 12-24-2019 at 06:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-24-2019, 06:41 PM
sothoth sothoth is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 72
I think there are a few customs that you canít buy in CA, including Alchemy and Volkman unfortunately. Bummer to live here, eh?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 12-24-2019, 06:44 PM
Akbowman Akbowman is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Alaska
Posts: 174
Don’t overlook Guncrafter! Fantastic pistols
__________________
Criminals prefer unarmed victims. Dictators prefer unarmed citizens. Member-NRA, GOA, FNRA, FPC, SAF, NAGR, and USN vet.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-24-2019, 06:44 PM
Dddrees Dddrees is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by sothoth View Post
I think there are a few customs that you canít buy in CA, including Alchemy and Volkman unfortunately. Bummer to live here, eh?
That very well may be the case. In fact I thought that might be the case after I wrote that, but not knowing I still figure they are worth mentioning just in case.

Good Luck with your hunt.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-24-2019, 07:38 PM
Striker2237 Striker2237 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 6,997
What is the goal? I own all but DW and have shot a of them quite a lot and WC is the most reliable and hard use and Brown if you get a full size gun ties them but has the advantage for pure accuracy due to better triggers featuring a rolling break. Features and configurations on a Brown are extremely limited though and don't really offer imo good options in less than full-size guns. Wilson offers the best batch of options and even in Cali once you buy you can send it back for whatever features you like.

NHC is exquisitely well made but there is a high amount of variance gun to gun and some things on one particular gun can be done literally perfectly but another area k mine same gun can be worse than a production gun. They have the best triggers by far, feel a full pound lighter than they actually are and perfectly crisp, the blend and finish on the guns is superb and they use unique frame contours that visually flow very well. They are my fanciest guns that I have people handle to experience a top grade 1911 since the smoothness and tightness is impressive even for people who are used to $3500+ guns. However, even with how nice they are they simply do not come close to the unflinching reliability, durability, and willingness to take extreme use like a Wilson.
__________________
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-24-2019, 07:43 PM
jtq jtq is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NW Florida
Age: 61
Posts: 11,292
I don't have any first hand experience with any of them, but from my forum time and their web information, the company I'd like to do business with is Wilson Combat. The 1911, feature-wise, I'd like to own is an Ed Brown.

I'd probably choose the Wilson as I'd probably value the after sale care over a feature set. At least today.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-24-2019, 07:48 PM
sothoth sothoth is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
I don't have any first hand experience with any of them, but from my forum time and their web information, the company I'd like to do business with is Wilson Combat. The 1911, feature-wise, I'd like to own is an Ed Brown.



I'd probably choose the Wilson as I'd probably value the after sale care over a feature set. At least today.


What features do you like on the EB?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-24-2019, 08:12 PM
jtq jtq is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NW Florida
Age: 61
Posts: 11,292
My primary preference between the two is with sights. I prefer the sight options on the Ed Brown's. I'm not sold on the Wilson Battlesight.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-25-2019, 08:09 AM
ken y ken y is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
What is the goal? I own all but DW and have shot a of them quite a lot and WC is the most reliable and hard use and Brown if you get a full size gun ties them but has the advantage for pure accuracy due to better triggers featuring a rolling break. Features and configurations on a Brown are extremely limited though and don't really offer imo good options in less than full-size guns. Wilson offers the best batch of options and even in Cali once you buy you can send it back for whatever features you like.

NHC is exquisitely well made but there is a high amount of variance gun to gun and some things on one particular gun can be done literally perfectly but another area k mine same gun can be worse than a production gun.
Code:
They have the best triggers by far, feel a full pound lighter than they actually are
and perfectly crisp, the blend and finish on the guns is superb and they use unique frame contours that visually flow very well. They are my fanciest guns that I have people handle to experience a top grade 1911 since the smoothness and tightness is impressive even for people who are used to $3500+ guns. However, even with how nice they are they simply do not come close to the unflinching reliability, durability, and willingness to take extreme use like a Wilson.
I never heard this before. Anybody else that has experienced this? Love a great trigger.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-25-2019, 08:27 AM
4110mm 4110mm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 171
Only familiar w LB and DW.

