Stainless SA TRP - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-13-2019, 05:43 AM

Stainless SA TRP

I know. I shoulda got one of these a long time ago. The TRP was always on a back burner but, the way I go thru 'phases' with handguns, another full-size 1911 wasn't on the immediate horizon.

But something I learned along the way is that there are two different models of TRP's. The standard TRP (no rail) and the TRP Operator (rail). Both have Tritium night sights. The TRP has fixed Novak combat sights, and the TRP Operator has a fully adjustable rear sight. Both have similar G-10 grips and 5" match grade stainless steel barrels. The TRP weighs 42 oz., while the TRP Operator weighs 45 oz. The standard TRP has a two-piece guide rod, while the TRP Operator has a one-piece guide rod. Otherwise, there are very few differences at all between the two guns. The barrel on the TRP Operator is a heavier bull barrel, as opposed to a standard diameter barrel on the TRP.

Geco factory ammunition always seems to perform well in my other 1911's and the stainless TRP is no exception. I shoot more accurately at 10 yards than 7 (which is weird, I know) but the front sights just line-up better on the target's red dot for me at that distance. The trigger is neither alarmingly light nor overly heavy. I guesstimate it was somewhere in the 4.5-5 lbs. range brand new. 500 rounds later, though, it seems a lot better. The grittiness is gone. It's about as light as I would personally want on a duty gun but that's just a personal preference.

The first 25! 10 yards, Geco 230gr FMJ

One of the things I enjoy doing with any new handgun is seeing how many out of 25 I can land within the X ring @ 7 yards. Some days are definitely better than others!

25 rounds, 7 yards, S&B 230gr FMJ

What else have I learned from the TRP? Well, I thought the front strap checkering on the frame would be more abrasive than it is. Feels good! My shooting hand was no worse for the wear after 100 rounds of factory FMJ and 7 Federal Hydrashok 230gr +P tested for functionality and POI.

The TRP is one of the tightest-fitting 1911's I've ever owned. No rattles, no looseness whatsoever, yet, the slide cycles smooth, almost like it was custom-fitted. I know that SA quality control is hit-and-miss but it appears that I got a pretty good one.

Old 10-20-2019, 02:24 PM

Very nice ..she's a beauty ....nice shooting too
Old 10-20-2019, 06:12 PM

Nice looking gun.
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2019, 06:28 PM

Nice.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:37 PM

Never much of a stainless fan but that is sharp! May change my mind..
Old 10-21-2019, 04:49 AM

Thanks everyone! It's a keeper, for sure!
Old 11-07-2019, 06:53 AM

I have always liked stainless steel guns. Yours is very attractive. Enjoy!
Old 11-07-2019, 07:41 AM

I've had a stainless TRP for awhile now and it is my duty, off-duty, go to for everything gun. Read somewhere that TRP stands for "The Right Pistol" and mine surely is for me!
Old 11-07-2019, 07:44 PM

Very sweet pistola.

I have been very pleased with my AK TRP these last few years. I've always liked the looks of the stainless models a great deal, too.