Let's Have a Bit of Fun.... and Perhaps Stimulate Some Thought.... - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

View Poll Results: What are you personally doing to preserve our 2A, Bill of Rights, and way of life?
I support my range/club: teach, run matches, bring in new folks 2 3.39%
I do 'community outreach' for training: scouts, churches, etc. 1 1.69%
Involved with FNRA, State gun groups, other clubs, etc. - plan/run activities, events 1 1.69%
Financially support NRA, GOA, etc. 12 20.34%
I vote, write letters, or am involved in local/state politics 9 15.25%
All of the above!!!! 25 42.37%
None of the above. (In that case, there's not much left to say!) 1 1.69%
I just give money. (If so, trust me on this; we need you to do more!) 3 5.08%
I just buy guns, post on forums, rant to the wife, and yell at the TV!!!!! 5 8.47%
Who was Patrick Henry????? 0 0%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2019, 11:02 AM

Let's Have a Bit of Fun.... and Perhaps Stimulate Some Thought....

I broached this subject in a post on a different thread and I believe it scared folks away, given that the conversation quickly died off. So, let's try it as a 'stand-alone' topic and see what happens.......

I believe it's safe to say that the majority of us agree that we're at a pivotal point in our history. Trump won't be in the White House forever, the goofballs on that debate stage last week should scare the devil out of each of us, Gov't education continues to excel at dismal failure, millennials believe that Guevara and Castro were 'champions of the people', we have a mental health crisis, an opiod crisis, and thanks to those two little gems, a homelessness crisis, the borders are a sieve, and now we have the pleasant surprises of RF laws and proposed 'weapons of war' (whatever that means) bans. The left, as we know, have mastered the arts of mobilizing people (mostly useful idiots - again, thanks to Gov't education!), using the courts, playing on emotions, lying, cheating, violence, misdirection, on and on..... For our part, we can barely unite long enough to bail water from a sinking boat. We've already let the Founders down. How about we keep them from disowning us altogether?

So, we have to do something right? Otherwise, what's the point? Therefore, my question is: What exactly is it that you are doing to help preserve our 2A, our Bill of Rights, hell, our way of life - at least what's left of it?

Think through the options and consider: Are you doing enough, or should (could) you do more? Also, please feel free to mention other creative ways in which you're working to preserve what we have, such as it is, for future generations.

Last edited by havanajim; 09-15-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:11 PM

Thanks for posting this! Can you add a response for “more than 1”? Although I’m not sure I’ll be able to change my response anymore. Depends if the site lets me
Old 09-15-2019, 12:30 PM

Right now it's just support the gun orgs financially, buy and shoot lots, and be a general postal and phone pest to my reps, the President and the Senate Leader included.

Looking to expand that to local in-person efforts. Clubs, that kind of thing. As time allows.
-----------------^--------------
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, FL Carry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2019, 12:52 PM

The all of the above response.

While not exactly correct for my circumstances, it came the closest. So that was my choice.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:35 PM

I had to select all of the above but the truth is more "most" of the above. I couldn't select just one!
Captain, Sons of the American Revolution
Old 09-15-2019, 02:06 PM

What exactly is it that you are doing to help preserve our 2A, our Bill of Rights, hell, our way of life?

ME? I was about to send a serious (too me) amount of money to the reelect campaign.
When a peron I didn't know high-fived me on the street saying he "liked my cap". ( I have worn a MAGA cap for three years now).
After reflecting on this for a few days I took that same amount of money and bought MAGA caps. My wife and I wear these caps and spend a large amount of time OUT of the house.
Whenever someone we NEVER saw before says "I like your hat" We tell em we will GIVE them one if they will wear it. So far in the past few months we have given away over 500 MAGA caps!
We think we are doing more with our money for the reelect than THEY would have done trying to get Yankees to change their vote.
But you did ask and so I have answered.
As a side not NOBODY has said a BAD word to either of us in the three years of wearing our MAGA caps. But lots of folks have inquired of such believing they might get into trouble if they wear em.
Big Jim

Last edited by Big Jim M; 09-16-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jim M View Post
What exactly is it that you are doing to help preserve our 2A, our Bill of Rights, hell, our way of life?

