Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-16-2019, 03:34 AM

Viper
Old 05-16-2019, 05:26 AM

Razor gen II 1-6
Old 05-17-2019, 11:42 AM

I am now deciding on Vortex Strike Eagle or the Ranger.

These should suffice for my needs.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:11 PM

Strike Eagle 1-6 on order via amzon. Got a Aim Assist throw lever with it too.
I had some amzon gift card stuff, so my cost was $0, but I still use $$ wisely no matter where it comes from. I will however need to buy the mount, so I think the Burris pepr will be it.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:17 PM

I did not see anywhere if you were asked what is your normal shooting distance and what is the firearm's primary use? My apologies if I missed it.

I went with a plain dot as I do not envision me shooting much past 100 yards given the 10.5 barrel and SBA3 brace. It is a range toy and possible SD device once I throw a can on it. If I hunted with it, then maybe a scope.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhawkins View Post
I did not see anywhere if you were asked what is your normal shooting distance and what is the firearm's primary use? My apologies if I missed it.

I went with a plain dot as I do not envision me shooting much past 100 yards given the 10.5 barrel and SBA3 brace. It is a range toy and possible SD device once I throw a can on it. If I hunted with it, then maybe a scope.
My build is a basic 16" 300blk (any distance in general). A basic/general use rifle (range, etc), but I built it using some build techniques that should make it a better accurate/precision rifle overall.. I have another project I am working on, a lightweight 300blk sbr-can, perhaps more of a CQ/SD rifle. I got some Lancer "300blk" 10/20/30 rnd mags that I can share between the rifles.

I looked at so many optics, at this point my head hurts. I'll run the Strike Eagle for now.

And just to note, for as many videos there are for the better scopes like Vortex, there's an equal # of videos for ok budget scopes. As example, TruGlo Omnia got some really good reviews. I know there is quality diff, but the question is always "does it matter". I guess in this buy I am getting something that is known to be good.

Last edited by 1911_Kid; 05-19-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGC View Post
Can't imagine that you'd need bdc for .300 Blackout.
Why not? Because of the .300blks effective range?
Old 05-22-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_Kid View Post
Strike Eagle 1-6 on order via amzon. Got a Aim Assist throw lever with it too.
I had some amzon gift card stuff, so my cost was $0, but I still use $$ wisely no matter where it comes from. I will however need to buy the mount, so I think the Burris pepr will be it.
Solid choice. I put the Strike Eagle 1-8 on my 338 hunting rifle thinking it would just be until I got something better. I like it so much that I am not even considering anything else at this point. Same with the strike eagle 3-18 I mounted on my 6.5. (which no longer shows up on the Vortex website)
Old 05-22-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Peltier View Post
Solid choice. I put the Strike Eagle 1-8 on my 338 hunting rifle thinking it would just be until I got something better. I like it so much that I am not even considering anything else at this point. Same with the strike eagle 3-18 I mounted on my 6.5. (which no longer shows up on the Vortex website)
Interestingly enough, some of the "vortex" products sold on amazon by various vendors have reviews that say "this one is a Chinese knock off product", because the item had some issues.

I am contacting Vortex to see if the vendor selling the one I bought is an authorized vendor for Vortex.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadonny View Post
Why not? Because of the .300blks effective range?
That would be my thoughts
Old 05-22-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faawrenchbender View Post
That would be my thoughts
BDC still has meaning even outside the context of "effective range". Bullets of any shape/size fired out any barrel by any size charge still have drop. Whether or not the BDC lines are properly spaced in the optic to match the round being used I guess can be debated. Perhaps true with a Strike Eagle 1-6 ?
Old 05-22-2019, 05:54 PM

The Strike Eagle showed up today. Sad to see "made in china" sticker on it.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
The Strike Eagle showed up today. Sad to see "made in china" sticker on it.
Peel the sticker off
Old 05-23-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Peel the sticker off
But my feelings are already hurt,
Old 05-23-2019, 06:40 PM

I hear ya. Made in china kept me from buying vortex for a long time. They have proven themselves and are pretty good budget scopes. The Burris is made in the Philippines and the Bushnell is made in Korea, and I don't care for either of them. In the price range you were looking you weren't going to get American, European or Japanese glass. Thats partly why my first recommendation was the Steiner, though it was a slight bit more expensive, They are probably the best quality for price in its category. I thought you knew Vortex was made in china or I would have mentioned it. The only Chinese scopes I care for, and recommend, are Vortex.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I hear ya. Made in china kept me from buying vortex for a long time. They have proven themselves and are pretty good budget scopes. The Burris is made in the Philippines and the Bushnell is made in Korea, and I don't care for either of them. In the price range you were looking you weren't going to get American, European or Japanese glass. Thats partly why my first recommendation was the Steiner, though it was a slight bit more expensive, They are probably the best quality for price in its category. I thought you knew Vortex was made in china or I would have mentioned it. The only Chinese scopes I care for, and recommend, are Vortex.
Not all Vortex is made in china. They have a plant in WI. The lower cost scopes are china. I wrote them email about this made in china issue, they said they are working on bringing all manufacturing into the US.

I looked at several US made optics, prices were approx 100% more. A $250 Vortex china item is about $500 for similar US made item.

I'll live with it.

I glad I got throw lever, because twisting objective is fairly stiff.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Not all Vortex is made in china. They have a plant in WI. The lower cost scopes are china. I wrote them email about this made in china issue, they said they are working on bringing all manufacturing into the US.

I looked at several US made optics, prices were approx 100% more. A $250 Vortex china item is about $500 for similar US made item.

I'll live with it.

I know Vortex make some in the USA (at least assemble) but none in your stated $400.00 budget are. Perhaps the recently imposed terrifies on china will help get Vortex to bring all their product assembling to the USA. Of course you will then have virtually the same Strike Eagle for about the same cost as a Leupold or Steiner.

The stiff objective is very common on many of these scopes. No matter where its made or assembled. My Leupolds, Meopta, Trijicon, and Swarovski are just as stiff as the Vortex. Its primarily due to a good O-ring seal to keep the objective end of the scope dry and the objective from turning unintentionally.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:01 PM

I've got the Trijicon AccuPower 1-8 on my 16" gun, it's a very good optic but the center cross hair is so fat that it covers to much of the target for my liking. Shooting steel in matches it doesn't much matter but when I'm shooting paper targets it gets a little annoying for me. It really doesn't become an issue for me until I go to 6-8 magnification.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:

I'll live with it.

The term made and assembled are interchangeable when speaking of cheap scopes. Some state made in US, but they are really just assembled with Chinese glass and parts.

Last edited by Faawrenchbender; 05-28-2019 at 05:42 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:28 PM

Oops....
Old 05-27-2019, 08:26 PM

1911 Kid, you've got 5200 plus posts. I can't believe this thread is still going on. How hard is it to pick a scope? Just freaking pick one and live with it, or sell it later. You insisted on a cheap scope and then are upset that it's made in China. What did you expect? I'm sorry if I sound blunt, but I don't get the 3 weeks of discussion, the agonizing, and the necessity for group hugging just to decide on a scope. But then, I'm not normal.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
1911 Kid, you've got 5200 plus posts. I can't believe this thread is still going on. How hard is it to pick a scope? Just freaking pick one and live with it, or sell it later. You insisted on a cheap scope and then are upset that it's made in China. What did you expect? I'm sorry if I sound blunt, but I don't get the 3 weeks of discussion, the agonizing, and the necessity for group hugging just to decide on a scope. But then, I'm not normal.
After watching the "vortex factory tour" video (the US factory) I thought they had moved all their scope making there. I was wrong.

It was a cheap buy, for a general use rifle that does not need a $500+ scope. But this does not mean anyone can't find best value for the $ spent regardless of the $ amount. I am sure people debate the same when they are after a $2500 scope, because it's usually not about the $, its about the item itself, etc.

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to add [I don't know what] to this thread. Have you ever heard the saying, if you don't like what's on the station then change the dial? You mentioned you are not normal, so do you curse at the station when you don't like what your are hearing?

And btw, this might throw some people into a fit, it took me quite some time debating over what trigger group product I was gonna buy for some AR15 builds. Crazy huh.

Last edited by 1911_Kid; 05-28-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:49 PM

Depending on the line, Vortex scopes are manufactured in Japan, Phillipines, China or the US. The least expensive line is made in China for a reason. I have no problem with buying scopes made in Japan, Phillipines or the USA. Wish I could afford Vortex's AMG scope which is made in the US and is their most expensive scope. But I can't and have to settle for ones made in Japan or the Phillipines. Good quality never the less.