Remington Lawsuit - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-12-2019, 10:12 AM

Remington Lawsuit

It looks like the Supreme Court says Remington can be sued over Sandy Hook.

I am considering buying a couple of their products including a 1911.

Who is with me?

I personally don't care if they are poorly made or a series 80 design.

I will buy something from them!
Old 11-12-2019, 10:33 AM

That was the Connecticut Supreme Court. It will not get thru the US Supreme Court IMHO. If it did every car and motorcycle company would be out of buiseness in a year. We will see I guess.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:34 AM

Supreme Court will allow Sandy Hook families to move forward in suit against gunmaker

Wonder if Remington will appeal to the US Supreme Court.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/12/supr...gton-guns.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2019, 10:36 AM

Wow I stand corrected. The SCOTUS shot the appeal down.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:51 AM

The Arms law was specifically passed because of the attempt to bankrupt manufacturers through lawsuits for everything.

Granted, they are just allowing the case to go to discovery, so they will need to then show that it fits into the exemption of the Arms law. I cant' see any way it could prove they targeted school shooters or something equally silly like that, and I'm not familiar with any video game having Bushmaster rifles at the time, at Bushmasters request?

So it's just going to mean money wasted by Remington, as most of the lawsuits are intended to do.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:09 AM

This WAS the U.S. Supreme Court. There is no where else to appeal it to.

Life Member: NRA (Benefactor), GOA, SAF, CCRKBA, USPSA, SCSA, ICORE, GSSF, NAGR, Coalition of NJ Firearms Owners, NJ 2nd Amendment Society * Annual Member: FPC, IALEFI, ILEETA
Alumni: Gunsite, LFI, ASAA
Old 11-12-2019, 11:10 AM

So not good
Old 11-12-2019, 11:29 AM

Not only does this present a huge threat to firearms manufacturers, but the precedent this establishes can have some absolutely huge unintended consequences.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:41 AM

Maybe not.

It was allowed under a pretty narrow ruling. This being that an improper marketing strategy was used. That marketing was directed towards young people to be inclusive of even a video game. We will of course see going forward.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:07 PM

On the face of it, this lawsuit is patently ridiculous. The exemption to the firearms manufacturers' protection law is for advertising the product to be used for, or useful for, illegal activities. I probably have not seen every Remington advertisement ever made, but I have never seen one saying "Remington: The gun of choice for school shooters" or "When you're thinking about committing a shopping mall massacre, think Remington."

Remington ads, for their "tactical" firearms, have always been focused on self & third-party defense, survival, and law enforcement utility.

Even if Remington WAS marketing their rifles for illegal uses, it wouldn't come into play in this case. The shooter didn't see a Remington ad and say, "Gee, that's the ticket. I need to go out and buy a Remington to use for my school massacre." He broke into his mother's gun safe and stole the rifle! How on earth any court could entertain, let alone allow, an "improper marketing" argument in this case completely boggles my mind.

Life Member: NRA (Benefactor), GOA, SAF, CCRKBA, USPSA, SCSA, ICORE, GSSF, NAGR, Coalition of NJ Firearms Owners, NJ 2nd Amendment Society * Annual Member: FPC, IALEFI, ILEETA
Alumni: Gunsite, LFI, ASAA
Old 11-12-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
It was allowed under a pretty narrow ruling. This being that an improper marketing strategy was used. That marketing was directed towards young people to be inclusive of even a video game. We will of course see going forward.
They claim that Remington marketed the weapon “as a highly lethal weapon designed for purposes that are illegal — namely, killing other human beings.”

Well that isn't true either if the killing of other humans qualifies as legal self defense. If the case proceeds under a Lefty Obama type judge or a jury of liberal morons, they won't care about narrowness or the wording of the ruling. All they want is an opening and this might be it. Once again, another opportunity for a renegade judiciary to negate the law. This is how they do it.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:38 PM

Ridiculous. Of all the 2A issues scotus could take up. I hope it fails miserably.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:41 PM

The attorneys are just using them hoping for a class action afterwards that makes them billions.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:45 PM
Adminstrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotaz View Post
the attorneys are just using them hoping for a class action afterwards that makes them billions.
100%
Old 11-12-2019, 12:52 PM

This is a very narrow marketing lawsuit only that just happens to involve firearms. The SCOTUS was right to deny, but sadly the left will both see and spin it as supporting their anti 2A position. We need to remind people this is theatre and not the destruction and impending doom the anti's are claming.

Last edited by goaround28; 11-12-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:53 PM

I guess it shouldn't but it escapes me how if you run down a little old lady in a crosswalk, it's your fault. A criminal guns down an innocent person & it's the guns & uninvolved gun owners fault?
Old 11-12-2019, 12:55 PM

Dodge markets their Demon as the bad'est production car on the road. So if an idiot driver gets one by legal or illegal means and kills 10 people, victims can sue Dodge?

Seems like no maker of anything can market their stuff as "the best" any longer.

Makes no sense. Not sure SCOTUS is all good.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:59 PM
Adminstrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_Kid View Post
Dodge markets their Demon as the bad'est production car on the road. So if an idiot driver gets one by legal or illegal means and kills 10 people, victims can sue Dodge?

Seems like no maker of anything can market their stuff as "the best" any longer.

Makes no sense. Not sure SCOTUS is all good.
Gee, what was your first clue?
Old 11-12-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:

I hear ya. But this is where we have to educate the left. The Remingtong suit isn't that broad. If Dodge marketed the Demon in the same way that the Plaintifs are saying Remington did with their guns, then Dodge could be in the same position.

Now, no one in their right mind can think that the POS who shot up the school did so based on Remington's advertising. But that's all the left has because of the wide 2005 Federal protection already in place.

Had the SCOTUS granted, the theatre of spin would have only been bigger than it is now.

Quote:

And that's the unfortunate part!
Old 11-12-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rliebeck View Post
This WAS the U.S. Supreme Court. There is no where else to appeal it to.
Right on. Read it incorrectly. However, after the State Court gets done, it can then be appealed back to the USSC. Could take years.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
The attorneys are just using them hoping for a class action afterwards that makes them billions.
Right. These blood suckers couldn’t give a rats azz about the families.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
Right. These blood suckers couldn’t give a rats azz about the families.
Most of the family members only care about the money and trying to punish the gun manufacturer. These are people who fight against arming teachers and administrators.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT77 View Post
Most of the family members only care about the money and trying to punish the gun manufacturer. These are people who fight against arming teachers and administrators.

I don’t know. I try to put myself in their shoes and figure it sounds good to punish anyone you can pin responsibility on. Not saying I would, but I can imagine it.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:33 PM

Its tyranny. This is merely the stepping stone for the rest of the sheep to follow suit in bypassing the 2A. Another blow to liberty, another nail in the coffin for our dying republic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2019, 02:37 PM

I see this more as a back door way to destroy the Second Amendment. It would be interesting to learn who actually is paying the bill (behind the scenes) for the lawyers. I'll bet its one of the Soros/Bloomberg organizations.