Yearly shooting costs? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-04-2019, 08:43 AM

Yearly shooting costs?

In another thread there was a mention of shooting 600 rounds a week in practice.

And some folks claim round counts of 30-40K on their guns.

I don't do anywhere near those numbers, But yes, I'm a cheapskate!

But even with savings from reloading, this probably adds up to a fat stack of dough.

I'm curious if any of the very dedicated shooters here have totaled up their average yearly gun/range/ammo/repairs costs.

I haven't kept track for myself but it's probably about $400-$500 annually for personal practice costs.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:57 AM

I started to once & stopped! I shoot between 1,000-1,500 a week and I reload. I started reloading for both the savings and due to the stupid People’s Republic laws but I quickly found out reloading .45 doesn’t save much & you tend to shoot a lot more when you reload so any savings you might have go out the window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-04-2019, 09:23 AM

simonp67 ------- If you can reload for 15 Cents a round, that's $900 / Mo. or $10,800 a year in ammo.

I think that you can get Wolf factory .45 ACP at about .24 per round. Or $1,440 per month, or $17,280 per year in ammo costs. If I'm figuring correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2019, 09:24 AM

I don't practice or compete anymore, I just go and shoot for fun.

Average about 300 rounds of 38 Super each weekend, I switched from lead bullets to FMJ or JHP to increase hitting percentage, mostly at the new 8" gong at 50 yards.

Here is around how much I spend yearly on shooting :

$150 club membership.
$40 NRA membership (mandatory).
$2500 in ammo (I reload).
$200 in gun parts.

Quite a bit but not nearly as much as some serious competition shooters.

And I got a little over 150K rounds out of the last gun (STI 2011) before I rebuilt and gave it to my younger brother.

Last edited by gunnut606; 10-04-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

For about 10 years I was a relatively high volume shooter. Got into Bianchi Cup type competition. (Never shot in the actual "Cup" match itself). The matches weren't high round count, but the practice was. We had a small group of guys that would shoot together 2x a week in practice & expended about 300 rounds per session.

To make that much shooting as affordable as possible we were all reloaders and made (about quarterly) bulk purchases of bullets, primers and powder. That kept the costs as low as possible. Even at about 8 cents per round that comes out to over $2K per year for the ammo. Then there's misc. costs like range membership, match fees, travel expenses. So, shooting is not cheap, but, IMHO, it's a lot cheaper than golfing (and a lot more fun, and you're practicing a valuable skill). Money well spent.

NRA Life Member
Old 10-04-2019, 09:52 AM

Ammo costs get mixed into range maintenance (replacement steel, posts, paint, etc) and firearm maintenance here. Right around $1K a month. Little less in cold weather.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:02 AM

I used to drop hundreds of dollars and thousands of rounds down range but switched to quality not quantity. 100 rounds per week shooting specific drills is what I do now. Sitting at a bench or standing static and put rounds on a target is good for many but I prefer drills and include moving and shooting.

Currently I spend about $200 per month on ammo. Its all I can afford.
Range fee is $200 per year.
32 miles one way, car gets 35-38mpg.
Haven't bought any guns or related product in a year. For me its either ammo or kit and ammo is the winner.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:22 AM

Several on this thread have mentioned reloading as a way to save money. I also reload, for the fun of it and to save money, but I am reminded of a statement made by a man that raised cows on the side. "The best way to save money by raising your own cattle is to not keep up with how much it costs."
Old 10-04-2019, 10:47 AM

It is difficult for me to amortize it out over time.

I will spend a lot one month and then nothing the next month. Plus I have been buying and loading more than I actually shoot in anticipation of another ammo shortage.

And then you have the guns themselves. I keep telling myself that I have enough. Well I just bought another one last week.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:53 AM

Pretty much, if you use factory ammo, the ammo cost washes out all the others costs..Even a custom gun cost, amortized over say 40-50 thousand rounds is a relatively small cost/round vs the price of ammo.

No idea how much reloading cost's per round, but I am sure it helps a lot.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 10-04-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:22 AM

I'm guessing 15 cents a round (45 ACP) if you load your own and 24 cents a round for store bought cheapie ammo.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:46 PM

Well I feel called out lol, last year was $18000 not including new guns

*EDIT* that's everything though, mags, springs, ammo, targets, memberships and match fees, etc........
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland

Last edited by Striker2237; 10-04-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:24 PM

for practice and matches every time I'm home (I work 2wks on, 2wks off), I'm in for about $2K/yr in ammo. That's 1000rnds a month of .40cal that I load for $0.15/rnd.

Add buying and building up a backup pistol this year, spare parts, extra mags, springs, etc and we're up another $2000. I'm swapping platforms next year, so I'll have probably a little over double this for the 2020 shooting season.

I use a range on public land, so no range fee for practice.

Club matches at $15ea x 26 times a year. Plus other "local" (in state) matches at $15ea x 15 times a year. Plus 5 majors this year at about $180 x 4 plus $285 x 1. So, about another $1600 or so. Then add hotels & food (for those I didn't work as a RO) and that's another $1000. I don't even keep track of gas (expecially at 16mpg for a 5800lb 4x4).

I'm a lifetime member of USPSA, but a yearly member of IDPA & GSSF, so lets call it about $75/yr in membership fees.

