Ed Brown Kobra Carry Question - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-12-2018, 05:19 PM

Ed Brown Kobra Carry Question

The grip safety on my KC seems to need a little more fitting. I have to squeeze the grip kind of hard to get it to disengage. On my other 1911s I do not even notice the grip safety . I only have about 200 rounds through it so far,do you think it just needs to be broken in or should I send it back to Ed Brown?
Old 12-12-2018, 09:47 PM

I would send it back
WC TSG 9/45 Vickers Elite 9mm EDC X9/Nighthawk Classic Bob Marvel SS 9mm/EB PATRIOT 3 EB KC/KC LW/SACS TGO-1 PC9111 Nowlin PC9111R PC9102 Nowlin PC9104/Colt SCGRG SCGRGC M45/Anvi III /MEUSOC 1911/1943 Ithaca/Les Baer 1.5 TR NRA Life Member
Old 12-13-2018, 07:04 AM

I would find a local competent smith before I sent it back to Brown.

All it needs are a couple of file strokes on the tang of the grip safety. A local guy can do that while you're there in front of him and through trial and error you can get it just the way you want it.

It's a 5 minute job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2018, 10:58 AM

do you need to grip it hard or depress it fully, there's a difference
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: Benchmark Precision bobtail, Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, WC EDC X9S, NH T4, NH Counselor, Staccato C and a G43 -- 38 Super's: GI Government, WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, WC Sentinel Compact and a mid 70's Colt Commander (for a build, off to NH already)

Last edited by azguy1911; 12-13-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:55 PM

Maybe the sear spring have found its way out of the proper position? I would check that first to confirm it.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:48 PM

I will take a look at it
Old 12-15-2018, 07:06 PM

I'm not sure we understand your issue.

If you press the grip safety with your finger, does it move easily or is it rubbing?

www.blackrivertraining.com
Old 12-19-2018, 05:28 PM

It feels like it is hitting the trigger bow .
Old 12-19-2018, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall357 View Post
Check the sear spring; that is the three leaf spring that operates the dis-connector, grip safety, and trigger pull weight. The right hand leaf (looking at it from the back of the pistol) of that spring operates the grip safety function.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 12-20-2018, 07:30 PM

So what should I be looking for with the spring ?
Old 12-20-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
It's not too difficult for the typical three-prong "leaf" spring to be inadvertently mis-installed so that not everything is contacting the surface that it is supposed to contact.

I'm not sure that I can offer a better explanation, but if you have good mechanical intuition (as do most people who dis-assemble and reassemble 1911s), I think you can probably figure out on your own whether "everything" is in proper contact with what it is supposed to contact .. to exert spring pressure.

Still, even though this (sear spring installation) is an obvious "first thing" to check for, I'm not completely confident that this is the cause of the very significant issue you've described at the start. I hope it is, because that's an easy fix. But I'm not sure.

It is almost certainly not a break-in type of issue. Something is not right, and for critical SD purposes, this cannot be.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 12-20-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:36 PM

[QUOTE] I would send it back

So would I. Something's not right here.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 12-21-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
The grip safety cannot hit the trigger bow.

Quote:
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you have to ask this question, you'll likely not see any issues with the spring even if you look at it. It sounds like you need a little more experience with the 1911.

The smart thing at this point is to send it back. I'm positive they'll get it fixed up perfect for you.

But, if you're adamant that you don't want to send it in, I'm sure we can help. First, have you ever done a detail strip (not to be confused with a field strip) of your 1911?

Old 12-21-2018, 07:08 PM

Either sending it back straightaway or taking a look at the spring would be a reasonable action. Totally depends on what you're comfortable with.

If you happen to know a local pistolsmith that you're comfortable with (done business with before), that would also be reasonable. But personally, I would not take a brand new EB 1911 to a pistolsmith I had no previous experience with. E.g., it is not unheard of for a 1911 to come back from an "unknown" gunsmith with scratches or other damage to the finish. It shouldn't happen, of course, but the world is what it is, not necessarily the way we think it should be.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 12-21-2018, 09:41 PM

I think I will take your advice and send it back to EB , the pistol is brand new and too much money to be sent to another gunsmith. Thank you all and Merry Christmas !
Old 12-21-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastoff View Post
The grip safety cannot hit the trigger bow. ...
***???? That's how a grip safety works.....by blocking the trigger bow....

Or are you saying that it SHOULDN'T contact the trigger bow once its depressed...????

Dont say it CAN'T. It DOES. It SHOULD....It damn well BETTER.....until its depressed.....at which point it should NOT.

Pretty sure you know how it works.....but I think your description is confusing.....as hell......
Old 12-21-2018, 10:41 PM

^^^^

I was wondering as well ... but didn't wish to wade into those waters. Probably semantics, or something like that..

Anyway, looks like a good course of corrective action is being undertaken. So, with that, here's wishing Happy Holidays and a great working 1911 very soon for the New Year.

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 12-21-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:12 PM

Yes, it shouldn't touch the trigger bow once depressed. It shouldn't touch the trigger bow while being depressed. It shouldn't drag on the trigger bow.

If it is, either it's horribly maladjusted or you're pressing the trigger while trying to depress the grip safety. Your finger is out of the trigger guard, right?

Old 12-22-2018, 10:38 AM

https://armspro.com/1911s-and-their-...d-sear-spring/
Old 12-22-2018, 06:30 PM

I'm not an expert , I have a few 1911s , a few Colts and a Springfield , I grip the pistols , and pull the trigger. I do not even notice the Grip Safety. The Kobra Carry , is an awesome 1911 with an great trigger , the Grip Safety, just does not feel right. I will just send it back to Ed Brown. I am sure they will fix it. Since I'm sending it back I will probably have a little custom work done to it.