ME? I was about to send a serious (too me) amount of money to the reelect campaign.
When a peron I didn't know high-fived me on the street saying he "liked my cap". ( I have worn a MEGA cap for three years now).
After reflecting on this for a few days I took that same amount of money and bought MEGA caps. My wife and I wear these caps and spend a large amount of time OUT of the house.
Whenever someone we NEVER saw before says "I like your hat" We tell em we will GIVE them one if they will wear it. So far in the past few months we have given away over 500 MEGA caps!
We think we are doing more with our money for the reelect than THEY would have done trying to get Yankees to change their vote.
As a side not NOBODY has said a BAD word to either of us in the three years of wearing our MEGA caps. But lots of folks have inquired of such believing they might get into trouble if they wear em.
Big Jim
Outstanding!!!!! Just plain outstanding!!!! That's what I was hoping to see: 'out of the box' ideas. While I don't have a MAGA hat, I do wear pro-2A, NRA, and various gun make/model hats and shirts, and, like you, I've yet to experience any of those'negative' responses we hear about. On the contrary, aside from the positive responses, it has sparked interesting conversations where, hopefully, some perceptions were changed for the better.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:10 PM

Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanajim View Post
Outstanding!!!!! Just plain outstanding!!!! That's what I was hoping to see: 'out of the box' ideas. While I don't have a MAGA hat, I do wear pro-2A, NRA, and various gun make/model hats and shirts, and, like you, I've yet to experience any of those'negative' responses we hear about. On the contrary, aside from the positive responses, it has sparked interesting conversations where, hopefully, some perceptions were changed for the better.
I think we are helping to get ONE THIRD of our government to stay in office.
We believe this will preserve our 2A.
If you want lots and lots of positive responses WEAR a MAGA hat! You ain't seen nothing yet.
Really good ones cost less than 20 bucks delivered.. Getcha one.
Big Jim

Last edited by Big Jim M; 09-16-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:57 PM

all of the above, depending on my free time
Old 09-16-2019, 06:51 AM

My favorite past time is calling out any libs I encounter and point out how stupid they are. In its own way, it may get through to some. On the other hand, they are so self centered that if a foreign invasion hit the coast, they would offer welcome baskets. Trying to get them into any of the shooting sports is a joke. Scouting?? All they want to do is chase butterflies and hug trees. They will let the critters go that you just trapped for dinner and settle for licking the lichen on trees. Even in the woods they are useless.

Last edited by Nitro.45; 09-16-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I think we are helping to get ONE THIRD of our government to stay in office.
We believe this will preserve our 2A.
If you want lots and lots of positive responses WEAR a MEGA hat! You ain't seen nothing yet.
Really good ones cost less than 20 bucks delivered.. Getcha one.
Big Jim

Don't you mean MAGA hat!

Make America Great Again hat???
Old 09-16-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt191145 View Post
Don't you mean MAGA hat!

Yep! Sure do. First time I ever wrote or spoke that word. We just call em "TRUMP HATS". Most of em have the TRUMP word front and center.
Thanks
Big Jim
Old 09-16-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
My favorite past time is calling out any libs I encounter and point out how stupid they are. In its own way, it may get through to some. On the other hand, they are so self centered that if a foreign invasion hit the coast, they would offer welcome baskets. Trying to get them into any of the shooting sports is a joke. Scouting?? All they want to do is chase butterflies and hug trees. They will let the critters go that you just trapped for dinner and settle for licking the lichen on trees. Even in the woods they are useless.
Howdy Nitro
I'd love to have a friendly debate with a lib. However so far I haven't found one that COULD make a debate of any merit. Like most of the sheep in the flock they seem to just follow the leader with the rest of the flock.
Big Jim
Old 09-17-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Howdy Nitro
I'd love to have a friendly debate with a lib. However so far I haven't found one that COULD make a debate of any merit. Like most of the sheep in the flock they seem to just follow the leader with the rest of the flock.
Big Jim
I would figure that you would have the pick of the litter, seeiní as you are in Austin. WTH is going on there anyway? Hey, you could wear a MAGA hat to a Chic Fil A .......Iím sure they would be clamoring all over you to have a discussion!
Old 09-17-2019, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

"All of the above".

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 09-17-2019, 09:18 AM

Hey Nitro I have a sandwich there at least once a week! Most times I give away at least one MAGA cap.
As for Austin I moved out of there! But still have to use their facilities for this or that.
The folks I meet ate regular people, I don't understand where the Yankee vote comes from.
Found out just the other day the city is planning on taking one of the major roads, that can be used as an exit from the city, and putting two bike lanes a and a one lane PARK complete with benches down the middle of the street! All this when the street can barely be navigated in rush hour as it is.
Anyway wear you MAGA cap in good health!
Big Jim
Old 09-17-2019, 11:42 AM

Jeesuzzz, pretty soon, pink mohawks, wasted hippies playing bongos in the park and homeless folks will adorn the land. Sickening......
Old 09-17-2019, 12:59 PM

I am planning a bit of subterfuge in the coming holidays.

As you all should know. Sportsman's warehouse and likely other establishments as well. They sell gift cards redeemable for a one year membership in the NRA. I generally carry one with me all of the time in case I run into someone that needs one.

Anyway, come the holidays, I will be getting a bunch of them. The plan is to give them out to relatives that fail for whatever reason to feel a strong need to preserve second amendment rights, And yes despite my best efforts I do have some relatives so afflicted. I will send them these gift cards with hopes for the better. I figure that it is a win/win situation. They will either take the one year membership with the magazine of their choice. And perhaps see the light. Or on the other hand will just throw the card away. In which case the NRA gets the money anyway without having the expense of servicing the new member.

What say the omniscient ones here about this?
Old 09-17-2019, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
As you all should know. Sportsman's warehouse and likely other establishments as well. They sell gift cards redeemable for a one year membership in the NRA. I generally carry one with me all of the time in case I run into someone that needs one.

Anyway, come the holidays, I will be getting a bunch of them. The plan is to give them out to relatives that fail for whatever reason to feel a strong need to preserve second amendment rights, And yes despite my best efforts I do have some relatives so afflicted. I will send them these gift cards with hopes for the better. I figure that it is a win/win situation. They will either take the one year membership with the magazine of their choice. And perhaps see the light. Or on the other hand will just throw the card away. In which case the NRA gets the money anyway without having the expense of servicing the new member.

One heck of a great idea IMO!

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 09-17-2019, 01:42 PM

Agreed, it's a very good idea. While it would be great to win over some 'minds', it's a reality that some folks will never be reached. This idea covers both bases.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:

When a peron I didn't know high-fived me on the street saying he "liked my cap". ( I have worn a MAGA cap for three years now).
After reflecting on this for a few days I took that same amount of money and bought MAGA caps. My wife and I wear these caps and spend a large amount of time OUT of the house.
Whenever someone we NEVER saw before says "I like your hat" We tell em we will GIVE them one if they will wear it. So far in the past few months we have given away over 500 MAGA caps!
As a side not NOBODY has said a BAD word to either of us in the three years of wearing our MAGA caps. But lots of folks have inquired of such believing they might get into trouble if they wear em.
Big Jim
Quote:

Great ideas guys, God Bless both of you. I signed up 5 people for the NRA awhile back but I like your idea of gift cards USMM, I think I might do that.

I could not vote for all of the above because I only do three of the five that were above so I just voted for donations to the NRA, GOA and others. I do teach and try to bring a few new shooters into the light on occasion. I definitely vote for people who seem the least likely to take my rights away and I write and send e-mails almost weekly when the antis have their panties in a bunch like now with all the crap they are throwing at the wall hoping some will stick.

That Patrick Henry he worked on the railroad right? He had a brother named John.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:

Beats my idea!
When I started reading your post, I thought to just sign em all up, donít give them a choice. Then you pointed out the part about the NRA not having to service an unwilling account. Plus, they would waste the sticker!
Great Idea!
Old 09-18-2019, 08:11 AM

I have spent the last several years reading the biographies of all the outstanding players of the first "American Revolution". These guys were amazing in that they were together at that time in history. Although they didn't always pull in the same harness they found ways to compromise.

The Liberal Left discounts The Constitution and the Bill Of Rights. Knowing who the players were and their roles and sacrifices aids in the discussion. What is being taught in our school system is so brief and tainted it barely touches the true story.

How many people know the connection between the first battle of the fist "American Revolution" and the 2A? They came for our guns! We killed em'!

I just finished my 40th book on the subject. I saved Benedict Arnold's Biography untill I got grounded in the facts leading up to his "turning coat"! His story is extremely complex and is rarely understood. It was just the unlucky stroke of luck that Washington wasn't captured at West Point by the "Red Coats"!

"That Patrick Henry he worked on the railroad right? He had a brother named John."

No, he invented beer!

Smiles,

Last edited by jjfitch; 09-18-2019 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
"That Patrick Henry he worked on the railroad right? He had a brother named John."

No, he invented beer!

Smiles,
OH OK! I always thought that was Samuel Adams.

"Give me beer or give me death"
Old 09-18-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt191145 View Post
Don't you mean MAGA hat!

There is a funny story about that,

Liberals and leftists are so triggered by it that they go into shock whenever they see even a RED hat...

There was a funny story on Breitbart about it, it freaks them out just to see ANY red hat and they've asked people to stop wearing red hats because it "triggers" them so much.

So the more Red Hats there are out there the better.