I owned 2 LB and now only 1. I am buying more DW as they come along at the LGS I go to. Love them and that is my favorite 1911. Got hooked on 9mm 1911s to for comp, tac training, steel etc. Just something magic about it. I end up not shooting my 45s much any more for the time being.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-25-2019, 09:17 AM
Piexcel Piexcel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth
Posts: 3,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by sothoth View Post
Any recommendations? I’ve rented an NHC and WC and LB...
I own a Les Baer Monolith Heavyweight in 45 and have problems with the slide stop/release. That part is a cast part on LB, and mine has broke twice. First time it broke I sent the broken part back to LB and received a replacement. I didn't send the gun back, but now think that I should've. The replacement part didn't fit right and caused slight binding when the slide retracts rearward. Then the slide stop/release broke a second time. The second time it broke I took the gun to a local pistolsmith to fix (still waiting on him). The part would break around the 2000-round mark. I wrote about my issues in a thread posted in the Les Baer subforum. Here's the link: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=997640.

For a $2K+ pistol I expect better. I'm not buying anything else from LB and recommend to my friends to consider other options when buying semi-custom 1911 pistols.

Last edited by Piexcel; 12-25-2019 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Added link to my original LB thread
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-25-2019, 09:26 AM
sothoth sothoth is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piexcel View Post
I own a Les Baer Monolith Heavyweight in 45 and have problems with the slide stop/release. That part is a cast part on LB, and mine has broke twice. First time it broke I sent the broken part back to LB and received a replacement. I didn't send the gun back, but now think that I should've. The replacement part didn't fit right and caused slight binding when the slide retracts rearward. Then the slide stop/release broke a second time. The second time it broke I took the gun to a local pistolsmith to fix (still waiting on him). The part would break around the 2000-round mark. I wrote about my issues in a thread posted in the Les Baer subforum. Here's the link: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=997640.

For a $2K+ pistol I expect better. I'm not buying anything else from LB and recommend to my friends to consider other options when buying semi-custom 1911 pistols.


That sucks. Hope it gets fixed.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-25-2019, 09:53 AM
Dddrees Dddrees is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2,085
I've read many threads where people have many different experiences and takes on what they are willing to spend. I have even read those threads where they used to buy 1911s from Wilson Combat or Ed Brown and then found a Dan Wilson Valor to be their sweet spot.

Personally I'm one who enjoys the finer details so even if I have to pay a bit more my enjoyment factor is the reason I spend more in the first place or I might have just as well bought an RIA because it goes bang as well.

I'm not just looking for the minimum so as much as function is a priority the finer details when it comes to fit, finish, and options are very important to me.

Only you can determine what's important to you.

Last edited by Dddrees; 12-25-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-25-2019, 11:25 AM
Tarmy Tarmy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kalifornistan
Posts: 324
OP...shoot as many different makes as you can...then determine what gets your rockets fired!

I rented many, shot friends versions of most of what you listed. I had already decided that whatever I bought...I wanted new, good factory/maker service/reputation, I didnít care about resale and I wanted it to shoot well and FEEL right to me.

Wilson Combat FTW!...

I called them a couple times and had great conversations with the good folks there. In fact, they talked me out of my first choice and into what I bought based upon my input to them. It worked out great for me...

Good luck on your search...donít rush...
__________________
Wilson Combat Protector, Springer 9mm Loaded, Fiochi O/U Instinct SL 12GA.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-25-2019, 02:04 PM
fireslayer fireslayer is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piexcel View Post
I own a Les Baer Monolith Heavyweight in 45 and have problems with the slide stop/release. That part is a cast part on LB, and mine has broke twice. First time it broke I sent the broken part back to LB and received a replacement. I didn't send the gun back, but now think that I should've. The replacement part didn't fit right and caused slight binding when the slide retracts rearward. Then the slide stop/release broke a second time. The second time it broke I took the gun to a local pistolsmith to fix (still waiting on him). The part would break around the 2000-round mark. I wrote about my issues in a thread posted in the Les Baer subforum. Here's the link: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=997640.

For a $2K+ pistol I expect better. I'm not buying anything else from LB and recommend to my friends to consider other options when buying semi-custom 1911 pistols.
I agree you probably should have sent the pistol back for it to be correctly fitted, and understand your frustration. As with anything sometimes things fail, but in my experience having 3 Baers with 10ís of thousands of rounds fired they have been amazing.

I also have 2 Wilsonís, and again they have been rock solid. They are very smooth, refined, and accurate. I love them as well.

I donít think anyone could go wrong with any of the semi customs on the market. My only dislike with the Ed Brown in the 9mm and 38 super is that they donít have a supported barrel.

I want an Alchemy Custom next.