So, nearly $7000 this year/season, which for me will wrap up after LoCap Nationals.

Besides the changing platforms, I'll be upping practice to 2000rnds/mo, so I'll be around $12-15000 next year.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampDawg View Post
Several on this thread have mentioned reloading as a way to save money. I also reload, for the fun of it and to save money, but I am reminded of a statement made by a man that raised cows on the side. "The best way to save money by raising your own cattle is to not keep up with how much it costs."

This is me. If I keep up with the cost, it won't be any or as much fun. I can say that I don't shoot any where near $1000/month or even $500. Just being on Soc. Sec. with no other income, I can't afford it!
Old 10-04-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post

I don't do anywhere near those numbers, But yes, I'm a cheapskate.

I haven't kept track for myself but it's probably about $400-$500 annually for personal practice costs.
$ 400- 500 a year? Hmmm, well, that’s one way to keep your guns clean..
Old 10-04-2019, 05:10 PM

How much I spend per year on shooting......

I shoot about 1300 rounds per month, mostly 9mm ammo, in practice and competitive action shooting matches. Since I reload, and get free brass that people leave on the ground at the private gun range where I shoot, my cost of 9mm reloads I make on my Dillon 1050 is about $6.50 per box of 50 rounds which is $ .13 per round. I mostly shoot Precision Delta 124 gr. JHP bullets with 4.0gr. of Tite Group powder, and CCI small pistol primer. I also shoot a 3-gun match once a month, and the cost of shotgun shells and reloading my own .223 ammo for my AR-115 is about an extra $25 per month. I also pick up free .223 brass at my gun range. I spend on average, $40 per month on match fees for all my matches, so I spend about a total of roughly $3,500 per year which includes the cost of gas to drive to local matches, but does not include the wear and tear on my vehicle, nor the insurance. The gun range where I shoot the most is one of the top outdoor ranges in FL, and is a 12 mile round trip from my home!

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 10-04-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:31 PM

I will not keep a tally. Reloading, match fees, guns, club fees.....

I don’t want to know. I shoot 2 matches a week and practice at least once a week.

I load for me, my wife and daughter. We all shoot at least 3 x a week.

As long as the bills are all paid and I can buy what I want, life is good.

David
Old 10-04-2019, 08:41 PM

Plantar5------ Yeah, I haven't been shooting much for a very long time.

Because my wife & I have been squirreling away every spare dime for years. And now we are finally taking the mallet to the piggy bank.

We just closed escrow today on the "Mr Fancy-Pants" house I mentioned a month ago. Our new neighbors are gonna poop themselves when we roll in with my crappy Toyota truck filled with all our crummy stuff, and my hoopty '63 Plymouth.

Maybe I can get my mother-in-law to ride up top in a rocking chair
Attached Thumbnails
da crib.PNG  
Old 10-04-2019, 08:44 PM

You more mature gents will get that reference!
Old 10-05-2019, 08:53 AM

Mag man I got the reference and I got a good chuckle out of it What A sight and the hell with them snooty neighbor
Old 10-05-2019, 08:58 AM

But if U have a niece that looks like Ellie Mae I'd like to help you move
Old 10-05-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Plantar5------ Yeah, I haven't been shooting much for a very long time.

Because my wife & I have been squirreling away every spare dime for years. And now we are finally taking the mallet to the piggy bank.

We just closed escrow today on the "Mr Fancy-Pants" house I mentioned a month ago. Our new neighbors are gonna poop themselves when we roll in with my crappy Toyota truck filled with all our crummy stuff, and my hoopty '63 Plymouth.

Maybe I can get my mother-in-law to ride up top in a rocking chair
Congrats on your “McMansion”. Everyone needs one once ( the wives do at least). I gladly downsized almost 10 years ago. Tell us about the part that matters most, the garage..
Old 10-05-2019, 10:08 AM

I honestly have no idea on what I spend on ammo components a year. Load well over 10,000 a year and since my retirement a couple years ago my gun buying has pretty much stopped but my reloading has increased as I have a little more time to shoot.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 10-05-2019, 11:12 AM

Plantar5------ The garage is a 3 car. One flank of which is deep enough to fit two very small cars in, nose to tail. So it's a 4-car if two of them are tiny!

The floor was done in that epoxy-finish stuff long ago. It's stained & discolored now, but I don't care. It's still nicer than the rough & cracked concrete that I have now. The sellers have another 2 weeks of occupancy per our contract, so now I'm doing packing/selling/donating stuff. But keeping all guns, of course!

Btw, note the windowless bottom floor. It's finished as a gym but mostly empty. I think I'll be doing some light shooting down there. I use the Colibri Sans Poudre (no powder) primer-only .22 ammo.

In a long arm it's 100% silent. Less noise than a Daisy Red Ryder. There's a decent vent fan so an occasional 25 round session should be okay.

It's fun stuff if you've ever tried it. Cheap too.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
simonp67 ------- If you can reload for 15 Cents a round, that's $900 / Mo. or $10,800 a year in ammo.

I think that you can get Wolf factory .45 ACP at about .24 per round. Or $1,440 per month, or $17,280 per year in ammo costs. If I'm figuring correctly.

I’ve yet to get costs that low even purchasing everything on sale - im closer to .20/round on my best days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro