1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-26-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Burke View Post
I'm against that, too, but I wouldn't ban it.

I thought maybe the sign meant that they didn't have a 1911 and that they were appealing to our sympathy.
Agent Orange---the gift that keeps on giving.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:34 AM

What sign?
Old 11-26-2019, 08:57 AM

For some reason, I always get distracted right as I enter an establishment and therefore have never noticed such signs. I've yet to have a store owner detect the unnoticeable print of my pistol and ask me to leave.

My own version of "Don't ask, don't tell".
Old 11-26-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1racefan View Post
For some reason, I always get distracted right as I enter an establishment and therefore have never noticed such signs. I've yet to have a store owner detect the unnoticeable print of my pistol and ask me to leave.

My own version of "Don't ask, don't tell".
Yep.
Agent Orange---the gift that keeps on giving.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:45 AM

The nursing home where my mother resides put up a new "No Weapons Allowed on Premises" sign by the front entrance last week. Okay.

I guess they forget who is paying the bills there. Not to mention this is Indiana.

I went ahead in, so did my gun.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:31 PM

This sign is posted in my local mall except it clearly has a beretta 92 on it. My girlfriend is prolly tired of me saying " good thing I dont have a beretta" every time we go.
In ND the signs are not enforceable.
And malls are a place where an active shooter or other nut job may target.
I Think I'll just continue to protect myself since i don't expect mall security to be able to save me.
Worst case scenario, i get asked to leave and dont ever have to pay mall prices any more.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megafiddle View Post
While I don't agree with many business's policies of prohibiting guns on their premises, I have to respect their right to do so.
They have no right to do so. More than half a century of civil rights law says businesses can't turn away customers because they're black, Jewish, or female... the Bill of Rights is all one piece; the Second Amendment is just as valid as the rest.

When you buy a business license and open your door to the public, you no longer have the right to discriminate against people on your property.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRX302 View Post
They have no right to do so. More than half a century of civil rights law says businesses can't turn away customers because they're black, Jewish, or female... the Bill of Rights is all one piece; the Second Amendment is just as valid as the rest.

When you buy a business license and open your door to the public, you no longer have the right to discriminate against people on your property.
It depends where you live. They may have a legal right to prohibit guns, and it may be enforceable.

Some examples:

https://dailycaller.com/2016/08/20/c...no-guns-signs/

The public space in a privately owned business is not the same as the public space on a street.

-

Last edited by megafiddle; 11-26-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megafiddle View Post
It depends where you live. They may have a legal right to prohibit guns, and it may be enforceable.

Some examples:

https://dailycaller.com/2016/08/20/c...no-guns-signs/

The public space in a privately owned business is not the same as the public space on a street.

-
These aspects of the concealed carry laws need to be litigated. The government passing a law allowing private entities to disarm people enforceable by law can easily be construed as the government violating citizens second amendment rights.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDCountryboy View Post
This sign is posted in my local mall except it clearly has a beretta 92 on it. My girlfriend is prolly tired of me saying " good thing I dont have a beretta" every time we go.
In ND the signs are not enforceable.
And malls are a place where an active shooter or other nut job may target.
I Think I'll just continue to protect myself since i don't expect mall security to be able to save me.
Worst case scenario, i get asked to leave and dont ever have to pay mall prices any more.
That’s a good point. What’s the penalty? Being asked to leave? Not exactly going to ruin my day. Mall administrators should be more concerned with trying to keep business than chase it away with Amazon pounding on them. Hey, how about more sporting goods stores with guns in them at the mall? That is where every husband would be when the wives were shopping for shoes. A nice Irish pub next door down and a leather shop after that. I have just solved the shrinking mall problem.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
That’s a good point. What’s the penalty? Being asked to leave? Not exactly going to ruin my day. Mall administrators should be more concerned with trying to keep business than chase it away with Amazon pounding on them. Hey, how about more sporting goods stores with guns in them at the mall? That is where every husband would be when the wives were shopping for shoes. A nice Irish pub next door down and a leather shop after that. I have just solved the shrinking mall problem.
In Illinois, the sign is enforceable by law. You can be charged with trespassing and will likely lose your CCL. This is why I said earlier that this aspect of concealed carry laws must be litigated, because it is certainly the government taking away your 2A rights.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:35 PM

I don't discriminate (except against Tupperware), nor do I allow others to discriminate, which means I ignore such signs.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 11-27-2019, 05:22 PM

I read that sign as “No Open Carry”. So to me, I can carry concealed in that business. If the firearm is well concealed, the business would never know. Think carrying at Starbucks.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 11-28-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderboss1 View Post
In Illinois, the sign is enforceable by law. You can be charged with trespassing and will likely lose your CCL. This is why I said earlier that this aspect of concealed carry laws must be litigated, because it is certainly the government taking away your 2A rights.
Yeah well, in Illinois you have to get a building permit to change out a kitchen faucet too. Life is full of choices......some save your life, others cost you money.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
I was also able to go into many places with my Rottweiler since the "No Dogs" signs only prohibited dogs with tails.
Good idea!! My local, family-owned grocery store has a No Dogs sign with a picture of what can only be a black Standard Poodle. Next time I'm in, I'm going to ask the owner why he discriminates against my black, 50#, female, Standard Poodle (little girl); but, apparently, has no problem with my bringing in my male, 97#, 1/2 Newfoundland-1/2 GSP (big dude).
Old 11-28-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faawrenchbender View Post
Most all around here are Beretta haters
I'm NOT!
Old 11-29-2019, 09:35 AM

In this day and age, it amazes me at how “righteous” people feel they need to be. Alienating any part of the market share is a stupid business practice for a store owner. Guns are not a threat. With that said, a “No Dogs” sign for a fine crystal shop is perfectly warranted for obvious reasons. It wouldn’t bother me a bit either if it said no brats under 12, but you’d probably get sued by the soccer mom association.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:03 PM

double posting
Old 12-02-2019, 07:00 AM

I wonder what would happen if you put signs up at a gas station that said “No Prius”? It’s the same thing!
Old 12-02-2019, 01:07 PM

The office building where I work has similar signs posted at the entrances. The image on the sign is not just a generic handgun, but a very detailed drawing of a 1911. I've often thought to myself, "No 1911's allowed" as I enter the building.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:13 PM

Too funny.. I do like businesses posting signs though since it tells me which businesses I will and won't patronize! Vote with your dollars!
Captain, Sons of the American Revolution
Old 12-11-2019, 03:35 PM

Before my employer put up valid 30.06 and 30.07 signs all thye had was some no "Beretta 92" and no "revolver" signs.