1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 06:04 PM

IWB holster...cant decide.

So i am seeking a solution to my IWB problems. I have a 5" govt that I love to carry. It is slim and carries great. I have been using a crossbreed supertuck. I am no stranger to the crossbreed, I have been using one for 10 years with my other edc(4.5 xdm). But it seems that with eh 1911 it rides diff.

I find myself wanting a holster that will retain the pistol when not on me, I also find the crossbreed to digging into the bend on my hip, and the wide flaps to be catching skin(butt) weird... and lastly a bit more flexibility of movement /adjustment for sitting, etc.

So my desires are easy on, less belt real-estate, less body to the holster, a bit more flex. ALSO i want a rough out hoster...

I have my eye on the following holsters-

milt sparks summer special 2
(thunder ranch if i get one)--seems like it would add more bulk right at the gun with the straps and snaps)

andrew s leatherMc Daniel II
( I really like the offset loop seems like less bulk right at the gun, like my supertuck)

Rgrizzle ...i like many of his--
his can all be ordered rough out.

Rough N Ready (less bulk, spring clip, easy on, offset loop)

SDR (sort of a 1/2 crossbreed/ summer special)

SMR 2 (adjustable cant, summer special type)

SSR

or perhaps a barranti summer classic as he is a fellow PA guy

The only outlier here is is a garret silent thunder....Cheap, thin, easy on

I know this might seem all over the place but I only have experience with the supertuck....and perhaps this isnt much to gain, but asking the collective for opinions...
Old 12-17-2018, 06:51 PM

Your first option, the Milt Sparks SS2, will likely solve all of your issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2018, 08:53 PM

Thunder Ranch just restocked on the Summer Special. Get mag holders!

https://thunderranchinc.com/product/...ranch-edition/

https://thunderranchinc.com/product/...ranch-edition/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2018, 09:02 PM

R grizzle Warpig

IWB/OWB hybrid

Blend of a country boy and a town and country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2018, 02:31 PM

I like the milt sparks and Andrews the best so far. Both are in stock. But man I really think rgrizzles work is phenomenal. I would like to get one of his workin man holsters for owb.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:07 PM

I tried many holsters. My favorite is the original summer special from Milt Sparks. I have used it in matches and the draw is fast. No sweat shield means my thumb is on the safety when drawing. YMMV.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:42 PM

I have the Sparks VMII and the Andrews. Both great, and, I also that T&T Gunleather which I find very good as well. I tend to Use the T&T and Andrews the Most.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:04 PM

The Milt Sparks Criterion is something special that you should consider.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:25 PM

I love the idea of the MacDaniel II design, and I'm sure it's a solid, well-made holster, but in pictures it looks like the holster leaves most of the trigger guard exposed. Clearly others are comfortable with that, but I'm not. I want the leather covering the trigger. Call it a pet peeve, I guess.

For an IWB you can't beat Milt Sparks, regardless of which model you choose.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:29 PM

Nelson Holsters makes a very good product. I worked with him via email and phone conversations until we had a design that was just right for me. I've been wearing for sometime now and I'm very satisfied.

http://www.nelsonholsters.com/nelson...pdated_002.htm
Old 12-29-2018, 07:22 PM

I have a Sparks Criterion and a Sparks VM2. The Criterion is the most comfortable IWB holster I have ever owned and the VM2 is a very close second.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:54 PM

TT Gunleather. More comfortable than a Sparks and cheaper.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:04 PM

TT Gunleather also has about a two week turn around. Great products. I really like his website.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogfurr View Post
I have a Sparks Criterion and a Sparks VM2. The Criterion is the most comfortable IWB holster I have ever owned and the VM2 is a very close second.
My thoughts exactly!
Old 01-17-2019, 05:58 AM

+1 for TT Gunleather! Great gear and excellent service!
Old 01-17-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post

So my desires are easy on, less belt real-estate, less body to the holster, a bit more flex. ALSO i want a rough out hoster...

milt sparks summer special 2
(thunder ranch if i get one)--seems like it would add more bulk right at the gun with the straps and snaps)
Jason Burton has a take on the bulk issue, in this old thread on the 5 Shot IBS

Here's the thread on our forum https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=265817

Here's the same information with pictures http://forum.ltwguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8187
Old 01-17-2019, 12:53 PM

There are plenty of quality holster makers, many are identified in the replies above. I happen to be a Milt Sparks fan. Your choice of a SS2 (I own several) is a good one. However, if you do not want the loops directly over the pistol to minimize the "bulk", you may want to consider the Versa Max 2 or Criterion models (I own both of these also). However, my VM2 has the most belt time carrying my EDC full size 1911.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0200 (2).jpg  
Old 01-17-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by at View Post

I strongly second this, with the caveat that I don't think it is available in RSO.

Given that, the Summer Special 2 has been around for at least 27 years that I can recall and there is a reason for that.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starship Enterpris View Post
I strongly second this, with the caveat that I don't think it is available in RSO.
I made it that way when I was there. I imagine they still do.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:57 PM

Easy on-&-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by at View Post
Concur. When my “Criterion” arrived, my most frequently used holster was a Comp-Tac “Infidel”: very, very easy on-&-off; good concealment. After ~1yr of using the Criterion, getting it on-&-off had become easy enough for nearly every day. 2yrs in, it is essentially every day: 360+ days a year. If driving to several places, I’ll use the Infidel: it -is- easier. However, the Criterion is more comfortable; more choices of guns*; better retention *of the holster*; concealment just as good.

Easy on-&-off is important to me because I dismount to drive in order to have the gun more accessible while driving. Here-abouts, much more likely to need to fend off a towering road-rager than a mugger. Dont want to find my pistol trapped and unreachable during the *next* attempted vehicular assault.
j -:

*- it doesnt scrape the finish like Kydex; so i can carry a pretty gun.
;- j
Old 02-07-2019, 11:03 PM

I'm a Fat Guy and I find the the Spark VMII at the 3:30-4:00 o'clock works the best for me.
I've tried some of the other Sparks and because I wear it so far back they stick out in the rear though my shorts.

Good Luck
Old 02-09-2019, 03:19 AM

I’ve used the Milt Sparks SSII for a full size 1911 for over a decade. Great holster. Bought one for the Glock 19, and had them make me one for the Sig P938 as well. That was about a three month wait I think.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:01 AM

Sparks makes good stuff, no doubt about it. I have a few VMIIs, and they're comfortable and concele well.

My concern with the SS would be its stability with a 40+ ounce, 5" gun... the VMII and Criterion have attachment points on "wings", separated by space. The SS hase essentially a single, center mounted point of attachment. While I don't have a SS, I have a similar style holster from another manufacturer. With a full size steel gun, it tends to shift about. I think it would work well with a lightweight, 3" 1911 or similar size gun...
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 02-09-2019, 09:28 AM

Milt Sparks Criterion with snaps, not magnets.

1) 25 degree forward cant to mitigate printing
2) Split loops for comfort and thinner profile. Prevents rearward tilt unlike the loops on the Summer Special.
3) Steel reinforced mouth to prevent collapse. Doubles as tensioner.
4) Very comfortable overall

This is my choice for 1911 Gov’t and Commanders. I have a Heritage for my Government and it tilts back because the loops do not prevent it. Pressure on the holster’s muzzle area makes this worse for me due to the slide’s length.

Last edited by tomrkba; 02-09-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:54 PM

Sparks all the way. Try a VMII or a Criterion.
Closed Thread