Addiction? - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-19-2018, 12:26 PM

My holster addiction know no bounds, here is a rig made by the great Matt Del Fatti for one of my single actions. The fit of this holster is nothing short of perfect.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:01 PM

Thanks for clarifying the difference between the original SS and the SS2 regarding boning JB.

And as far as your holster collection goes, I say anything worth doing is worth overdoing!
Old 10-22-2018, 11:27 AM

More of my addiction...

The belt, holster, and mag-carrier all made by John Ralston at 5 Shot Leather. The holster is his Old School Speed Scabbard and for range work this remains one of my favorite holsters to wear. Itís comfortable, secure, and fast while also looking outstanding and oozing pure class. Itís good that I was able to have a quality photo of the rig taken because none of it looks anywhere near that new any longer.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:36 PM

At least the guns are all different. So in my medical opinion, your good.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:05 AM

Man I like those summer specials....has me wanting one to try out over my crossbreed. I know barranti leather makes something similar too.

THe IBS with the sewn loops, is that more annoying to use since you have to thread it on the belt?
Old 10-24-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post
Man I like those summer specials....has me wanting one to try out over my crossbreed.
If you try a Summer Special you'll likely find there is no comparison between the two... but I could be biased.

Quote:
The IBS with the sewn loops, is that more annoying to use since you have to thread it on the belt?
Not at all, but the truth is I always thread my belt through the loops regardless of the attachment/closure. The only time I ever use the snaps is if I need to take it off without removing my belt.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:42 AM

Another one from my continuing addiction... this set is from Erik Little at Rafter L Combat Leather.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Burton View Post
Another one from my continuing addiction... this set is from Erik Little at Rafter L Combat Leather.
I have two of his Selous Scout holsters with mag carrier (smooth inside and out) for my full-size 1911's, need to get one or two for my Pro size guns..he makes a very classy holster.

And for most range-training days I have a few of the Spark's 1AT-RT's in both sizes. I have been planning on a Thad Rybka Rhodesian as well. Ugh, this does become an addiction in and of itself!

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 10-27-2018, 01:57 PM

Addiction? What addiction? Photo to follow from RickyT.
People need to be periodically reminded that guns are just tools and that their resale value is your children's problem.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Let's not hijack Jason's thread with too much of our own addition.

Here is markwell's version of his addition, especially post #100:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthr...=892458&page=4
Old 10-27-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Burton View Post

That looks like a nice rendition of the design. Great photography, by the way.

I recall Rafter L used to offer a sewn loop. It's no longer listed on the main page, but it is shown on another page ("historical", or "old designs" or similar). Do you know if the sewn loop version still available?
Old 10-27-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
That looks like a nice rendition of the design. Great photography, by the way.

I recall Rafter L used to offer a sewn loop. It's no longer listed on the main page, but it is shown on another page ("historical", or "old designs" or similar). Do you know if the sewn loop version still available?
Contact Matt Delfatti. He originated it.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Kanaley View Post
Contact Matt Delfatti. He originated it.
Yes indeed... as I recall that is one of the reasons Erik at Rafter L no longer offers the sewn loop.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:47 AM

More of my addiction with a couple of vintage rigs... pictured at top is a set from Alfonsoís of Hollywood, CA and below it is a Milt Sparks 120 rig. The Swenson Colts in each help complete the vintage look.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:37 AM

^^^^

Wowser, really, really nice.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 10-28-2018, 08:47 PM

Another combo from my collection... Bruce Nelson Summer Special and #50 single mag pouch with a Swenson built Colt stuck in the middle.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:55 AM

Not an uncommon situation. I have 3 Holsters and 2 double Magazine Holders still in the shipping packages. Justified them to myself using my wife's logic. All purchased during seasonal sales (Veterans Day, Father's Day, Holidays). After 50+ years of marriage, my wife has no defense.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:53 PM

Jason, why the SS and not the SS2? I realize there are a few differences...at least ride height and sweat shield. Asking inasmuch as your reviews/comments paint you as a no-kidding aficionado of this holster style...be it Sparks or Ralston. I’ve carried VM2 and Criterion at 4 and 5 o clock, and want to try a Summer Special nearer 3 o clock for a Guncrafter CCO. Very interested to hear your take. Thank you sir.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:49 PM

This is an AWESOME thread! I too have a leather addiction. This is making me want to put in an order for another Milt Sparks and Rafter L..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2018, 04:36 PM

I too have a problem. Sorry for the thread hijack, but I think Mr. Burton would approve of some of these. A few Milt Sparks, a Del Fatti, a TT Gunleather, Palmetto Leatherworks, and Warbird Leather all represented here. Milt Sparks is definitely my go to. The consistency, fit, and craftsmanship is really second to none. For absolute class and workmanship at the top of the game, Del Fatti is where itís at, but as most of you probably know, not exactly usually readily available for order. TT is also very high quality stuff as is the Warbird and Paul of Warbird is excellent to deal with. Iím also impressed with this Palmetto Leatherworks rig. A couple of my other favorites that are not pictured are 5 Shot and Rafter-L. Enjoy!

Old 11-03-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klickboom View Post
Jason, why the SS and not the SS2? I realize there are a few differences...at least ride height and sweat shield. Asking inasmuch as your reviews/comments paint you as a no-kidding aficionado of this holster style...be it Sparks or Ralston. Iíve carried VM2 and Criterion at 4 and 5 o clock, and want to try a Summer Special nearer 3 o clock for a Guncrafter CCO. Very interested to hear your take. Thank you sir.
To start with the original Summer Special was my first good IWB. I cut my teeth on it to say the least. From my early days of gun toting and the positive experience Iíve had with the holster it became and has remained the IWB by which I judge all others.

I like the trim profile and low bulk of the S/S design, I never found myself wanting for a sweat shield/body guard and like the ability to Ďfeelí the thumb safety on the 1911 if need be. Even with designs that are derivatives of the Summer Special I still opt out of a body guard/sweat shield if possible.

For positioning I wear the holster so the rear sight is just behind the point of my hip, call it 3:15ish. The ride height of the S/S, which is generally higher compared to other holster designs, also allows for generous room between the top of the belt and the front strap of the pistol. These things combine for a holster that allows me to carry a large handgun with adequate concealment while providing exceptional access to the pistol and a fast presentation.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:02 PM

Man you really have me wanting one of the summer special styles...im torn between a legit milt sparks, or a barranti summer classic(local to PA)
Old 11-04-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Man you really have me wanting one of the summer special styles...im torn between a legit milt sparks, or a barranti summer classic(local to PA)

Just my opinion, but Iíd go to Brownells.com and order one of their in stock Milt Sparks Summer Specials. Milt Sparks quality and consistency is really hard to beat.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
This is not at all a slight against Mike Barranti, I have one of his tooled Threepersons rigs and it is outstanding. Barranti does excellent work. However, if you have yet to wear a Summer Special and are wanting to try one for a Government or Commander Model my recommendation is always to get the original Milt Sparks Summer Special.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:03 PM

Right, although brownells only carries the summer special 2. And this if for a 5” govt