1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-12-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGRAY View Post
What does step brass look like? Not sure I have seen this before.
Marty
Discussion in this thread. Picture a couple of posts down:

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/2...stepped-brass/
Old 03-12-2019, 09:02 PM

Google: "9mm Stepped brass case:

One picture is worth a thousand words!

Smilkes,
Old 03-13-2019, 05:58 PM

I basically sort mine by the times loaded irrespective of head stamp.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:36 PM

In the 9mm I just happen to use only Winchester brass, but as a rule, for target/paper punching/ steel plate loads in 45,40,380,45lc, or 38 I donít sort headstamps, however, if I am working on a full house load for hunting or self defense loads, I use once or twice fired known brass like WW, RP, or FC, all from the same lot if possible.
When I shoot factory, I save that 1x brass and the original box for full house loads.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:47 PM

for plinking or running through polymer guns I load them mixed. for use in my 1911, I sort them by head stamp and use only RP WW or FC, same for SMG loads to run through my Uzi. The SMG rounds will run in my 1911 with a heavier (16#) recoil spring.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1racefan View Post
I've reloaded probably 10,000 rounds of 9mm and have never worried about headstamps, except...for that dreaded "WCC" headstamp. This is a military grade 9mm. The problem is that these rounds have crimped primers. Once the primers are inserted into the cartridges, some type of tool deforms the metal around the circumference of the primer to "lock" the primer in the pocket. It's no problem pressing these primers out with the decapping die, but the pocket does not have the nice, normal roundover at the start of the primer pocket. So it is very easy for primers to get crushed trying to force them into the primer pocket.

There are two options. If you buy or pickup plenty of brass, just toss them. The other option is to sort them out and purchase a primer pocket reaming tool that will put the chamfer on the primer pocket.

You'll probably run into other military cases with crimped in primers. Most of these primers also have a sealant applied, so you'll usually see a red ring around the primer pocket, which is the sealant.

My opinion...just toss them. They cause you to cuss way too much.
There is a THIRD option... reload on a Dillon 1050. One of the stages is a swaging station. It "reforms" the military swaged primer pocket so that a primer will fit. Works great. FWIW, I see a fair amount of NATO military brass at my range - I think it's the sub-gun guys who buy by the pallet. Some of them have a colored sealant applied, others don't.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:18 PM

I used to sort by head stamp but after awhile and some velocity data collection, I started to wonder why. Now I throw it all together. I chamfer the crimped primer pockets because I am a CMF and I don't like to throw anything useful away.

I found much more variability in velocity based on the pistol and the barrel length of course. The highest velocity with the same barrel length, regardless of head stamp, was from pistols with the original Luger chamber with the "sealing ring", common in Walther pistols.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:20 PM

Depends and . . . sometimes.

.223 --> LC & Winchester & FC & PMC & Hornady & Remington & misc

.45acp -->small and large primer

9mm --> WIN to my brother
FC / Blazer / Speer to a fellow shooter

Ni-plated separated for 9mm, .40S&W, .45acp
Old 03-14-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1911 View Post
I sort all calibers by headstamp, ocd I guess.
I don't, but maybe I should. I don't think it's OCD to sort by headstamp. It makes sense if you want to maximize reliablility in your reloads or just simply know what you're using in your reloads. I end up with a lot of other guys' brass which is sometimes good, sometimes bad.

For now all I do is toss a case if it happens to not accept a new primer or otherwise causes a hangup.

If I move up to a Dillon 650 or 1050 where I'm using a case feeder, I'll want to be a lot more sure about every case I'm using.

Last edited by GunBugBit; 03-14-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:12 PM

I do. I break out Win, Blazer, FC, RP, Nato, Speer. Everything else goes into a mix bucket. Stepped brass gets culled. I started when I was trying to cure some OAL variance issues - and it did. So I just kinda kept it up. A nice side benefit is the brass feel in the press is consistent per headstamp. So if I'm doing a big bucket of Win for instance, I can tell by feel when somethings wrong (split, 380 snuck in, etc). When I"m shooting anywhere I can recover the brass I shoot the sorted. When I can't clean it up (matches) I shoot the mixed. I see no real performance benefit. Maybe if I were bullseye instead of action shooting. I'm about to start pre-processing brass through another press , and will probably eliminate the sorting step. It does clean up OAL though.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m/v MOJO View Post
There is a THIRD option... reload on a Dillon 1050. One of the stages is a swaging station. It "reforms" the military swaged primer pocket so that a primer will fit. Works great. FWIW, I see a fair amount of NATO military brass at my range - I think it's the sub-gun guys who buy by the pallet. Some of them have a colored sealant applied, others don't.
Wcc brass was still stubborn in the my 1050.
I gave up on wcc brass after a while.
They make a great refrigerator magnet.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:57 PM

I sort 9mm brass when working up a load. For IDPA or practice ammo, NO.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:59 PM

I sort 9mm brass when working up a load. For IDPA or practice ammo, NO. If I were to shoot Bullseye competition I would sort brass, might even find a brand that was more accurate than others. Everything seems to make a difference in precision shooting.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:04 PM

In 43 years of reloading, I have never sorted handgun brass. I do, however, clean primer pockets and trim revolver brass prior to each reloading. So, I'm at least partially OCD.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:29 PM

I sort all of my brass, both pistol and rifle. I keep some FC, RP and WW out for hunting, competing and defense loads. Then I load all of the rest of it for my daily shooting needs.

Dealing with crimped primers is a PITA to me but I feel like most of it is better quality than the current crop of commercial brass.

Like some of the others posted, I inspect it all anyway so sorting is not really an extra step. There is enough steel, aluminum, Berdan and stepped brass that I'm not comfortable with not inspecting it.

I'm posting this after just going through 2 20mm ammo cans full of 9mm brass! And yes, I was questioning my motives before I finished.

Last edited by lightman; 03-15-2019 at 07:31 PM.