Good luck and happy shopping OP.
__________________
I'd rather hunt with Dick Cheney
than ride with Ted Kennedy
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-25-2019, 03:25 PM
sothoth sothoth is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 72
Whatís the takedown like on the WC models that have the coned barrels (the ones w/o the standard barrel bushing takedown)?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-25-2019, 03:39 PM
Striker2237 Striker2237 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 6,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by sothoth View Post
What’s the takedown like on the WC models that have the coned barrels (the ones w/o the standard barrel bushing takedown)?
Stronger, easier to take apart, faster, just as accurate and offer the ability to go longer without maintaining. The bushing can overheat and bind/crack or break vs a bull barrel and for how I require my guns to be able to be run the bushings just don't instill me with confidence
__________________
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-25-2019, 03:54 PM
TRSOtto TRSOtto is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by sothoth View Post
Some time ago I decided that when I could afford it Iíd get a higher end 1911 than the old SA Mil Spec I had and sold. Although I liked the looks and history behind the 1911, the lower end pistol didnít work well for me.

I think the DW is the best production 1911 out there and would consider that or any of the custom makers I know about. Any recommendations? Iíve rented an NHC and WC and LB. Iím also in CA so I have to get a CA compliant model.

Thanks in advance!
I own multiples of all of the brands you've listed. I've not had any issues with any of them, and that includes 6 pistols from Les Baer. If someone put a gun to my head and said "Pick one or else"....it would be an extremely tough call, but ultimately I think I would choose Wilson Combat......ONLY because overall......if you plowed through all of the forums, I think you would find they offer more options and have fewer customer complaints than any other brand.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-25-2019, 04:17 PM
Dddrees Dddrees is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
I own multiples of all of the brands you've listed. I've not had any issues with any of them, and that includes 6 pistols from Les Baer. If someone put a gun to my head and said "Pick one or else"....it would be an extremely tough call, but ultimately I think I would choose Wilson Combat......ONLY because overall......if you plowed through all of the forums, I think you would find they offer more options and have fewer customer complaints than any other brand.
I haven't plowed through everything by no means yet, but to this point the plusses certainly outweigh the minuses from what I have seen when it comes to Wilson Combat at least for me anyway.

I think the biggest complaint when it comes to Wilson so far that I have read is that they are less accommodating than some when it comes to what they are willing to do. That is Nighthawk is much more willing to do one off type items. This tends to be true more for companies that have more time or are just starting out and not so much for more established companies. On the minus side as a newer company it seems their product results maybe much more uneven that what you would expect from a Wilson Combat. Myself I tend to like predictability when it comes to my expectations.

I have seen people claiming they have heard of more problems with Wilson Combat guns but have yet to find the actual threads from the people who have had these problems. I find that interesting, but not that meaningful.

Last edited by Dddrees; 12-25-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-25-2019, 04:22 PM
Dddrees Dddrees is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2,085
Personally when paying almost 2k or more I appreciate a lifetime warranty where Dan Wesson only provides you with 5 year warranty. Also there are enough complaints of galling which doesn't occur with all but at least a few of their Stainless models in conjunction with at times not stellar customer service which would keep me from ever buying one of their stainless versions. Their customer service does appear to be uneven at best. Some experiencing good and others not so good. This however does seem to be a very strong point for Wilson Combat.

Last edited by Dddrees; 12-25-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-25-2019, 05:23 PM
Striker2237 Striker2237 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 6,997
Wilson refit my shot out gun for free for me and did a bunch of extra work that I didn't even ask for and a full refinish. They will always ensure a gun with their name in on it works, period.
__________________
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-25-2019, 06:03 PM
sothoth sothoth is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Stronger, easier to take apart, faster, just as accurate and offer the ability to go longer without maintaining. The bushing can overheat and bind/crack or break vs a bull barrel and for how I require my guns to be able to be run the bushings just don't instill me with confidence


Thanks for that. I donít like bushings anyway so that is great.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-25-2019, 06:06 PM
shooter59 shooter59 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Rocky mountain area
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Wilson refit my shot out gun for free for me and did a bunch of extra work that I didn't even ask for and a full refinish. They will always ensure a gun with their name in on it works, period.
This!^
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-25-2019, 06:11 PM
AZ Desertrat AZ Desertrat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 2,410
I would not hesitate on any....but best buy for the buck is Dan Wesson
__________________
USCG Veteran
Semper Paratus
NRA Benefactor Member
Philippians 4:13
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 PM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved